Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
A/C And The Basement

I understand the basement is heated by the furnace so that the items in there do not freeze in the winter. We have spent a couple of weeks on the Gulf coast, where it has been very hot requiring both A/Cs... whenever I open one of the side basement doors, I am met by cool air.

Is 'cool' air supposed to be there? If so, how does it get there?

Thanks.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't think that is intentional or a design characteristic. You may have some duct leakage somewhere. If all your ducts are sound, then I suspect since cold air falls, it may be getting there through the heater ducting system. All this is speculation on my part.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have been met with that blast of refreshing air. I just assumed (Yup U & Me)it was coming from ducting in the basement. I'll have to check a little closer next time out.
Don't think I need to air condition anything in the basement, unless it becomes the "Dog House!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We are in Harlingen Texas right now and I opened up the basement to take out something this morning. I did feel cold air coming out of the area. Really don't want to AC to basement, so I am interested in people in the know. I do have the heater vent covered up near the vacumn and the trash can is on the vent in the kitchen. The couch is over the one near the bay window. That leaves the one near the bed open. The temperature in the basement was pretty cool. Sure don't want to AC that in 100 degree weather if we don't have to.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Basements are always that way aren't they? We always used to move to the basement in the summer.

I wonder if it just backfeeds through the leaks around the furnace enclosure? The floor between the bedroom and below is not insulated either, so it might just be radiating through.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think Brad and Stiles are on it. The return air will feed the basement area somewhat. It is the 'cold air falls' deal. Keep the fan(s) on high on the A/C units, that will help circulation in the living areas. Also the ceiling fan on high.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
On our Big Sky the air just flows right through the grates under the stairs and into the basement. I have also felt cool air coming out of the basement furnace vent down there. I have replaced two of the four floor registers with flapper style grates, and would do all of them but if they get kicked shut all at the same time the flex duct all blows off when the furnace kicks on. So I just cut some old magnetic sign sheets to fit the grates and cover them with that. If the furnace kicks on then the mag sheets just pop off, plus they keep summer sand and dust out of the heating system...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I do cover the furnace return air grate under the stairs...guess I'll try covering the heat vents too.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Ours, just like Exnavydiver, just flows through the grates of the stairs to the bedroom. In fact I can see right into the stairs when in the basement by looking in the vent between the basement and the stairs. There is not a heater hose connected to this vent between the stairs and the basement, allowing air to flow between the two area. Isn't everyones like that?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had the same situation with all 5 of our 5er's. Just checked and the new 2009 (SOB) does the same thing. Its impossible to make these things air tight. Its hot here about a 100 degrees. Getting after market installed that is compatable with the Disk Brake system. The brakes aren't compatable with the GM or Ford Trucks with the IBC. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Not sure if I got that last comment Delaine and Lindy. You say that the integrated brake controller is not compatible with your new SOB. Who makes the axles?
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Be carefull covering that vent opening, where is you converter?? If in the basement it cant breath the cool air. My unit does the same thing with it being cool down there.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
No problem...the converter is over and in back of the toilet.

These things are so drafty, I can't imagine anything overheating from the lack of air cooling.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #14
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
when you run the air conditioner you create a positive pressure in the unit. Two airconditioners even more so. The air coming in has to leak out somewhere, hence the flow through the vents and the grate under the stairs. As most know, the basement doors are not very air tight and there are bulkhead penetrations to the LP storage areas which are open on the bottom. You should be able to feel cool air flowing out of there, out of the stove hood vent and if you climb up on the rig out of the attic vent pipes.

Some folks swear that running the fantastic fan is the answer. I have found that even on slower speeds it pulls out air faster than the A/C units push air in and you end up sucking air in from the basement (hot - in this case!). I will run the Fantastic Fan the first couple of minutes upon arriving at a site to remove the super heated air that built up during travel. Normally it goes off when I finally have ac power available and turn on the A/C system.

I guess, there are worse things than having the air beneath the bedroom cooled by a little leakage from the living room. Better than having a lot of hot air trapped down there.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

when you run the air conditioner you create a positive pressure in the unit. Two airconditioners even more so. The air coming in has to leak out somewhere, hence the flow through the vents and the grate under the stairs.
Not sure what kind of AC units you are running Bill, but the grill work on my Dometic AC cowling is just to circulate air past the condensor. They are not outside air intakes. My AC units are strictly recirculation type, with no make up or relief air in the design. It may seem like they pressurize the unit, but they cannot by design. They just move air around.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #16
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I might be mistaken.....wouldn't be the first time, and while I can hope it might be the last it would be a mistake to think so....
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote