Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Re-reading this thread, I wonder if we're talking the same problem you're asking about. My comments have related to the frame problem in the overhang area.

But earlier Montanas had another frame problem that Keystone fixed also. That one was with the models with the 8-inch frame. I know 2003 and later have the larger 10-inch frame that does not have this particular problem. I'm not sure which frame the 2002 models have. I think Keystone has fixed the 8 inchers even when no problem is apparent. But the overhang problem I don't think works that way. I think they fix those only when there is a problem since this does not occur but in a small percentage of them.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -

Should I be looking at my 2005 3400 for cracks. I was aware of the earlier issue but knew that had been remedied. This problem is in the hitch area? We probably won't get Monty out this year until early May. Thanks in advance.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #23
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Steve
We have the same question.

We have the same year and model as you.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #24
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have a 2001 2880RL and it has the 10" beam for the support underneath. I don't see any flexing on the overhang as I checked it with the trailer hitched up. I do have the bedroom crack in the lower corner of the bedroom slide and didn't have any luck with the outfit that I was to contact for repairs recommended by the dealer.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #25
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
We are having the same problem with our king pin box, the forward rectangler tubing beam that the pin box is welded to had metal fatigue and tore. When this happend the four inside corners of the pin box tore and caused the rig to drop from 8 inches above the truck side rails to 4 inches and the closet floor to raise 4 inches inside the rig. After noticing this problem on a trip last month in Mesa, AZ., we immediately stopped at a Montana dealer, who contacted Montana with no reply back. They then got a hold of Lippert who sent a rep out to check on it and then said we were past our warranty period by 6 months. They warranty it for 2 years, we have had our rig 2 1/2 years. We had it repaired by a outside welding company that put in a new beam and rectangler tubing at our cost, only to drive back to California and notice that there still is a flex problem. In contacting Team Montana they said since we bolted brackets on the back frame to hold a cargo basket for our 2 bicycles, that voided the warranty, and they will not fix the problem. From what I am reading this doesn't seem like a warranty problem, it is more like a recall type problem. Regardless, it is useless to us as is, so we have taken it to a RV Service Center near home and they have taken off the bottom undercovering under the king pin box area and exposed the pin box and raised the rig with a fork lift and it showed flex in the new rectangler steel beam that we had installed in Mesa. Now they are going to pull the front cap for more investigation. Any ideas as to how and who to call at Montana to help us with this problem. Team Montana or service adviser, Denny Marsh, isn't any help. They seem to not want to talk to us or answer emails. HELP!!
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bigred715, starting with the 2003 models Keystone put an expansion joint at that corner to absorb the stress and eliminate the crack. That's been the fix on the older models, too. At the same time they've had the dealers drop the pan from the overhang and check for cracks or broken welds.

I still can't find that picture but will see if I can create another and edit this post to include the picture.

The arrows show where we saw the gaps when we had the overhang frame problem. Check all along that trim including the corners. You'll see where the trim is pulled away from the caulk line if you have this problem.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #27
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
You are right on target. Where the arrows are is where the caulking seperated from the angle material. This is how I suspected we still had a problem. To everyone, at the first sighting of anything looking not normal, check it out before it gets worse. Will keep posting as we progress with repairs.
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I ran across another picture showing the gap at the lower corner, when hitched up. This was on our 2003 3295RK, not our 2007 3400RL. We've had no problem of this sort with the 2007.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron and Laura, I would just check that area when I hitch up. Just keep an eye on it. I think it's really a small percentage that have had the problem but hopefully this will tell you what to watch for.

We also noticed on our 2003 when it had this problem that the dresser dropped about a quarter inch where it butted up against the closet wall, below the television cabinet. We could tell it dropped because the dresser was a quarter inch below the caulking. But it came back up when unhitched. Others may not do this but it's something else to watch for.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #30
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
RE a couple of quotes from the posting above by Ed and Carol:

" the forward rectangler tubing beam that the pin box is welded to had metal fatigue and tore. When this happend the four inside corners of the pin box tore and caused the rig to drop from 8 inches above the truck side rails to 4 inches and the closet floor to raise 4 inches inside the rig."

AND, THEN.....

In contacting Team Montana they said since we bolted brackets on the back frame to hold a cargo basket for our 2 bicycles, that voided the warranty, and they will not fix the problem."

I'm confused...what the h---do the bolted on brackets on the rear have to do with any frame failure condition on the front?? If it was a failure at the rear, maybe, but in the front!! Seems as though extra weight at the back would only lessen the stresses up front, if the total weight is within limits....what's going on here?? Is Keystone looking for a B.S. excuse to avoid standing by their product? Sure hope not!! Companies live on their reputation for honesty...when that goes, so goes their business.

Folks contemplating putting on a rear hitch to haul bikes might want to consider Ed and Carols's input..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote