Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
+1 for checking the LED code. If it's the insufficient pressure code, that's likely the sail switch. I guess it's pretty common and often just requires a cleaning rather than a replacement.

I went through this last month.

In the past I've had water on the board (in SOB) and that was more of a nuisance, but it was easily removed and dried.

LED code will get you checking the right thing, including gas feed if that's actually the issue.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I had a simular problem with my 2019 305RL. Turned out to be a crimped gas line in the PS propane storage bay. Mine was so bad the furnace would not even light and if I ran one burner on the stove all was good. But when I turned on the second and third burners, there was not enough gas flow to keep them lit. Dealer fixed under warrenty.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #23
Swanns

M.O.C. #23503
Furnace issue

Hi we just bought a 2019 High Country 321MK. Had the same issue. Everything worked, full tanks, etc. turns out water had entered the panel outside. The way the panel door sits water dropped in, not down. It’s a design flaw. The tech dried the interior and we placed tape across the top to cover so rain didn’t enter. Since then no matter how hard it rainnthe furnace is fine. Try it.
Swanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #24
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshy1010 View Post
Went through all the Atwood crap this winter. The newer Montana's have a water intrusion issue, you need to pull the cover off and look for water. While you have the cover off have someone turn the therostat off and on, there is a light that goes green then red if it is flashing order an new control card (on Amazon for $80 ) might as well order a sail switch too. These two pieces are easy to fix with a small cross point screw driver. The other part of the equation is the thermostat it is probably ok but keep it in mind. Our unit is 4 years old and the manual swithover lever with regulator was only moving part way over causing low gas pressure particularly when it got down into the 30's. Good luck.
Crosspoint screwdriver ?, is that also known as a phillips.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #25
Ed C
Established Member

M.O.C. #22849
I had this happen on a previous 5th wheel, not a Montana, and when it was fairly new. Turns out the problem was dust and dirt in the exterior compartment. Once vacuumed and blown out with compressed air, the problem was solved. We were living in it full time, while our house was being built on the property. Took it on a trip to some colder weather, and oops.... Seems we lived in a dusty/dirty environment, and our first trip encountered a sandstorm in the Coachella Valley, California. Once cleaned, did not have any problems after.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #26
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
sail switch 90 percent of the time.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #27
Normmendy56

M.O.C. #23515
Mud dabbers/Wasps have built a home in your furnace, same thing happened to us. $300 fix service Dept
Normmendy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #28
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
2 words (and it did the same exact symptom on mine)..................... mud daubers.

2012 Montana 3582RL
2013 Ford F350SD King Ranch Dually
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #29
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
I dissassembled mine and cleaned it out. It was an all afternoon job at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. There was a mud dauber nest built right where the flame ignited.

2012 Montana 3582RL
2013 Ford F350SD King Ranch Dually
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #30
BarkingCrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #23127
Update on this...

After speaking with the dealer and confirming it wouldn't void the warranty or create any issues, I removed the panel for the gas furnace to check a few things. The sail switch was fine - no dirt, moisture, etc. - and there was no nest for any type of critter. Actually, it looked exactly the way I expected it to for a brand new RV. However, the Off/Reset switch seemed to be sitting between the Off and Reset position. I don't know if this things acts like a breaker and will flip if there is a surge/spike, but it didn't appear to be fully engaged. I turned it completely off, waiting a few minutes, and turned it back on. Went inside and POOF, the furnace is working great.

We did have some recent storms and the RV park lost power for a couple of hours, so perhaps it did flip the switch. We have a surge protector at the main connection, so if there was a surge, hopefully it prevented any serious damage.

Thanks again for all the responses.

D
BarkingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #31
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Great news your furnace is now working.. and you know now where things are located at for future reference if need be.. The manual off/on switch on the furnace body itself is actually a “service” switch to use when working on the unit..it shouldn’t trip on you in the future....
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #32
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
My Montana is four weeks old and the furnace never worked properly. The 15 amp DC fuse was blown from the very beginning come to find out the circuit is overloaded had 15.5 A it took three fuses and they found one that wouldn’t clear so Camping World says it’s fixed, but it shouldn’t be at 15.5 Dometic said that it should run at 8 A, what are your thoughts
Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #33
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
What model is your Montana ?
Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #34
pebbles

M.O.C. #22913
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingCrow View Post
2019 Montana High Country 331RL

Hoping for a few suggestions on what to check on this. We've been full timing in the RV since 12/01/2018 and things have been great. For some reason, the gas furnace has stopped igniting (I think). It kicks on, and the fan runs for 10-12 seconds, but then it turns off. The air coming out of the vent is the normal room temp - no heated air at all.

The gas is working great for the water heater. All 3 eyes on the stove and the oven work fine. The tanks are full... just had them refilled late last week.

Any idea what's going on? It's not super cold where we are, and it's fine to let the faucets drip a little to prevent any freezing, as we're at a place with full hookups. I don't understand why it suddenly stopped working though.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

BC
We have a new 2019 3121RL and had the same problem. Thought it was the thermostat but it wasn't. It was the sails switch. Good luck in getting one, they're back ordered. Took us 3 weeks to get one. We had to rely on the electric fireplace and bought an electric heater. Funny thing, it would work sometimes. The technician had 22 of them on back order so that told us it's a factory defect.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #35
stevekbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #14073
go on line and search for that switch. I got a spare from a place in Oregon. 20 bucks give or take.
I got reimbursed from keystone for service call and they paid for the spare switch.
Nice of them.
stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #36
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
[QUOTE=BarkingCrow;1133540]2019 Montana High Country 331RL

Hoping for a few suggestions on what to check on this. We've been full timing in the RV since 12/01/2018 and things have been great. For some reason, the gas furnace has stopped igniting (I think). It kicks on, and the fan runs for 10-12 seconds, but then it turns off. The air coming out of the vent is the normal room temp - no heated air at all.

The gas is working great for the water heater. All 3 eyes on the stove and the oven work fine. The tanks are full... just had them refilled late last week.

Any idea what's going on? It's not super cold where we are, and it's fine to let the faucets drip a little to prevent any freezing, as we're at a place with full hookups. I don't understand why it suddenly stopped working though.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

BC[/QUOTEI am going on a limb and dying that I think it is the sail switch not opening. Mine did what yours is doing and that was my problem. I bent the sail a little only a little to catch the air better and all is fine.
]
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #37
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There is a generic furnace diagnosis guide in the Files section. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...?do=file&id=11

Perhaps that will help the diagnosis.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
There is a generic furnace diagnosis guide in the Files section. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...?do=file&id=11

Perhaps that will help the diagnosis.
Carl,

We currently have this issue as well. My Adobe reader isn't working at the moment. Can you send as a text file to me please.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #39
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Attached is a TXT version of the PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Montana - RV Furnace Troubleshooting-4.txt (20.8 KB, 107 views)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #40
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
With a multi meter...basic skill set..and a TS tree you can diagnose and repair these furnace issues yourself...

If fan comes on then you know you have DC power to fan and igniter control module...

After 3 attempts at lighting off furnace will go into lockout mode.

Now you need to elliminate sail switch and hi temp cutoff switch... eas6 to test with a meter for continuity...

Sail switch should indicate open in one direction and continuity the other direction when moving the vane.

Hi limit switch must indicated continuity always.. if it shows open it is bad

If the above two items test good and you aren’t hearing tell tale snap snap sound from igniter then either you’ve got a bad igniter or the control board is bad..

The dual coil solenoid valve for the propane is pretty reliable..
Most issues are one of 3 items listed above...

This applies to both Atwood and Suburban furnaces

The last gremlin that is popping up lately affects some units with the “In command” system... if you are having furnace issues some of the units have defective module boards which are mounted up on the AC units themselves.

These talk across a “CAN” module circuit and can be challenging to TS ....
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote