Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
dgriffin

M.O.C. #6227
Trouble with 3400 RL?

My sister and her husband fell in love with my 2004 Montana 2955RL & sold their 1999 Mobile Scout in order to buy a 2008 3400 RL. They took delivery about a month ago and have made 3 trips back to the Dealer for issues that needed to be addressed. The most chronic issue is that it is leaking around the kitchen slide-out. They also had a defective DVD player that had to be replaced and a multitude of smaller complaints that were pretty easy fixes. My brother-in-law asked me to log on and see what "Major" issues others might have experienced with their units. He is wondering if he may have a "lemon" at this point.

dgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry to hear they are having problems. As far as I know there are no "major" issues. Water leaks seem to be the most prevalent. We had the water from the kitchen slide/pantry area at first, too. If they take the cover off the convenience center (water hookup area) in the basement storage area, behind there are a bunch of water connections and the water pump. This is where all but one of our leaks came from. The water then seeps under the pantry and onto the kitchen floor.

The other leak we had was connections not tight on the tub faucet. That also showed up on the kitchen floor. There are access panels on the side of the tub where they can reach the connections.

The 3400RL is a good model. I hope they'll enjoy it. We sure like ours. I think with any RV you will initially have some small problems. It seems to be standard with the breed. Even million dollar plus Prevost class A motorhomes have problems when new. I do think the factory should do a better job of making sure the water connections are all tight, though.

If they have more problems, you can post them on MOC and hopefully someone can help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have had a few minor problems with ours. They are good units. We enjoy ours. Most of the trailers will have a few minor problems, which most of the time you can fix yourself. Being a new unit I would carry it back to the dealer to repair it.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
pooch

M.O.C. #7405
I just picked up my 2008 34RL last week and noticed the floor between the table and the couch is very flimsy to the point that the chairs on that side lean toward each other. When you stand in that area, there is a lot of flex. My 03 3575 had much stronger slide floors. Is there something wrong or do I need to lose a lot of weight? Is there any support beams in the slide floors at all? Any response would be a great help before I can get back to the dealer. Thanks, Pooch
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
CamprNick
Established Member

M.O.C. #7377
Knock on wood and cross my fingers. So far so good. The only think that we've had wrong with our unit is that the toilet isn't hold water and that is due to the ball and after this weekend that should be fixed. Apparently this was our fault due to we didn't have the pink stuff in that area of the toilet over the winter and this will sometimes cause you a problem. We love our Montana.
CamprNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
dgriffin and pooch, first of all, welcome to the forum. When we buy a new RV rig, we know that there are bugs that will have to be worked out. It's part of RV ownership. One of the best parts of owning a Montana is the support we get from Keystone, which is a big issue. Many of us could share stories of the help and repairs that they have provided us. Things are going to happen no matter what brand you buy. One of my favorite sayings is "when you own an RV, you don't need a hobby".

That said, there are things that we can fix ourselves and other issues that must be addressed by the company. Pooch, your sagging floor is an issue that should be fixed by your dealer, if not the factory. There has been a problem with sagging floors. I had hoped that they were resolved but apparently not.

A leak can be a long term annoyance. Hopefully, they'll find the source and be able to repair it soon. Doesn't sound like they qualify for the 'lemon' category yet.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
You are right steve, even the big high price trailers ,and motorhomes have problems. In the hot tub in Texas last winter, I heard all the horror stories, it was real interesting.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 AM   #8
pooch

M.O.C. #7405
JR. When you say there have been floor problems, do you mean they are all from water leaks? I am very aware of the hobby thing with RV's. I have fixed every thing but a floor. I called the factory about the sag in the floor and was told to visit my dealer and I will be back there in a couple of weeks. I am sad to here about the floor problems you mentioned and would appreciate any more info regarding that issue. Thanks for the welcome. Pooch
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Have them watch for water in the slide cupboards. A few of them have leaked like ours two weeks out of the factory. The dealer put wider and better tape over the other on the outside roof seem and it has been dry ever since. Congrates to their new rig they will love it.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dgriffin,

Don't "lemon" it yet! There have been some issues with water, but I think it is related to the outside tape seals that mudchief is talking about, as well as some slide sag on the superslide.

We took advice from the MOC and caulked the taped seals on the outside of all of the slides, and we also faithfully check the slide seals whenever we set up to make sure they are out. Ironically we have driven it through heavy rains (no leaks) but have never had it rained on while set up yet!! Guess someday I'll find out if ours leaks or not.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote