Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
12 volt system not working

Hi All:
The 12 volt system in my 2013 Montana RE 3800 does not work when not plugged in to shore power. I have a RVI Progressive PD 4590 Power control centre. I have 2 new 6v deep cycle batteries ( thinking this was my problem ) ( Delco 6v deep cycle 845A batteries ). I believe I have checked breakers and fuses. The Power Control PD 4590 was replaced Feb 2016 by a certified RV tech in Penticton, BC.
I have nearly always operated my slides and leveling system when attached to shore power. If I unplug from shore power all I get is a "click" when trying to operate leveling system.
I am stuck here in Oliver, BC. Trying to get across the border and to our winter haunts in Apache Junction, AZ. It is getting COLD here.
I have spent some time at the Montana Owners Club web site but am confused. Thank you for any help.
Special hello to H John Kohl. Thank you for your kindness.
Golfer Dave

Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
Hook up jumpers from tow vehicle to batteries direct should allow you to get hooked up and on the road. Next time hooked up to shore power check with meter to make sure you are getting 14 volts dc to batteries.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
Oh before you do the above I assume you hooked up 7 pin connector and that may be enough to get 12 volt system working.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Sounds like you have a bad contention between your batteries and the rig or your converter is not charging the batt's when on shore power check your 12 volt contentions between the batteries and up to the fuss panel seen this problem before and it was a bad
contention going to the converter!

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Also check your battery cut off switch is not turned off
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
So many things could be the issue here. Did you check the four 25 amp fuses in the converter upper right corner? It very well could be that with very cold weather that the auto reset breaker is opening immediately due to higher than normal current draw by the pump motor. You can short across the two connections on the breaker as that is what the breaker does when operating normally. If you short the connections and can now work the systems, then that is your issue. On my 2013 3800re, the auto reset is in lower right position on wall behind battery.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave View Post
Hi All:
The 12 volt system in my 2013 Montana RE 3800 does not work when not plugged in to shore power. I have a RVI Progressive PD 4590 Power control centre. I have 2 new 6v deep cycle batteries ( thinking this was my problem ) ( Delco 6v deep cycle 845A batteries ). I believe I have checked breakers and fuses. The Power Control PD 4590 was replaced Feb 2016 by a certified RV tech in Penticton, BC.
I have nearly always operated my slides and leveling system when attached to shore power. If I unplug from shore power all I get is a "click" when trying to operate leveling system.
I am stuck here in Oliver, BC. Trying to get across the border and to our winter haunts in Apache Junction, AZ. It is getting COLD here.
I have spent some time at the Montana Owners Club web site but am confused. Thank you for any help.
Special hello to H John Kohl. Thank you for your kindness.
Golfer Dave
Golfer Dave: My suggestion to you would be to follow these steps in diagnosing your problem.
1) Disconnect your batteries and determine the voltage at the batteries, if they are wired properly as in "series" you should have at least 12.8v between the neg post on one battery to the positive post on the other.
2) Check all connections at and from the batteries, ie: to the circuit breakers, the ground cable, and circuit breakers to the pump solenoid.
3) Ensure the battery disconnect switch is in the "on" position, this means the key cannot be removed.
4) Check the 4 - 25 amp fuses in the converter, these are reverse polarity fuses to protect the converter should the batteries be improperly connected.
5) While plugged into shore power, check the voltage at the large terminals in the converter that lead to ground and your batteries. You should have at least 13.2 volts there, this voltage might be higher depending on what charge state the converter is in. This voltage will be present regardless of a connection to the batteries, for instance if the disconnect switch is in the "off" position (key can be removed). Assuming the 4 - 25 amp fuses are good this will tell you if you have a converter issue.

More often than not the problem turns out to be a grounding or connection problem, however taking these steps will help determine other possible issues.
Good luck, hope you are able to get on the road before the forecast snow hits the area.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi All:
Thank you my friends on the Montana Forum. Got my answer. Problem solved.
Usually many problems have an easy solution. Mine was to replace the in-line 50 Amp breaker located behind the batteries ( as was suggested by H John Kohl and others ) Simple. Repaired it myself. No cost for RV tech.
Part # AT421-s in-line 50 A breaker. Cost $ 6.00 at Leisureland RV in Penticton B.C.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have to replace that breaker again, or if you start having problems bringing in the slides in cold weather, Keystone replaced mine with an 80amp breaker under warranty and didn't have a problem for six years after and then we traded it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
Stan and Linda
Established Member

M.O.C. #21829
Hello all, im reading the threads for battery issues. The info has been great, but some have used a term: 12 volt contention. What is this? thanx.
Stan and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I believe it is a typo for connection.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That evil auto correct thing is at it again.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote