Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Travel from Calif to Texas

We would like to make our first long trip. All other trips have been 2-3 hours away from home.

This trip will be from Sacramento Ca. to San Antonio Texas.
We know that this trip should be about 3 days.

Any advice on routes?

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

The easiest will be taking the I-10 across AZ, NM and TX. Wouldn't it be the I-5 south in Cal. to pick up the I-10?

Traveling this time of year will be a little warm be prepared. San Antonio's a great place to visit. The River walk and the Alamo were super.

Have a wonderful trip,

Steve
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Looks like it might be easier to take 99 from Sacramento in CA, then at Bakersfield, 58 through Mojave to Kramer Junction, south on 395 to I-15 through Cajon Pass which will then connect to I-10 - this will avoid the Grapevine, going into the LA basin and tons of traffic - BTW, this will be our route coming back from Oregon this summer -I think I would allow more than 3 days for Sacramento to SA, that's a lot of heavy driving - we go from San Antonio to Benson, AZ every year and take 3 days just to there - just a thought - have a great trip!

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Suzanne except for one additional turn to avoid even more traffic. Coming down from Cajon Pass the I-215 splits off from the I-15. The I-215 will take you to the I-10 and will avoid the traffic around the Ontario Airport and all the truck terminals in that area. We have made hundreds of trip between North and South CA and this is our preferred route although we do use the I-5 and cut over to the 99 on the 46. We prefer the 5 because there are more accessible services and a great steak house - Harris Ranch - at Coalinga.
Happy trails....................
Happy trailss...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Suzanne, makes a good observation about the miles per day. It's over 1700 mi. acording to my "Streets and Trips" programme.

When traveling we use 50/55 mi. per. hr. as a guide accounting for Fueling, potty stops, leg stretching and food. That's moving along at 65mph.

600 mi. equates to 11/12 Hrs. for us. We're Retired now, when working we use to do it though, putting in those 12 Hr. days of driving.

Please be safe at all costs.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Parrothead - good point about the I-215 cutoff - we are going to Glen Ivy RV Prk in Corona for 5 days which is on the I-15 - recommend any RV Parks in Bakersfield? Might be persuaded to try that steak house out, too!

S
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
We are going the other direction from San Antonio to Sacramento in June. I was interested in the comments about the travel from nothern to southern California. We will be spending several days in San Diego and then in Anaheim. Any suggestions about getting out of Anaheim and on up to Sacramento are appreciated.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Chuck and Suzanne
There are several good parks in Bakersfield. We have always used Orange Grove but there is a new one that we used coming home from the Buellton rally and plan to use it going to Shasta. The problem is I can't remember the name. Send a PM to HamRad and Dennis can give you the info. Dennis and Mary Kay are who told us about it.

Mark and Suanne
I-5 runs through the Anaheim/Fullerton area and so it would seem logical to just on the 5 and stay there. However, you will hit tons of traffic, lane changes, etc. as well as having to pull the Grapevine (mountains). I would recommend to take the 57 east over to the 10 south, then the 15, the 395 and the 58 as described above. The mountains on the 58 north are a much easier climb than the grapevine. And you will see a lot of RV's and trucks on that route as it is preferred by many RVers. This is a few miles further but a much easier drive and in the long run may be quicker. After the 58 runs into the 99, you can either take the 99 on to Sacramento or go over to the 5 to Sacramento. We prefer the 5 because there is no city traffic to speak of through the Central Valley, there are nice rest areas, food and fuel. If I can be of more help, please let me know.
Happy trails................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
Retired Pilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #6630
JUST DID IT IN REVERSE I-10 TO I-8 T0 TO 395 TO RENO I-80 TO SAC. PLEASANT DRIVE.
Retired Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We made the trip earlier this year and travelled the road less travelled. Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. We made stops in Tombstone, Las Cruces, White Sands, Roswell, Abiline and finally home to Sulphur Springs. I can look up my route if interested. It was all good road and I enjoyed it more than the interstate. And in San Antonio (We will be there next weekend) you must try eating Pico de Gallo near the Mercado. The Riverwalk is a must see. There is also Sea World. And in the interest of history the Alamo is worthwile. There are several missions with a lot of history.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We sort of got into two different discussions here, but that's fine...

Re the LA area transit info Sue and Ed sent, right on the $$. Only thing I have to add re Anaheim - Sacramento is that timing is everything when traveling through the LA Basin. Sunday is very best, the earlier the better. Saturday is next best, early is also better.

During the week days, I wouldn't even think of hauling the Monty through the LA Basin between 0600 and 1030 or 1500 to 1900. If you are headed for Bakersfield, start early...0430 or so. Once you are east or north of central LA, things will be better, as you are then going against the primary "flow" into the area.

We usually use Orange Grove RV in Bakersfield. Dennis will have info on the newer place.

For Kevin and Denise, we've made that general trip 3 or 4 times. For the trip Sacramento to Texas, we would allow 5 days for 1700 miles. Four days would be "do-able", but really stretching it. Part of the problem is limited overnight facilities between Tucson and the I-10 * I-20 split in W. Texas. (Let's hear it for Van Horn!!) There are several discussions in earlier threads re that routing. Let me know if you want any route info from our past trips.

Safe trails!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
patodonn-
Sure I will take all the info and advice you have!

Right now I'm a little discouraged with this whole Air Force thing. If my son graduates on June 1st. we are 4-5 days away from leaving if we plan to drive with trailer. If we fly then we don't leave till the 30th.

Making plans to fly is super expensive for refundable tickets. Non-refundable tickets we could trade for different dates, but only on space avail. Many have recommended this is not a good idea since we need an exact date to be there. (Won't even get into the Hotel reservations and changing dates if needed...again more $'s)

Problem is my son could be delayed one to two weeks. My son got real sick the first week and missed one test. He doesn't know if that will affect him.

Yep! any info you have will be helpful.......I'm making A and B plans.
I wish the Air Force would let the "Air Men" know earlier of graduating dates. so it would take the stress off of the family. Uuuugh!
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 AM   #13
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Good luck to your son and hopefully you will find out his graduation date pretty soon. Our son is currently attending field training for AFROTC at Maxwell AFB. As a retired Air Force officer I am proud of all those that have chosen to serve our armed forces
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote