Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Awning Lock

Did a search but could not find this covered. Does anyone use an awning lock? Recently saw a tv program where one was installed and want to ask if anyone had ne. any history with the awning coming unfurled while traveling? Thanks in advance.

Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Buffpilot

Did a search but could not find this covered. Does anyone use an awning lock? Recently saw a tv program where one was installed and want to ask if anyone had ne. any history with the awning coming unfurled while traveling? Thanks in advance.
I have one. Go to www.awninglock.com for information.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
After reading some of the horror stories on a related RV forum I ordered one from awninglock.com also. Haven't had my RV back from the dealer long enough to have installed it yet, but it's on my list. Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I found an "Awning Smart Rod" at my local RV parts store. It is a rod that fits over the top of the front awning support that prevents the awning from opening up. It is made by Cousins RP LLC 21819 NE 99th St. Vancouver, WA 98662 406 223-0402 and cost $35. I couldn't find a website.

[IMG=right]http://i14.tinypic.com/4h1hxcl.jpg[/IMG=right]

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
bulbrich
Established Member

M.O.C. #6869
After Googling the topic of RV awnings coming loose while traveling. It seems to me that one would want to secure the whole arm to the trailer, not with just a pin attached to the arm. This seems to be a huge issue while traveling in high winds. We haven't started fulltiming yet, but I am sure glad I have joined this group. As I have learned a lot and can not believe how nice everyone is.
bulbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have one, lost an awning on the old TT.
My advice-Everyone get one.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #7
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thaks Orv, I just ordered one from awninglock. Will be heading out west in May and will be much happier with the awning secure.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Am I missing some thing here, does the problem with the awning happen when the wind gets inside the canvas and unrolls it even thou the arms remain secured to the side of the trailer?

I use velcro to hold the arm from backing out but do like the "awning smart rod" that Don has a picture of.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rldriver

Am I missing some thing here, does the problem with the awning happen when the wind gets inside the canvas and unrolls it even thou the arms remain secured to the side of the trailer?

I use velcro to hold the arm from backing out but do like the "awning smart rod" that Don has a picture of.
I think we are not aware of what is really happening. It isn't that the arms come loose; it has been discovered that the mechanism inside the roller sometimes can let loose and the wind will cause the awining to unroll, without the arms being extended. That's why you may have seen someone going down the road with part of their awning flapping above the roof of the rig. The awning lock from www.awning.lock.com prevents this. The "smart rod" does nothing more than hold the arms in place. I have never seen the arms come down while traveling. I'm sure it can be done if they aren't stowed properly, but for all intents and purposes the arms stay in place. Velcro to hold the arms in place work as good as the "smart rod" as far as I can see. But everyone should do what they think is best for them.

Orv
Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Buffpilot

I have one. Go to www.awninlock.com for information.

Orv
Need to add a 'G' www.awninglock.com
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
The awning problem is from wind going under the spooled canvas and causing it to unroll. In extreme cases it causes the arms to pull out and that is when you have major problems, like the assemble coming off the rig. The awninglock stops the canvas from unspooling, which is the major concern. Had my awning unspool twice going through Barstow in high winds. Luckily the arms did not pull out and I was able to rewind the canvas.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rrheik

Thaks Orv, I just ordered one from awninglock. Will be heading out west in May and will be much happier with the awning secure.

bob
I just ordered one too and will be headed out west also in May. I guess better be safe than sorry. I see the website inidicates the lock will take approximately one hour to installed if you have handy-man skills....how long does it actually take?....and do you need to use a drill or other electical tools? An hour to install such a small lock just seems to be a long time. Any comments welcomed.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SKOOBDO

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rrheik

bob
I just ordered one too and will be headed out west also in May. I guess better be safe than sorry. I see the website inidicates the lock will take approximately one hour to installed if you have handy-man skills....how long does it actually take?....and do you need to use a drill or other electical tools? An hour to install such a small lock just seems to be a long time. Any comments welcomed.
Yes, you need a 3/8" drill bit and if my memory serves me right, a 1/4" drill bit as well as a small wrench and a pencil. If you follow the directions carefully, you will have no problem. I installed mine in about 25 minutes after I had the tools together. But read the directions carefully first. "So easy even a caveman could do it."

Orv
Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Thanks Orv! That's good, I do have a variety of drill bits and other tools. I hope it's easy enough that a "Cave Woman" can do it! ha! Thanks again for your reply!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #15
bulbrich
Established Member

M.O.C. #6869
Ordered my lock today. Keith at awning lock was great in answering all my questions. Thanks Orv for the address of awning lock. And to everyone for the heads up. Could save me a lot of grief in the future.
bulbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Thanks for the great response, I recorded the TV program which was the DIY network, RV Today, #12 first aired Aug 2006. It appeared that the hardest part of installation was drilling the pin hole and screwing in the pin on the awning cover end while rolled up. Which means ladder work which some of us try to avoid. Me included. Thanks again
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I think this is at least as good, if not a better solution

http://www.rvsurestep.com/CustomDocs/AwningClamp.asp

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mac, my only concern would be marking, or indenting the awning fabric. It looks sturdy, and should work.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #19
kaw

M.O.C. #6286
I'll make a few comments, as I believe they will be appropriate here.

First, I'll readily admit that I'm the owner of http://awninglock.com/montanaowners.html and have supplied many Montana owners with their RV Awning Travel Lock.

I'll also readily admit that I lost an awning in cold, windy, weather and do not wish that upon anyone. (The pictures on the website are of my bad day.) And oh yes ---until that horrible moment, I had never lost one, either!

Now some comments:
  • The RV Clamp mentioned above attaches to the body of the coach. The RV Awning Travel Lock attaches to the awning rafter, not the coach.
  • Those who believe that the awning can come unfurled while the arms are securely held against the side of the rig have it right. Those who don't may have an unpleasant surprise some day.
  • Regarding time to install the RV Awning Travel Lock: One customer told me "ten minutes." That's possible, but everything has to be just exactly right to do it. Half an hour is reasonable. I put "about an hour" on the website because I wanted the customer to be thrilled when he did it in less time, rather than upset because he took longer than a shorter stated time. It took me just a bit over an hour, but I took pictures and talked with passers-by while doing it.
Many users of this forum have visited the site the past weeks. Thanks for visiting; I look forward to being your supplier.

And thanks to my customers for providing the links!

Cheers,
Keith Williams
http://awninglock.com/montanaowners.html
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
SKOOBDO, If you don't get it done before you leave then we will do it when you get to Branson.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote