Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
bosan2010
Established Member

M.O.C. #10311
Hybrid Tow Vehicle

Ok folks, I have a question that should provide an afternoon of thought for everyone.

I tow a '07 3075 Monty with a 2000 Dodge diesel 3500, 4" exhaust, DRW, 3 speed, with just 124k miles.

I would like to have more gears in the tranny to make travel in the mountains less stressful to the engine so my thoughts are: adapt a Allison 6 speed transmission to my old truck OR add an over/under drive gearbox such as Gear Vendors. Anyone have information along these lines? I can't justify a new truck at this time but would like to hear all constructive comments.

When I get this issue resolved then an exhaust break will be the next addition.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

bosan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I think the Gear Vendors will be the easier of the two options. The newer transmission with more gears may also require not only a updated Transmission ECU but also a updated Engine ECU. It may not be as simple as plug and play. I would research it before tackling the project.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
there are a few shops outthere that will do the coversion.if you buy a copy of diesel power magazine .they advertise in there .you can email diesel power with that question also. good luck
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bob If I had Jay Lenos resoures I would put a 6.7 and 6 speed in mine. he has a shop that just rebuildes his projects. Does your truck have a 3.73 gear if it does that is most of the problem the older trucks have less HP than the newer ones and don't like the 3.73s. As Rick said the gear vendors would most likely be the best way to go. Or you could just boost the power. JMHO. Btw I will drive to the nearest Dodge dealer and set and Lust after the new trucks LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Bob, OK, I've spent the afternoon (or 20 minutes or so) thinking about this. When your truck came out in 2000 it was pulling 5'ers comprable in weight to what you are pulling now. Maybe not as easy as the new trucks but they were doing it. Your main concern was less load on the truck when pulling through the mountains. How much are you going to be pulling in the mountains? How much is the new trany and all associated upgrades going to cost? How much is an exhaust brake going to cost? Don't know those $$ but guess it is plenty and when you are done you'll have a 12 year old, high mileage truck with some nice additions. If it were me I'd rough it with the 2000 stock truck for a couple of years and put those $$'s back for a nice down payment on a new truck when your budget permits.
Well, you ask, and it is raining here so I had to have something to do while watching the ball game. Good luck with whatever you decide. Jim
Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Jim I'm with you. my problem is every time I started looking at newer trucks I would just end up putting "alittle more money" in mine. Now I have so much in it that it's hard to get ride of it but boy I want a newer truck!!! and with all the upgrades I still have a 15yr old truck with 168000 miles on it and not worth what I have in it "OUCH" did I say that?
Bobby
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
bosan2010
Established Member

M.O.C. #10311
Thank you guys for your comments.

Rick, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the photo of your rig. Very nice... Your thoughts about the ECU never crossed my mind and you are spot on with the extra work and expense changing the ECU, etc.

Bobby, you know what I am saying about the 3 speed issue. I have 4:10 ratio which is nice most of the time. And I really don't have any problems pulling anywhere here in the south. As you know, we get better pulling and unloaded mileage than any new truck in our class.

Jim, your comments are "the bottom line" and very valid. Guess I'll enjoy my "little red truck" for the next year at least.

Thanks again, guys.

Bob
bosan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Bob,

Thanks! Good luck with what you decide. I understand what you are going thru. Before the Volvo I was trying to pull the 3400 with a '01 F250. At the time 175k miles on it and no payments. I looked at every possible solution I could think of before deciding it was in my best interest to replace the F250 with a different tow vehicle. In the end decided on the Volvo. Have less money invested in it than a new dulley and I will will never wear it out regardless of what I decide to pull behind it.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rick I also love your truck. wingerphil has a FL that he pulls with you guys have it made LOL. I thought about getting a used MDT but they are very expensive and dw won't drive it or a stick shift. hey she won't pull the rv anyway. I would love to have a 08-09 dually with the exh brake. maybe later!!
Bobby
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Bobby, Thanks! The M2 Freightliners are sweet! but pricey. Even used. We looked real hard at MDT's but had trouble wrapping our heads around cost and then using it as a destination vehicle once we got there. The HDT was much less money and with the Jeep gives us the best of both worlds. We do a lot of photography and we can park the Jeep almost anyplace as well as turn it around almost any place.

Alicia can drive the HDT just fine. Her ability to drive the truck if I am incapacitated for some reason was a factor when looking for trucks. It has a Autoshift transmission. The autoshift is a 10spd but it is shifted by computer and air servos. The autoshift does have a clutch but it is only used for take off or when coming to a complete stop. So if I cruise up slowly to traffic lights I never have to touch the clutch. The Ultrashift transmissions are the same except the clutch is also computer controlled so there are only 2 pedals like traditional automatic. The HDT actually is easier to drive and quieter than my F250.

Take care
Rick
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Have you considered replacing the 3 speed tranny with a 4 or 5 speed? It could be the most economical way to go- Might even be a straight swap with bell housing and all- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
RickW, Just curious what kind of fuel milage you get with the bigger tow unit and do you have a web site that shows off the truck and speaks about what you might have changed or done to make it a monty tow unit.
sorry didn't mean to kinda steal the thread...
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Yesterday with a 10~20 mph head wind I was getting 8.5 with cruse set at 67. The motor only has 40k miles on it and is still not broken in. I have been told to expect another 10% once broken in. Last year in California with the 55mph speed limit I was getting 10. With my Ford pulling the Monty I was was getting 9~10.

Best place to learn about using a HDT in a RV application is over at escapees. http://rvnetwork.com click on the HDT forum. This week is the national HDT rally in Hutchison, KS. We have about 45 trucks here this year with a few more on the way. There will be a East Coast rally in TN the first week of May. Another great resource is the heavy haulers resource guide. Don't have URL ioff top of my head but will find it on the HDT forum.

One thing I might have done different is use a cargo box for the Jeep instead of the flat bed. This would help stream line the air flow and provide additional storage. I plan to add a diesel gender this winter to the truck. It will tie into the truck fuel tanks. So when we change trailers I don't have to replace the genset.

Sorry for the hijack
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
bosan2010, your transmission is a 4 speed with lock up converter. since it is a 24 valve engine all of the power you need is as near as an aftermarket controller. But adding power is a slippery slope. Once you start adding you will want more (if you are like me).
That costs more money. There are many forums geared to this topic. www.dieseltruckresource.com is a good one to learn at. There you will learn about how much power you can add at the stock level and what you need to spend on to get to the next power level. You will be suprised about how much power is avaliable under that hood!
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rick do you know where in tn the rally will be in may I would love to go if it was close to k-ville. we will be back in pigeon forge next yr if our plans don't change.
Bobby
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Crossville, TN 4/29/12 ~ 5/05/12 at Deer Run RV Resort