Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
De Humidifier

This is a questions for all, we have a new dehumidifier and we are in the state of Washington. Its has rained several days this summer, so we started to use it. We kept using it just during the night after the rain quit and things dried out. We still get between two and three quarts each night. My question is does it do any good to pull the moistuer out of the fiver when its dry during the summer season? Thanks Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I claim no expertise, but I believe that moisture is a great enemy of RV's. Keeping the RV dry, along with many other care and cleaning practices, will prolong the life of you RV.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ditto what Stiles says.

I run my A/C in FL when others don't in our RV park. They brag they are saving money (we pay for electric). They are sadly mistaken. They will pay down the road. The A/C keeps our 2007 3400RL nice and dry inside. I like fresh air as much as the next person. However, thanks to this forum, I have learned NOT to run the Fantastic Fan if very humid out - even if it is in the low 70s outside.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, the dryer the air is in there, the more comfortable you are, and the less you need to run the A/C. What type dehumidifier do you have? One with a compressor, or those other types? I have two of the 'other types' work pretty well, but not on the scale of yours, on reflection, yours must have a compressor and fan.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I just turned on the AC to get the moisture out of our unit. Would be nice to do that without running the AC. What kinds of de-humidifiers work in these units. We have a big one at home.
With two dogs, two cats, a litter box and two adults, we don't have that much extra room.
Still trying to figure out where to put a freezer.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Randye, We are also in the state of Washington and live on the Olympic Peninsula. The humidity we have here is not as bad as the midwest and the east coast during the summer. It is very humid here in the winter months, but that comes with colder temperatures. We use a dehumidifier in the winter only and have had some sort of RV since the 70's and have had no problems caused by humid air. In fact, I would say that if you have a cover or enclosure for your RV a dehumidifier would not be needed. The abundant and persistant winter rains are more of a problem.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Well, a question just popped into my head, Ozz. If I have a de-humidifier and run that, I still have to leave my RV windows closed, don't I? It seems a de-humidifier would have a difficult time keeping up with the windows open/FF running, and the weather is around 85 degrees and 70+ percent?

So I still can't get any fresh air. I may still have to run my A/C anyway, just to cool. Winter humidity, as Ken mentions, is another ballgame, but summer humidity with heat may seems best treated with A/C only? Maybe at night when it cools? Still, I think you are better off if you never let humidity get in the Monty in the first place, which would negate the use of any de-humidifier?

What did I miss?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It was so dry last spring in AZ that we had to buy a humidifier. The humidity inside was 2-3%, that's downright uncomfortable.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We have a Sear De-humidifier, and love it. We do have double pane windows in th enew 3400, and haven't used it in here yet, since we haven't spent a winter in this one yet.
In our old Monty, it would consistently pull2-3 quarts of water a day out of the air and yes, we also live in Washington.
Wouldn't be without it!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
That's what we have in our basement at home. What size do you get for the unit? Wouldn't need one as big as home I wouldn't think.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Well, a question just popped into my head, Ozz. If I have a de-humidifier and run that, I still have to leave my RV windows closed, don't I? It seems a de-humidifier would have a difficult time keeping up with the windows open/FF running, and the weather is around 85 degrees and 70+ percent?

So I still can't get any fresh air. I may still have to run my A/C anyway, just to cool. Winter humidity, as Ken mentions, is another ballgame, but summer humidity with heat may seems best treated with A/C only? Maybe at night when it cools? Still, I think you are better off if you never let humidity get in the Monty in the first place, which would negate the use of any de-humidifier?

What did I miss?
Nothing, you are pretty well on top of it.
The de-humidifier is really not used with the A/C unit, not needed unless the sizing is wrong.
The in between seasons are when it's needed.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Carol and Chuck, it's the Model no. 54501 70 pint de-humidifier. I think I paid around 179.00 for it

Love it!
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Now, where do you put/keep it?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've never experienced the humidity problem that so many describe. Maybe it's because in all of our years of living full time in our rig we've kept one vent cracked open as well as the vent above the cook stove. It's important to allow this kind of air flow through the rig because if you keep it sealed up, even with not living in it, you are going to notice humidity.

Just my few thoughts.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
phystie

M.O.C. #4921
We put the de-humidifier either in the space between the two chairs or beside the table & chairs in our 3400.
phystie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
We have lived in Washington, and are now in Florida for the past few years. We keep a dehumidifier in the RV all the time. I set it on the counter and have a hose run to the sink, or set it in the shower and let it drain there. Our is an automatic type that has a setable level for humidity, fan speed etc. We try to keep it at 35 - 40% humidity. We usually don't keep it in the rig for short runs, but do if we are on an extended trip and will keep it with us when we go fulltime. I can usually find a place for it to ride, or store it in the basement. It is cheap insurance. Our motorhome, (pre Monty) sat idle for about 3 years due to some family issues and was in as good of shape on the inside as it was when we parked it. The car that sat nearby (neighbors) sat for about a year and was full of mold. The dehumidifier made a huge differance in protecting the interior of the MH. For us in the "humid" parts of the world I look at it as an essential piece of equipment for the rig and make the room to have it.
Also whenever the rig is just sitting, we keep the doors to all cabinets open as well as the refrigerator doors. Helps keep those areas dry also.
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote