Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2006, 06:17 AM   #101
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
We got our Tour Saver book at Safeway, the grocery store chain. Learned about it from Helen and Bill and we looked through their book. It was $99 but we have already saved half of that in one Riverboat Ride ticket. Looks like we're gonna get our money back pretty quickly.

We're leaving Fairbanks today and headed for Denali Rainbow RV Park. Helen, from reading on the Escapees forum, it would appear as though we are going to miss you guys in Denali. We met Rudy yesterday and enjoyed visiting with him and then last night Ken and Virginia from MOC and Robb and Carole from Escapees HDT forum were over here for pie and ice cream. We all had a wonderful time visiting and even had room for all of us to sit in the old 3555RL. I even got to embellish a few stories for them.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #102
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Wow, now the MOC and Escapee's are joining ranks...Great....
It just keeps getting better and better.
Dave, like Virgil says, check at any Safeway. All of us that have the book are very pleased with it.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:39 AM   #103
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Have any of you made it to Anchorage for the 4th? We are at the Anchorage RV Park in site 12. What a nice park. So far, I know of three couples from the Escapees Forum but haven't seen any from the MOC. Where is every one.

The weather has taken a sharp turn. It is now sunny and warm and just beautiful. I sure hope Virgil and Jo have the same for their ride into Denali National Park today.

Helen
Old 07-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #104
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
We are still in Fairbanks, plan on leaving the 5th for Denali if our mail comes in. Sure enjoyed meeting Virgil & Jo and Robb & Carol. Hope to see them again. It is cloudy, windy and 55 deg here at 11:00am.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #105
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Weather here in Denali was overcast today but we did get to see one of the two Mt McKinley peaks. I was a great day for grizz. We saw 11. Now granted, about 7 of those were blonde specks on the side of a mountain seen only with the binoculars but 4 were up close, close enough for me to see their eyes though my binoculars and get pictures. We also saw a moose, 8-10 Caribou, a Golden Eagle and a psartigan...I think I spelled that correctly.
All in all it was a good trip into the Park. We took the 5:30am shuttle.

Helen, we're not going to make it to Anchorage for the 4th. We're going to stop in the Mat-Su Valley for a few days and explore. You guys are on a mission and we're just lazy and shiftless.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #106
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Virgil, take a peak (pun intended)at the pictures I put up today and you will see why we are so anxious to go south.

Helen
Old 07-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #107
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Pictures are beautiful. I love to see the snow on these mountains.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #108
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen, we are enjoying your blog and pictures. We finally got to AK today, after a very forgettable trip on the "road from hell" between Haines Junction and the border. Everything in the coach was covered with dust, and although I was driving very slowly (25-45mph), our cabinets were a scrambled mess. We even had ice bounce out of the ice trays. We took the Tok cutoff to Valdez and are overnighting in Glenallen. Talked to our friends who are already in Valdez and they say it is wonderful. I'm sure it will make it all worthwhile. Hope we cross paths somewhere up here.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #109
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bobgay, with a bit of cynicism we had to laugh at your description of the road that we remember all too well. It made for one of the worst days of our trip last year. And you get to drive on it again when you go back home! The Cassiar is worse so if you don't like bumps you'd better try a different route. But it is beautiful and worth the bumps. Thirty mph would be the max.

In fact your speed of 25 - 45 mph if probably too fast, especially this early in the year when the roads aren't fixed. It's almost better traveling in the late summer. Valdez will make up for it. And it won't smell of rotting fish this time of the year.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #110
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Judy, you are probably right about 25-45 being too fast, but other RV's were passing us left and right. We do plan to take the Cassiar on the way home. I don't mind all the bumps, etc. if I get some spectacular scenery for the trouble, but that road from Haines Junction to the border had little redeeming social value. We just arrived in Valdez and were bowled over. What a great place.
Bob
Old 07-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #111
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bob and Jan, we enjoyed the Cassiar but after the first 150 miles, we had to stop. We'd been driving for 5 hours at 30 mph. Jade City is interesting and Kinaskan (?) Prov. Park is AWESOME! I wish we could have stayed longer. It was so beautiful....a glassy lake with the reflection of the mountains. The ranger comes around about 9 PM to collect your fees. Have Canadian $$, no checks or credit cards. It's not much per night, as I recall.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:09 AM   #112
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Judy, thanks for the tips. We'll add those places to our list of things to see and do.
Bob
Old 07-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #113
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Bob,

What a great description of that 75 mile stretch from HJ to the border.

We may run into you guys down the road, we're going "backwards" to you and are on our way to Valdez after a stop here in Anchorage and on down to Homer.
PS As others have written, the Anchorage RV Park is pricey but really nice. Wifi works at the site and we opted for the cable TV sites so we can see the NASCAR race over the weekend.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #114
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
Had a real good 4th celebration at Chena Marina RV in Fairbanks.

We made it to Grizzly Bear Resort at Denali today and are scheduled for a 5:30 tour in the morning and a flight around MT McKinley on Friday. There is a Montana that came in at the same time we did, they are not MOC members, so I will try to induct them. Will leave here the 8th for one night stay at Wasilla and then on to Anchorage.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #115
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Hi Virgil. Are you sure it is only 75 miles? Hope we see you along the way. We are in Valdez until Sunday, when we head for Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula.
Today we took the Stan Stevens glacier cruise -- a great buy at $90.00 for 2 people with the Tour Saver coupon. They really did a nice job.
Bob
Old 07-06-2006, 04:26 AM   #116
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Bob,
Thanks for the tip on the Stan Stevens glacier tour. What RV park did you use in Valdez and were you happy with it? We're traveling south toward Homer again on Monday and may miss you but we'll see.

Ken,
Glad you did not opt for the Rainbow RV Park at Denali. We enjoyed seeing Talkeetna for a day (north of Wasilla) They claim it is the town that the TV program "Northern Exposure" was based on. There is an RV park there within walking distance of everything. We stayed at Mat Su Valley RV and do NOT recommend that one. Wow 2 losers in a row. No wonder I was glad to get to Anchorage RV Park.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #117
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Virgil, we're at the Eagle's Rest RV Park and are pleased with it. We're paying $27.90/night for full hookups with 50 amp service. It's easy walking distance to everything and the people are very nice. On the 4th they had a potluck dinner--everyone brought a side dish and they provided grilled salmon (plenty of it and fresh, of course). Great dinner.
You're gonna like Valdez.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #118
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Wow, one day that I can't post on the web and I get way behind. Glad everyone is having a good time. Virgil, we are so glad you got in at Anchorage RV. It is such a nice park. We stayed last night in the National Forest real close to the Portage Glacier (tour book must) and I could not believe it. The park is the nicest we have ever seen for a National Forest. No hook ups but some of the greatest sites we have ever been in. All paved. There are wonderful hiking trails that are all paved too. Couldn't believe that I got on to my verizon internet card and could read the posts but not answer. It was just too slow but considering that we were in the middle of huge mountains and trees, the fact that I could get on was remarkable.

Today we are in Homer at the Ocean View RV Park and I am in seventh heaven. I love it. We went out for all you could eat crab for dinner and I ATE A LOT.

Helen
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #119
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
Our tour into Denali National Park today was great, the High One (Mt. McKinley) was out (Awesome),got some good pictures, saw (5) grizzly bears, several caribou, moose, wolf and fox. We fly around Mt.McKinley tomorrow (hope the weather is nice.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #120
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, we stayed at Ocean View last year. Really liked that park. Take the ferry to the little Russian village if you have a chance. It's a great day trip. You can buy tickets on the strip. Have fun!