Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Montana_1673

M.O.C. #1673
Newest member..many questions

I just joined up, about 2 minutes ago. I am shopping for a fiver and have just discovered Montana...around Dallas there is not a dealer so it looks like I will have to go to the Oklahoma border for the nearest. I have looked at Arctic Fox, American Star, Americamp, and Holiday Rambler Alumascape so far. While they all have their desireable traits, they also suffer from various design or manufacturing issues that makes them unattractive to me, nothing major, they are just not the right rig for me.

My intended use is for a full year of travel while we try to find that ideal retirement place. And then three to six months on the road after that. So, what we are looking for is something that will travel full time and not come apart on our trip to Alaska next summer.

Second area I am wondering about, is the hitch for the truck. I have asked the question on other forums and gotten a bunch of advice. Most of it comes in the form of platitudes like "better safe than sorry", or "you will be glad you have it if you ever need it." In looking at the shape of the front end of the Alumascape, it loooks like the rounded design of the front would make it very unlikely that you would ever hit the back of the cab....anybody with real world experience out there that can give me the definitive answer...One guy says it is simple math...it is, $2500 for an installed automatic slider is simple enough...don't get me wrong, if that is what it takes then that is what it takes but I am not a spendthrift, I paid big bucks for the truck, and expect to spend a bunch for the fiver so money is not my prime motivator.

So, any advice????

Mike Page
04 3500 4X2 short box Dodge....still shopping for the fiver

Montana_1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, page5240! We've been fulltiming for almost 15 months in this Montana, been to both coasts a couple of times, and it's not showing any signs of coming apart or even close. We're very pleased with how it's held up. I've had two defective Goodyear tires but nothing more major than that. We've not yet been to Alaska but at least one of our members have. Just read another post from a new member who took their maiden voyage to Alaska.

As for the slider hitch in the shortbed truck, in my opinion it's a waste of money until you need it. Then it's worth every penny. The rounded nose on the Montana does give us a good turning radius. We've used our slider only 4 times in 8 years. The $2500 for a superglide automatic slider is a good investment but you don't have to go that route if you don't want to spend that much. Ours is a manual slider Reese hitch and it's just fine. Cost is in the $500-700 range. I haven't priced them in awhile. Someday I'd like to have the superglide but that's in the "someday" column of our budget. I've had the nose of the Montana very close to the cab a couple of times when I didn't use the slider so I know it's possible to crash them together. One thing I have to watch for is when I get the two pretty close together, if the truck or the Montana drops a wheel into a hole it could tilt things enough to crash them together. Still, we've only had to use the slider 4 times in more than 8 years. I'd still recommend going with the slider. Just in case.

Good luck and welcome aboard. You came to the right forum. Feel free to ask any question. Nobody in this forum will ever tell you it's a dumb questions. Most of us have probably had the same questions at one time or another. Some of us (read 'me') often still do.

By the way, an rv park neighbor recently told me to check online at BigDiscountRV for the superglide. I don't know the url but would try www.bigdiscountrv.com before doing a google search. He told me he got his for $1700. I am not sure if that included installation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Montana_1673

M.O.C. #1673
Steve....I appreciate the info, based on your input, I am going to spring for a slider for that rare occasion that I might need to have it. I looked at Joes Hitch here in Dallas today and they tell me that the hitch is about 6 weeks out due to Reese not producing them fast enough. I have only looked at Reese, any advice on any other type or are they pretty much all the same. Next question deals with brake controller...which do you like and why?

I asked about buying new or used and have just about decided that if I can find a cream puff that I will let someone else eat the early depreciation. I have looked at Montana, Alpenlite and Arctic Fox...any advice?

Thanks again for your help, any other opinions out there, I am soaking up information at this point?
Montana_1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I hope some other folks will add their opinions here.

Brake controllers. Well, I've had several over the years and wasn't really happy with any until the Tekonsha Prodigy. It works when in reverse as well as going forward but what I like most is once it's set (easy to do) the way I want it I can forget about it. With others it seemed I had to set it one way when starting out for the day (cold brakes) then had to adjust it when the brakes warmed up to keep them from grabbing then adjust again when they got hotter. And different settings for cold weather, hot weather, etc. Just my experience but I've had this Prodigy for a couple of years, since whenever they first came out, and will stay with it. Some other folks are using the Jordan controller and seem to really like it. There's probably other good ones out there I'm not aware of.

Montana, Alpenlite, Arctic Fox. All are good brands. Here we naturally will recommend the Montana and Mountaineer but you should pick the one that best suits you folks. Don't forget to check on how the factory stands behind their product, etc. My feeling is that since Montana has been the number one seller in North America the past two or three years there must be a reason. We're on our second Montana and would not hesitate to buy another should we be so inclined (and less broke ).

In my opinion you made the right decision on getting a slider. There are others than Reese but I'm not familiar with them. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Good luck. Let us know your decisions, whether Montana or not.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:52 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome, Page 5240! Best thing you ever did was find this forum. Also checkout RV.net. You'll find lots of answers there. I've gotten a lot of info for our trip to Alaska next summer on both forums. As for your choice of Fivers....if you have trouble with a Montana, you can be sure that Keystone will back you up with minumum or no hassle. Their service is great!

The slider is a good idea. Just ask our neighbor....he forgot to use his slider hitch, heard a crash, and had fresh air coming in where his back window used to be.

Enjoy your RV, whatever you choose.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:57 AM   #6
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Welcome Mike, I was asking the same questions last year. Now we have a Montana and are happy with it. Keystone really does stand behind their product. We bought ours used and have still enjoyed fast response from Keystone for all our correspondence. We also have a Reese 16 K slider and have used it occasionally. Steve is right, you only need it occasionally but then you REALLY need it! I think the Draw-Tite is identical to the Reese and there are a bunch of others too. Maybe when the guy said 'it was simply math' he was referring to the math of distance from pin to front corner of the fifth wheel vs. distance from pin to back window of the truck. If the first is less than the second you should be OK. We have also purchased the Prodigy brake controller and are very happy with it.

Good luck no matter what you buy.

Enjoy.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:50 AM   #7
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
A day late and hopefully NOT a dollar short. The decisions we made on equipment (truck, slider etc) paid off this weekend. As Steve so aptly put it, you may not need it often but when you do,YOU DO! Exploring a lovely lakeside beach development, lots of sandy roads and some pretty tight loops. Folks in the office sent us out on a self-guided tour. Too bad they hadn't previewed! On a really tight loop, 3 bozos had illegally parked their cars and then left blocking everything. Incredibly tight curve--options--hit vehicles, hit campers, drive over fire ring. Backing out not an option. Opted for fire ring and managed to straddle it and miss all other hazards. Thanks to that hitch and a great truck we were able to do about an 80 degree turn, on a heavy angle in really deep sand. WHEW! Had a lot of folks watching who absolutely could not believe we got out without a disaster. Moral to the story--you never know what will be around the next bend. Don't be a spendthrift--but buy the best equipment you think you will need. Sure glad we did. Thanks again for all the advice guys!!! And best luck with all your decision making Mike.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bowie, you left out one factor -- sounds like you had a capable driver. I can visualize the maneuver you're talking about and it's not easy to pull off successfully like you did. Congratulations, great job!