Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Heat pump and furnace run same time ??

So I had no heat earlier, but fixed that issue

My question is on should the rear a/c heat pump unit run at same time as furnace runs Thermostat shows furnace but heat pump running
Need some help if possible
Thermostat is the Dometic Capacitive Touch I'm not a big fan of this thermostat as the "touch" part seems too sensitive

2018 3701 LK

Rsmarlow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You can only run one at a time, but if the fan is set on anything but auto the AC fan will run when the furnace comes on.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Great Thank you It was set on " high" thanks again
Rsmarlow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmarlow82 View Post
Great Thank you It was set on " high" thanks again
I'm having this same issue. My heat pump and my gas furnace both run at the same time regardless of which heat source is selected. I have a legacy model with in-command system.

I recently had 50 amp service installed at my house, so I suppose I never knew before that it was malfunctioning. But when connected to 50amp and I turn either heating source on, both are running at the exact same time. At home, I only want to run the heat pump to save on gas. I can turn the gas off at the tanks, but then I can hear the furnace ignitor clicking away, trying to start the furnace.

Anyone experience this before or know if there is a setting I'm missing? On both heat sources, I have them both set to auto.

Hopefully someone knows a trick, versus, taking it back to the service again.
T0DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Todd, which do you have it set to, electric or gas? If set to electric, the furnace will run if there is more than a 3 degree difference between actual temp and set temp.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Todd, which do you have it set to, electric or gas? If set to electric, the furnace will run if there is more than a 3 degree difference between actual temp and set temp.
So I was just out there playing again and figured out how to turn the heat pump off when the gas furnace is going. You have to turn the fan to "off" in order to turn off the heat pump if you only want to run furnace.

When I put it on electric, yes, the gas furnace turns on and yes there are more than 3 degrees of difference in the temperature and where I want it to be. (Probably more like 20 degree difference). :-)

I just used my app on my phone to turn it back on and I'm going to test this out. I'm hoping when it gets within that 3 degrees of my target temperature that the furnace will stop. I'll report back in a little bit for future "Todd's" that may run into the misunderstandings that I was having today.

Thank you for the information, you just made my day!

Edit: Yes, what you said is 100% correct. My HVAC got within 3 degrees of my set temperature and the gas furnace turned off. Only the heat pump is running at this point. This is great information you provided to me. Not sure how you found it out, but thank you for sharing with me. I was dreading taking it back to the dealer.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Whether you have a heat pump or just an A/C, if the fan control is on any position other than AUTO, the fan in the A/C unit will run when the gas furnace is running. The compressor is not running, just the fan.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:22 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
There's a wide gap in difference between the temperature settings for my heat pump and the furnace. Both are incorrect through, not in sync with the real temperature at the thermostat. I keep an indoor-outdoor thermometer attached to the wall right beside the thermostat so I know what the true temperature is at the thermostat. It doesn't matter what the thermostat says or how its actually set, I set up either up or down based on the wall mounted indoor-outdoor thermometer.

FYI, the outside temperature sensor for the indoor-outdoor thermometer is attached to a ring, attached through one of the holes in my king pin. It's shaded there, not in direct sunlight ever, and protected from rain some.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:44 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Todd, I found out about the three degree offset on the forum. This is our fourth Montana and between the In-Command system, Super Solar and other systems it has been a lot of learning. One of the things I learned early on is to choose your dealer wisely. They will determine your happiness with your unit. For instance (knock on wood), my last two Montana’s have not spent a night without me at my dealer. We make an appointment and stop while we are on our way through (dealer is 500 miles away - on the way to see grandkids). Glad that your heat pump is working as designed.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
T0DD
Established Member

M.O.C. #27652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Todd, I found out about the three degree offset on the forum. This is our fourth Montana and between the In-Command system, Super Solar and other systems it has been a lot of learning. One of the things I learned early on is to choose your dealer wisely. They will determine your happiness with your unit. For instance (knock on wood), my last two Montana’s have not spent a night without me at my dealer. We make an appointment and stop while we are on our way through (dealer is 500 miles away - on the way to see grandkids). Glad that your heat pump is working as designed.
My dealer is Tacoma RV and they are about 20 minutes from my house, that part is convenient. I have had a pretty long list of problems and I was without my coach from part of July through part of September. So I wasn't as lucky. Or as I like to say, "I made 2 payments on that coach while it was in their care".

I appreciate your feedback previously as I was automatically assuming the worst because of all the problems I have been having. I'm still having an issue where my coach will lean to the left after being parked for a few days. After a week, it leans about 2" to the left. I've read a few things here and there, because I honestly don't want to take it back to the dealer again. I have a message into my service center again to find out if they have any tips or tricks about why it would lean only to the left.

Thanks again for helping me out yesterday.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Todd, I suggest contacting Lippert and get their opinion.