Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
sites have sewer but no dump station?

I posted a question a few days ago looking for campgrounds in Branson, MO, and in my looking around at various places, I came across a campground that has water, electric and sewer for most of the sites, but there is no dump station....
Okay, we are fairly new at this RV camping and I am a bit baffled about the sewer thing...does this mean we have a connection for our black water tank and there is no need for the dump station or what? **scratching my head**

countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
That's correct. No real need for dump station when sewer is provided. We dump and flush in the sewer tank before moving each time. I have seen some dump stations that would be nearly impossible to maneuver the Montana into to dump. When we are camped in a site with no sewer, we usually use the CG honey Wagon, if available. Dump station is our last chance location.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As Phil said, if the site has sewer hookups you just hook up your sewer hose and dump any time you get ready. You should have a single pipe to connect your sewer hose to that will drain both the grey water tank and the black water tank (separate pull handles). Not sure about the Mountaineer, but you may have 2 grey water tanks. On mine, the commode drains into the black tank, the shower, bedroom lavatory, and washer/dryer drain into the grey water tank, and the kitchen sink drains into the galley (second grey) water tank. So I have 3 pull handles to drain each tank individually, but they all drain out the same outlet.
However, you said "most" sites had sewer. If you had a site without sewer hookup, and they had no dump station, then when your tanks got full, you would have a problem as you could no longer use the water in the rig.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
When we camp at sites with sewer hookup I am always amazed how many people leave the drain valves open. I hookup but leave the valves closed until almost full. Then I dumb black water first followed by both grey tanks to flush the line. Leaving everything open all the time is looking for problems IMHO.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Thanks for the info. I would definitely NOT leave my black tank valve open all the time. I believe it was on this site that I learned about the importance of not doing so...needed enough moisture (lack of a better word) to keep the stuff from drying out and building up inside the tank.

We have learned so much valuable info on this site! Everything from....why didn't I think of that! to......oh, wow, that's a good idea to...."DUH!"and everything inbetween.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We all have our own little techniques on dumping the tanks. I fully agree with leaving the black tank valve closed. I also leave the galley tank closed. But I do leave the grey tank open. I like long showers. And we often had one or more grandkids with us. And we have a washer/dryer. More than once, I have found myself standing in a couple inches of water in the shower because the grey tank was full from showers and washing. I would have to cut my shower short.
So now I leave the grey tank open until I see the black tank about half full. Then I close the grey tank to let it start filling. When the black tank reaches about 3/4 full, I drain the black tank, use the black tank flush to flush it out well, then drain the galley tank, then drain the grey tank, and start all over again.
If you do not have one yet, get one of the clear plastic sewer pipe extensions (straight or 45 degree) so you can see what is flowing out the sewer. Takes the guesswork out of trying to know when the tanks have fully drained.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Ditto on the way BB TX does it.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't take long showers so I prefer to keep the gray tank closed (shower/lavatory). DW takes longer showers but still doesn't run the water. This way when dumping, I dump black, then galley, then gray in that order because the black is the worst, the galley might contain bits of debris and the gray is the "cleanest" with some soap as the last to go down the drain.

But I do know plenty of folks who keep their grey and/or the galley opens to not have to make unscheduled trips to drain when full, but that's each owner's prerogative and works just fine. I don't know of ANYONE who leaves their black open even in other Forums for SOBs. At least these folks don't have to worry about standing in some water, ugh like I do, but this means I don't mind opening to dump every couple of days (the black lasts a lot longer) to prevent this. Without sewer it's a different story. We try to use CG facilities as much as possible to minimize tank filling.

Back to the topic, if the CG did not have a dump station and all the sewer sites were taken, I'd go somewhere else if there isn't a dump station nearby even in another location nearby. I have not run into this, but a big thanks for posting this possibility. I always check in advance for full hookups or a dump station. I don't like carrying that much weight any significant distance or at any significant speed and we don't boondock enough to worry about it. My monty has 114 gallons of black/gray/galley or about 950 lbs of extra weight (not including any fresh water). While the GTWR is not exceeded I don't feel a need to carry this long distances. If I had a dually and the portable dump tanks, then I might change my MO, but for now this is what we do.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
thanks for the input! Bill/Patricia, one of our first purchases was one of those clear sewer extensions and, yes, it is nice to be able to see how clean the line is before calling it quits!! Thanks.