Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hello from Ontario

Just joined and want to say hello. We were at the Novi camper show near Detroit Mi last sunday and my dear wife just fell in love with the 329RLT Montana Mountaineer. Can't argue with her this time. Any input would be appreciated. Also, are you's for or against awnings on the slides. Thankyou in advance and happy camping. Bill.

1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bill, Welcome to the best owners forum on the net. You will get many opinions on the slides. My 2006 3400 is still in the freezer so I haven't had the opportunity to form my opinion yet but many others have. Try using the search feature or just browsing some of the older posts, you will find all kinds of info on them.

Again, WELCOME!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Bill, Welcome.
We spent 30 days travelling Eastern Canada last summer and returned through Ontario. You have a wonderful country full of very friendly folks. I have no knowledge of your specvific unit but can tell you we love Montana and this forum
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. I think you will be glad you joined us. It is the best site for information about the best line of RV's shared by the best folks around. I don't have the slide awning. so can't comment.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill,
Follow your wife's great taste. The Mountaineer is a very nice coach that should treat you right for many years to come. My last two Montana's have not had the slide awnings. I will get them on the next Montana. We are sure glad to have you join the MOC, you will meet some really great folks here.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Welcome to another Cdn. from Ontario. Take a look at the Regional and National Rally forums. Maybe we will see you at one of them. We are heading to the NE Regional in P.A in May.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome..We are just across the pond near Cleveland, Ohio.Spent about 10 days in Blyth, Ont last summer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

Welcome to the Forum! Trying to argue with the wife is futile - enjoy your new 329RLT .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome. We have been impressed with the new Mountaineers we have seen at the RV shows. Our Montana has the slide toppers and we like them - keeps rain and debris off the tops of the slides, and so far we haven't been bothered too much by the noise they can make when it's windy. This is the best place to get your questions answered about Mountaineer/Montana.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:53 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hello to a fellow Ontarian.

We don't have slide toppers, and so far have not been inclined to add them. They do have some advantages, and also some disadvantages, you will have to weigh these against your lifestyle and reach your own conclusion.

On the plus side:

They help protect the slide roof and seals from the sun.
They help keep dirt, debris and leaves off the slide roof.
They keep ice and snow off the slide roof.

On the negative side:

They can be noisy in a wind, and you have no option about deploying them if you have the slides out.
Dirt, debris, insects and birds can get under the slide topper and are more difficult to remove with the topper in place.
They seem to sag over time.
The fabric does wear out over time, and will likely need replacing in a few years.

Probably the best argument I have heard for them is to keep the slides from getting frozen in the extended position. If this is a possibility for you, that would be a strong argument for having them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote