Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
warranties are they worth it

My dealer offered me a 7 year $50 deductable on my 3400rl for 1254..is that a good price or can I do better...if so where and how much. Thank you.

zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
zzuroweste1

First, Welcome to the forum

I noted you have asked a number of questions that have been discussed here on the forum several times, and wondered if you were aware of the Search button on the top of this page. If you have not tried it, you might want to, do some good reading while waiting for others to answer your posts/questions.

Also, there is a way to search the Archived topics, but I believe that must be done from the front page of the forum.

A brief, but not conclusive answer to this particular question:

Depends on how comfortable you are with: your dealer and his ability to fix your rig, your own abilities to fix your rig.

Read your warranties, I thought that there was a downloadable version of that somewhere here on the forum, maybe someone knows the link, or again, use the trusty Search button. (Al and I have extended warranties on only a few items in our lives, mostly our laptop computers.)

Good luck with the new rig!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Read the fine print on the back of each sheet of the forms of the agreement. Each company has different grades of coverage for different prices and also if it is a motorhome, fifth wheel or trailer. Again, buyer beware!
Charlie and Sue
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I have never been a fan of extended warranties. Basically they are an insurance policy and they make their money by you never having to use the warranty. Over the years I have avoided all extended warranties and have found that I'm money ahead in the longrun even if I have had to pay the occassional repair bill myself. It's a risk reward scenario that you have to decide if you are comfortable with.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I bought an extended 5 yr warranty with a zero deductable and If I don`t need it I get all of the money back in store merchandise. All the little repairs I can do myself and mostly anything major. Heck all the things that went wrong on this rig were fixed by the manufacturerer`s warranty, there can`t be much left that needs to be fixed.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 AM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Chester nailed it! For the most part (and the retailers have the statistics and odds on their side) the buyer will not recoup the cost of the warranty in covered repairs. However, since this was our first 5er (owned a used pop-up previously) and we were just starting out our fulltime life, we decided to buy the 5-year extension at about the same price you are paying. Wish ours had the same clause as Mark and Donita's! Regardless, the warranty sure made the CFO (Cheryl) a lot more comfortable as we dive into the new lifestyle.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I bought my extended warranty back in Feb. for 7yr from date of purchase on the policy not the coach, with $50 deductable. Paid $1195 for it. I got one year free from Keystone and now have seven more to go. The name of the warranty I went with was The Choice Plan. Took the Supreme Coverage plan. I also bought the roadside service plan as well through Coach-Net. This ran me $500 for the seven year coverage plan with no other costs during the entire contract. Can use the service as much as needed with no additional costs or forms. In my opinion these are both money well spent.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote