Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived - Forum Information and Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
IE Privacy and Cookie settings for Forum

There are a few things that cause this which are not related to the timeout issue.
For people using Internet Explorer try this - >> > Open Internet Explorer
>> >
>> > Click Tools > Internet Options > Privacy
>> >
>> > Under "Websites" at the bottom click "Edit" (on the right)
>> >
>> > Under "Address of Website" type forumco.com and click "allow".
>> >
>> > Click Ok.
>> >
>> > This brings you back to the privacy popup box.
>> >
>> > Click "Advanced" in the middle of the box.
>> >
>> > Make sure that "Overide automatic cookie handling" is checked.
>> >
>> > Under "first party cookies" check "Accept"
>> > Under "third party cookies" check "Accept"
>> >
>> > Always allow session cookies should also be checked.
>> >
>> > click ok and ok again.
>> >
>> > Close all Internet Explorer windows.
>> >
>> > Open Internet explorer and try to login to the forum.

Make SURE that the time data and year are set correctly on their computers otherwise the cookie
will expire before its even set. Hence, cookies need to be enabled.

Also:

ForumCo says for all of us to clear our cookies because this forum's cookies are totally different that the other one we had before.

Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Some of my replies yesterday did not show up on the forum, and my reply counter was stuck on the same number. This morning everything seems normal, do you have an answer for the problem?
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:43 AM   #3
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
I did not use the forum yesterday so did not see the problem. Usually this kind of problem is something to do with a problem on a server with the forum or between you and the forum. If it continues to be a problem post back and let us know.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
I posted several times yesterday and I had no problem. It was slow a couple of times but worked just fine with time.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
You can look back at some of my replies. The number of posts backed up a couple of days. There was definitely something not right.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have DSL and it is very very slow. I have done all the things that were mentioned and it is still very slow.
Some days it is better.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We are on a very fast cable/wifi system and sometimes the forum crawls while other sites are still fast. Other times the forum is not bad.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I discovered this morning that after submitting a reply on the forum you must reset or refresh all forums for your replies to count on your posts tally. It doesn't take me long to figure things out,..... duh.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, ours updates automatically. When I post I get the page saying thanks for the reply and then it goes back to the forum with that page updated. I wonder if there's a setting somewhere??
Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I just checked mine after I posted in the "Laundry" thread. Mine does like Steve's.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
David,

You now have [s]219[/s], err 220 (on my edit) posts. PLUS, it seems you have deleted the message that I was addressing, but I am gonna leave this here anyway.

The number goes up on EVERY post in a number of ways

1.) the number goes up every time you post to a thread. By ONE.

2.) The number showing in your avatar area, is the total number of posts you have made, ever, here on the MOC forum

3.) If you have made 219 posts, every single post will show 219. When you post the next time, every single post will show 220.

4.) The number for your total posts does not freeze on each post, so, you cannot show on this one page, for example, number 217. 218 and 219. They ALL will show 219.

This is a bit hard to describe, and I am not sure I am doing such a hot job of it.

But, if you go to my profile and look at one of my posts to any thread it will show a number, ohhh, 400 for an example. Now, go to another thread I have posted to, and when you open it up, it will also show that I have 400 posts.

If you understand this, and if I understand you question, maybe we have figured it out??

If I am way off in left field, ask your question again, sooner or later someone will figure out what we all mean! HA HA

Happy Holidays, and here's to your post # 220 and beyond.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Thank you,Mrs. CountryGuy, I am in the learning stage, I had a problem the other day, it seems to have corrected itself.
I tried to update some things on my profile and it would not let me update. I appreciate the help.
Happy Holidays to you also.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I noticed that one of Lady RVs recommendations was to accept third party cookies. Third party ad/image providers can see their own cookies when you go to different pages that have their ads. That means that they can track your usage on the Internet and target you. Cookies can contain all sorts of information about you, including phone numbers. These third party people don't have the same privacy restraints as the people whose page you go to. Remember, they're there to make money, any way they can, including selling your information to everyone else.

I have always blocked third party cookies, and I have never seen it affect my surfing.

Third party cookies are BAD...turn them off.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
David,

We are always learning, I had trouble with a program last night, that I had successfully used just days ago. Never did get it up and running.

I always figure just bout the time I THINK I understand it, they will change something and I will be LOST again!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I block NO cookies at all, including 3rd party, and in nearly 10 years of surfing the WWW I have had NO, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, NONE problems.

Cookies can garner NO personal information about you other than the personal information that you yourself put into the internet. If you put any personal info into any UNencrypted site than you could be asking for trouble. Even your email should not be posted. Basic info such as your home city, state, hobbies, etc won't hurt you. Personal info such as Email, Phone #, SS #, Savings/Checking acct # could cause massive headaches on your part.

Get yourself a good program such as Norton and use it faithfully and get on with surfing without worries.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
I block third party cookies too. I have found no problems this way. I only allow cookies for web sites I want to allow them for but that is how I prefer doing it.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used Internet Explorer for a bit tonight. Here's what TrendMicro Anti-Spyware says about a cookie it subsequently found on my system...

In Internet Explorer I accept first party cookies and block third-party cookies. In Firefox I block all cookies that I have not explicity allowed. In Firefox I also can say accept first party (or third party) ONLY for this one session or a number of other combinations.

Each person has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

Anyone wanting to see what cookies are on their system and they are using Internet Explorer -- tools/options/General Tab/Settings/View Files. There is a list of cookies. Doubleclick on one. They are text files. Say ok to the warning and it will open the cookie in your text editor. A lot of the info will mean nothing but what you can discern can be eye opening. The one I just opened showed me it is for Ace Hardware.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Steve, TrendMicro's description of the "Threat" supports exactly what I was saying. Cookies are harmless and only provide the user with information in relationship to where you have been surfing and your interests by the routine of your surfing habits. This information is used to help with the placing of advertising banners and pop-ups. Hardly what I would call as being intrusive or giving out of personal information.
A good example of cookies working was a fishing related message board that I maintained. The board was a free service supported with banner ads. At first the banner ads had very little in common with fishing but as the months went by more and more of the banners pertained to fishing and after 2 years all banner ads were fishing related. This change in ads had everything to do with cookies and were actually a plus for the message board and did absolutely no harm to the users.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree. Cookies don't really hurt anything. The resulting ads and the like can be a nuisance, however. I have third party cookies turned off because there is no reason for them to be there. They don't do anything for ME, just for themselves. The first party cookies sometimes are required to properly communicate with a website. But I choose to decide who and when can set cookies on my machine (to each his own on this one). Having popups turned off helps reduce the nuisance factor, too, as does Firefox.

I'm more concerned about adware/spyware than cookies. I have fought some long difficult battles with spyware and adware so now use Norton AntiVirus, TrendMicro AntiSpyware, and ZoneAlarm software firewall. If we had a network I'd have a hardware router for the hardware firewall also, but we don't.

We may be off topic for this particular forum ("Trouble with the Forum") so will drop my participation in this thread. We could continue in a topic specific thread if needed though.