Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #41
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bernie worked on it for a couple of hours. He even found the repair manual online. We are thinking we have a bad fan. Our dealer will be getting a phone call tomorrow.

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #42
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hmmm...this is sounding very familiar...

After our winter sleep in storage, our rig ac fan would not come on...it clicked like it had power, but just hummed and no air movement. I pm'ed OZZ about it, he told me to take the cover off inside to gain access to the squirrel cage and give it a spin. I did, and then put power to it (fan only) and it started up. It sounded like the bearing had a flat spot, so I let it run for a few minutes and all is well again. It is now working just fine like nothing ever happened.
I know you said earlier the fan would spin?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #43
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Nope, sorry Ozzie. The fan will not spin automatically. Nothing. Bernie had the wiring harnesses out tonight and everything is nice and tight. But no matter what we do, that fan refuses to spin (unless you spin it with your finger).
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #44
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
After having tried to run the fan for a while does the fan motor feel warm to the touch? Apparently the compressor is running with out the fan, don't run the compressor too much with out the fan as damage could occur. Most of those fan motors are fractional horsepower motors and as such are permenant split capacitor. A capacitor can be bad on the motor and cause it not to run. Quite often the capacitor is mounted on the motor and will have wires from the motor to the capacitor, with the power off, did he check these wires. With the power on and the t'stat set to fan only, did y'all give the fan motor a spin to see if it would take off? Back to the fan motor feeling warm to the touch, if it is gathering no heat after trying to run for a while, be suspect that no power is getting to the fan motor or the motor has an open winding, in either case a good meter to measure electrical current would be helpful to make this determination. An open winding in the motor could mean a motor replacement.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #45
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
I'm certainly not an electrician but I'm wondering if somehow your
washer/dryer problen and this is tied together??

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #46
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Ole Dude, we turned on the thermostat and set it to fan only - the fan will not spin automatically. Bernie told me to not to try and run it since it can burn up the compressor.

Ray, I don't know if these 2 are related. We are expecting the new circuit board for the washer/dryer either today or tomorrow. As soon as we get that and Bernie gets it installed, we shall see... I will a very happy camper to have my washer/dryer working again.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #47
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hellllooooo,
I just jumped in.
As I see it, the fan is the problem, don't run the system without it, as the compressor dose not know the fan is on 'strike'
My suggestion is to have a professional look at it, it has power, you spun the fan, the thermostat is calling, so you did what you could.
Could be many, many things.
Don't stick your fingers somewhere you could get hurt.
Good luck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #48
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thanks Ozz! We are heading to Anchorge on Friday and we'll run by the dealer.

Totally off topic, but it's my thread, has anyone besides us noticed that since we moved out of Anchorage we are there more than when we lived there??????
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #49
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Bernie, did I miss the reply as to what the problem was.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #50
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Nope. We went by the dealer on Friday and talked to the brain (a/k/a Bill). Bernie has to get the volt meter up there and see if there is power going to the fan. The Brain doesn't think there is. But, Bernie is heading out of town tomorrow and won't be back till Friday night. Saturday - he has a meeting with the A/C!
Tammy
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #51
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Bernie--why do you need to worry about your AC? We're down here in Skagway and were told today that Haines Junction and Tok and areas to the north got half a foot of snow in the last 24 hours. It's June 9, and we're talking about SNOW!!!! Sounds like we need to be talking about winterizing our rig, not worrying about the AC. What's wrong with this picture?????
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #52
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Right now it's gorgeous! But, come late July and August it can get HOT here. Besides, we paid for it and want it to work. Just the principal of the matter!