Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Entry assist handle - lessons learned

My first lesson learned on our new 3475 happened today. While showing off the new RV to the kids I opened the slides and neglected to swing our the entry assist handle. Fortunately the sequencing of the slides go bedroom, small living room then large living room and our son noticed that the handle was still stowed.

Imagine that if he were not there the hydraulics would have certainly been strong enough to rip out that handle and our less-than-24-hour-old dream RV would have a huge hole next to the entry door!!!

I'm considering a warning note on my control panel to remind me to extend the slide. Anyone not get lucky as I was and rip their handle off?

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
well, I can tell you I have forgot, Mine just swings right around with no damage. whew. Steve
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
we place the handle over the door thatway if you open the door to enter the handle is clear of the slide it swings both ways
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I also place mine over the door instead of the slide. That way handle is clear when operating the slides.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thank goodness no damage. We also place ours over the door. I only have two slideouts on my 3000RK, but place handle over door just as an added doorstop, in event I forget to lock the door. Although, I did leave my antenna up for about 280 miles. I pulled into the KOA her in Fredericksburg, TX and Dick, the owner, asked how te TV reception was along the way. Looked up, and sure enough it was up. Fortunately, I stopped only once for diesel, and the pump didn't have a overhang. Would not have been too happy putting a hole in my to week old Monty..

Enjoy that new Monty to the max..

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Thanks guys for the door comment, never would have considered that one!!!

B&B, next time y'all go to Fredericksburg, Texas there's a city RV park that puts the KOA to shame. Look at the Lady Bird Johnson park, has golf, swimming and has the neatest 1940's club I've ever seen in an old WWII hangar turned hotel.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Actually the slide just pushes the handle to the open position. Want to guess how I know? The way the handle is designed it doesn't take much pressure to push it open. Still I like the idea of putting it across the door. Will have to try that. Of course then there is one more thing to think about when stopping for potty breaks. We've forgotten steps a couple of times and once left the pump on.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We also put the handle across the door. Have since we bought it, but we do have a replacement handle - want to know why? While at the dealer's having some warranty work done, the trailers were parked so close to one another that one of the techs put the handle the other way, towards the side of the opened slide. When the slide was retracted to put it away for the night, the slide destroyed the handle...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
well, I am curious,

Have they changed the way this handle works??

Ours works the way Sue (Parrothead) states hers does, if I leave it in the travel position, and forget, and open the slides, the kitchen slide pushes the handle, it goes up a bit, then drops into the position, ready for use.

Steve R and some of you that have new rigs, that had 2002 -04 rigs, has this changed??

Curious minds want to know. Will it rip off now, as in Steve and Brenda's concern??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #10
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Well, I looked at the RV again and this model prohibits placing the handle against the door because there's a awning brace blocking it so against the slide is the only way to stow it. I though Keystone would have designed a break away handle but as I pulled against it in the stowed position it looked as if it would break off the side of the RV instead of coming out of the stowed position. Good to know that it'll come loose out of stow but I'll remain cautious - thats the engineer in me, always looking at the worse case scnario - and post a warning on my slide panel.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Steve and Brenda, I have an awning brace in the way on my coach too. I can tell you I have done the slide thing before the handle thing a few times and have sustained no damage so far. I try to remember but sometimes my brain is on vacation before I am.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Duh, I just realized we can't put the handle over the door - awning. Must be why I never thought of such a clever idea! LOL
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
my awning brace is on the other side of the handle wonder why they put yours that way makes little sence to me but I just buy them don't design em
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Brenda and Steve, thanks for info on LBJ park. Have driven by it a couple of times and looks really nice. Next time in the area will have to check it out. Good luck on the door handle..

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote