Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I'm Patriotic....... BUT

At this moment our poor little friends are terrified with the fireworks. We have two dogs and two cats. One of each is doing okay, but the other two are not doing so well as usual each year. Just wanted to vent - I feel so helpless to make them feel safe. I'm playing classical music for Sophie and Zinger, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I hate to do the meds - we have naturopathic scents we're trying which seemed to help a little earlier. Next year we're all off in the trailer if we can manage it!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Seahunter,
Our previous doxies would run and hide under the bed when loud noises happened. Our current group simply start barking and run to see if they can find out what is happening. After a couple of salvos of fireworks going off they even quit barking! Sounds like you're doing about all you can do.

Unfortunately even being in the rig does not mean you can find a fireworks free area. Often the place you are camping will be near someone setting off fireworks. But if you go far enough into the boonies you might be able to find a quiet spot. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Seahunter,
Our previous doxies would run and hide under the bed when loud noises happened. Our current group simply start barking and run to see if they can find out what is happening. After a couple of salvos of fireworks going off they even quit barking! Sounds like you're doing about all you can do.

Unfortunately even being in the rig does not mean you can find a fireworks free area. Often the place you are camping will be near someone setting off fireworks. But if you go far enough into the boonies you might be able to find a quiet spot. Good luck. Dennis
Yeah, I would think the doxies would hold up pretty well - can't scare those little German dogs LOL. Mine are "sensitive" little English girls who just don't understand that nonsense...

True about the celebrating in the camping areas too - guess I'll have to just head for the hills - probably where the kids are setting off sticks of dynamite

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Your English pups want the Colonies back, and they're upset!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patbarton

Your English pups want the Colonies back, and they're upset!
Hilarious Pat! I didn't even think of that
Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Next 4th go to a Corps of Engineers park. No fireworks close to us here. It's not allowed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Next 4th go to a Corps of Engineers park. No fireworks close to us here. It's not allowed.
There you go - sounds like what we need - thanks Dick!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Pretty sure we can be patriotic without disturbing everyone...personally, I would be very happy if fire works were banned in this country.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Pretty sure we can be patriotic without disturbing everyone...personally, I would be very happy if fire works were banned in this country.
Actually I would be just fine with that too. Or at least just do the professional displays only on the fourth, and not sell them to the general pyromaniac public. It gets way out of hand where I live. They start blowing them off at least two weeks before the fourth, and then go for about another week after the fourth. Most of them are illegal too. So for about a month around the fourth you have these things going off every day and night keeping you awake until pretty late. I've heard them going off sporadically until 2 a.m. some nights. Just like anything, they give a little leeway, and people just abuse the privilege. oops - rant off.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Same deal where we live in Florida...also, get to "enjoy" it all over again during Dec/Jan for new years eve.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our Basenji mix is the same way, either under a bed or retreats to her cage with bed in the basement. Does the same exact thing during thunderstorms as well. We don't mind the fireworks and usually join in on the 4th with whatever is legal. I do get discouraged at those who abuse the privilege and keep going past reasonable hours but at themsame time I can put up with it for a day or two out of a year. At least we are thankful that it is relatively harmless fireworks and not the aerial bombardments that some parts of the world are subjected to. We try to keep our priorities in the right place and respect the freedoms that others have as well. Hopefully, our dog sweetheart will feel the same way at Myrtle in a couple of weeks, they ar
a nightly beach occurrence there!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote