Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
rvgwen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12147
fifth wheel insurance

I have an insurance question. We are coming from a class A motorhome where we had to provide a seperate policy for our coach. We are now going to be pulling a fifth wheel and are wondering if we should have a seperate policy for the fifth wheel or will our tow vehicle insurance cover the fifth wheel also. Thank you

rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
My truck insurance covers the trailer for liability while towing only. The truck insurance is not good for anything else on the trailer. That is separate insurance.
You should call your insurer to see what is covered by your policy and make any decisions from here.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Separate.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We carry a separate rider on our policy for collision and comprehensive coverage of the Monty, with a full coverage glass rider. Liability coverage is provided by the TV insurance.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I feel better having specific RV coverage on the fifth wheel. If it is just part of the tow vehicle, you do not have near the coverage.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use one insurer for all and the Monty is a rider. Once we have the S&B sold we'll have to get full timer's insurance to cover everything including a blanket liability policy.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have "full timer" coverage through GMAC on both tv and rv- Have been very satisfied with the policy- Do your research and do what works for y'all- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
It's important that you have a agreed to value in the unit.
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
DieselGeezer

M.O.C. #12364
Your tow vehicle ins. will cover the fiver as long as it is attached to the truck. When it is detached and if it should become detached while you are driving, any damage it does to others or damage done to it will NOT be covered. You definitely need supplemental ins.
DieselGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Coverage is different depending on what state you live in. Some states allow you to cover your RV under your homeowners policy. Learned that on the board. Some do not so these are the questions I would ask an agent from my home residence. If you are a full timer in your rig please disregard the following. Apparently fulltimers fall under some different rules.

Does my homeowners policy cover my RV and if so how much? Do I need to have an endorsement on my policy to be sure to cover full replacement cost of the RV? Are my contents covered by the the 10 percent extension from my home coverge?

If you are in a state that allows you to insure your RV on an auto policy. What is the stated replacement cost of my RV THIS year? They write policies based on your stated replacement cost, which drops each year because of depreciation on your RV. If you own a home you could possibly have an extension to cover your personal items in your RV. Your furniture in the RV are considered part of the replacement cost of the RV unless you have replaced them. Personal items added to the RV are considered something that would fall under your home insurance.

I would contact my agent and ask questions. After that I would ask other quesitons, because I am not sure they fully understand what coverages they are writing. It is a small part of a normal agents business, unless you are calling a company that writes tons of RV business.

We have increased our limits of liability on our truck insurance to higher limits than normal, just because we pull a monster behind us part time. In Texas your liability from your truck follows you to your RV. I would check with my agent or department of insurance to find out what coverage I have.

Please take all of the above and then do your own research what fits into your needs. Need to drop our values on our rig next renewal.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
RV insurance is like any other insurance. Depends on what you want covered and your special circumstances. Best to get ahold of your agent and speak with them. Fulltimer insurance is a lot different than owning a S&B home. Again different circumstances.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
A few years ago I read on here that if you drop the trailer on your truck you will have no claim. Cannot have an accident with yourself. Please make your own inquiries on this issue. I just wanted to make you aware of what I think I remember.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote