Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Montana_2020
Established Member

M.O.C. #2020
Gooseneck hitch vs. Regular Fifth wheel hitch

My dealer is offering a gooseneck conversion for fifth wheel towing. I'm not sure this is a good idea as it puts more force on the trailer frame, but it looks like it would leave more room in the bed when unhooked. Anybody doing it - what is your experience?

Montana_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
There was just a thread on here within the past month and as I recall it's not recommended and I believe someone said it would void the warranty on your Monty.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Check out the B&W companion hitch.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
A true goosneck hitch will reduce the "chucking Motion" discussed in other threads here. This is because the connection point between the TV and trailer is much lower. The ideal connection would be at the level of the rear axle on the TV. That's the good news. The down side is the stress on the trailer. The connecting arm of the gooseneck hitch is much longer than a conventional fifth wheel hitch. This means there is a longer lever trying to twist the trailer.

Ideally, we would get rid of pickup beds on our TV's and trailer manufacturers would lower the front of the trailers to just clear the truck frame. Then either hitch mechanism would perform the same. Much less stress on the trailer and a great ride. I doubt we will see this anytime soon.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
Montana_3340

M.O.C. #3340
I used a heavy-duty goose neck adapter for two years, with trips to Baha and parts south.
Extra room in truck bed a big plus. Harder to hook up a very big negetive. With a big storage box installed behind the cab you can not see the ball with out the use of two mirrors and there is very little play front to back and left to right. you have to be directly over ball and lower your hitch to connect.
I went with the "little rocker" hitch, works very nice. Goose neck adapter is for sale $ 250.00
with extra mirror made by hitch manufactor CE Brand
Montana_3340 is offline   Reply With Quote