Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
CG parking/backing etiquette

Good afternoon,

No one has ever explained to me the proper etiquette when trying to back a camper into it's site or maybe that should read proceedure. Could someone fill me in on what's expected by fellow campers when approching your lot and there is someone following,for example.

Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For me proper etiquette is to let me back in without your help. IF (notice a big IF) I appear to be having trouble ask if you can help. If I am doing fine on my own please stay away.

I try to practice what I preach and will only step in if I feel you may need me BUT I try to ask first.

AND ABOVE ALL DO NOT STAND THERE WATCHING HIS EVERY MOVE. Even the most experienced driver can get nervous with an audience

Never ASSUME the driver needs help. He may appear as such but than again he may have been doing it his way right along and actually has more experience than you.

That guy behind you? IF you can let him by without interfering with you than by all means do so. Otherwise he waits until you are backed in far enough for him to get by you safely. If he is in an RV park he is probably an RVer and he knows this can happen and he will patiently wait.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ditto Glenn
If possible I let them pass - otherwise they can enjoy the show while I back in. And I don't charge them for the entertainment.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What Glenn said!!

That said, if you are the one parking, and holding up traffic, don't stand there and solve all of the world's ills and tie up traffic. Save the world later, park now.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Nicely stated Glenn...I agree.I have several horror stories about unsolicited helpers (professional backer upper spotters)but won't go there.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I can't say it any better than Glenn!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
And, if your tow vehicle is parked in such a way that it might be a problem ... don't ask, just move it out of the way.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Make them wait. Unless its an Ambulance. If I can let them by I will but once I start in reverse patiently or not they wait.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When coming into the park and your site, take the time you need to do what you need. The guy behind you will just have to wait. That's the luck of the draw. If you can, let him go by.

When leaving, hook up and leave. Don't say your goodbyes while two or three rigs are stacking up behind you.

Good sense and common courtesy should reign.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good explanation, Glenn, and I agree.

If I haven't started backing, I'll let the other guy go by. Otherwise, if I have started backing but can stop and wave him by, I'll do that. Otherwise I'll wait until my procedure will allow him by and then I'll wave him by. I think waving them to go is a good idea because often they won't have a lot of clearance and will breathe more easily if they know I'm not going to change directions and hit them.

Like Vicki said, if we're already in our site and we see moving our truck will make it easy for a new neighbor to get into his site, we'll go move our truck until he's done. We've had others do that. It's especially helpful on a narrow access road when the folks across the street have a vehicle parked right about where my truck needs to go to get into our site. Sometimes we've asked if they could temporarily move. They've always been willing. Other times they see us and move on their own. Either way, it's much appreciated and makes it easier to back into our site without having to pay such close attention to make sure the front of the truck doesn't hit their vehicle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was not aware of any established etiquette other than common sense and good manners.Many good thoughts here tho.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
The problem is that common sense ain't that common anymore. There are a lot of people without common sense or good manners. If they would only use the golden rule, treat people how you would like to be treated. I agree with all that's been said above.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
"Common sense??" "Good manners??" What are they? I sometimes wonder if common sense and good manners even exist in this day and age. I can't count the times where a little common sense would have eliminated a problem or situation but for whatever reason common sense went out the window.
AND don't even get me started on "good manners".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess we are in the minority. In our Rv travels we have found good manners to be the norm in Campgrounds. Rv'ers are generally friendly and helpful. The same with folks in Stores, etc. We have not had a bad experience in our 3 years of heavy travel. Common sense can be pretty much in the eye of the beholder. What is common sense to one person may be really stupid to another. You know My grandfather wore a suit and tie everywhere carried a umbrella or a "walking stick" it was the European way. He was polite and would not think of calling anyone by their first name. Times change and so do the norms for manners and everything else. Rv'res IMO are nortorious for taking advantage of things like ovenight parking in Store parking lots, etc and the Rv'ers lined up outside the walls of our RV park stealing wifi signals because they were to cheap to stay in a park that had it or slipping into a park for freebees.. Now that is bad manners. Overall our experience with folks, manners and common sense has been very positive. There is always a exception..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We generally find most people to be courteous and with common sense. But occasionally we find the exception. Our current neighbor connected his sewer hose without any donut or fitting of any kind. He just slipped the hose down the sewer connection point. On our door side, naturally. He also connected a water hose he'd put a new end connector on and it was spewing a spray of water out a couple of feet from the spigot, constantly. The office asks everyone to conserve water as best they can as their water costs are killing them. Their words. Our neighbor didn't seem a particularly friendly sort so I mentioned the problems to the park owner. He took care of it pronto.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote