Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #161
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Maybe Wal-Mart should switch to paper bags and put a few more items in each one and we could save oil to drive our toys. If everyone brought their own bags to the stores it would cut down on all the oil needed to make the things, every litte bit helps.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #162
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Good idea old turbo, but we'd have to cut down a tree and my crazy neighbors will go nuts. Perhaps it's time to stop reacting to the fringe...it costs too much!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #163
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Dave I am with you that it is going to take the common man to start pushing back. How... I don't know except to let your respective representives know that come election time they need to consider their employment and we have to raise our voices.
Phill, I believe this is a great idea. If everyone started flooding their congressman/congresswoman with letters/emails asking what plan they are proposing that will give badly needed relief to the millions who are going to start suffering in very short order. Certainly they would not be content to sit back and just watch their constituents go over a cliff without lifting a finger to help provide at least a little safety net. Maybe they don't believe there's a problem???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #164
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Now don't get upset and start a politcal debate but, here is what 2 of the 3 presidential candidates have to say about oil dependance. Senator McCain did not have a policy statement regarding oil, just environmental. Not that it makes any difference because the other two don't seem to have a clue either.

Set America on Path to Oil Independence

"Obama's plan will reduce oil consumption by at least 35 percent, or 10 million barrels per day, by 2030. This will more than offset the equivalent of the oil we would import from OPEC nations in 2030.
• Increase Fuel Economy Standards: Obama will double fuel economy standards within 18 years. His plan will provide retooling tax credits and loan guarantees for domestic auto plants and parts manufacturers, so that they can build new fuel-efficient cars rather than overseas companies. Obama will also invest in advanced vehicle technology such as advanced lightweight materials and new engines."

"Hillary has a bold and comprehensive plan to address America's energy and environmental challenges that will establish a green, efficient economy and create as many as five million new jobs.
Centered on a cap and trade system for carbon emissions, stronger energy and auto efficiency standards and a significant increase in green research funding, Hillary's plan will reduce America's reliance on foreign oil and address the looming climate crisis.
Setting ambitious targets, the plan would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent from 1990 levels by 2050 to avoid the worst effects of global warming, and cut foreign oil imports by two-thirds from 2030 projected levels, more than 10 million barrels per day"

It looks like we're on our own.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #165
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's great... What's their plan for the crisis everyone will be facing THIS SUMMER???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #166
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Funny you should ask. Here's the responses from two of the three. Ain't computers great!!!!

Dear Dick,

Thank you for contacting Obama for America. The volume of messages we're receiving has gone up since Barack's victory in Iowa. While we cannot respond individually to over a thousand messages per day, the level of interest and thoughtfulness of the comments reflected in these communications are very gratifying. Your thoughts on our campaign and America's future are greatly appreciated.

Dear Friend,

Thank you for your message. I have received thousands of emails from people all over the country. Your comments are very important to me and I am excited that so many people are joining our conversation about how to change the direction of the country. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of comments, I am unable to respond to each email individually.

I guess my responses will be that I can't afford to contribute to their campaigns because all of my "disposable income" has gone up in diesel smoke.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 AM   #167
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
From what I've read on the issue, oil is way up primarily because of the weakness of the US dollar. That is weak in part because of the huge deficit spending which I suppose is there in large part to the Iraq war. So, don't look for much improvement in oil price until the US fundamentals change. The dollar improves and that won't be an overnight fix. Also read that diesel is particularly hard hit at the moment because of supply problems in Europe. Can't understand that but there ya go. You can always be happy in the knowledge that no matter how much you are paying in America, it is probably less than almost anywhere else.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #168
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is strange what gets axed here on the Forum, and what they leave on it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #169
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

It is strange what gets axed here on the Forum, and what they leave on it.
Do you mean my post Ozz? I sure did not mean to offend and my apologies if I did.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #170
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oh, it's just that I posted an article on what it means to some, being a good American. A flag waving, feel good article and it got pulled.
I apologize if I cam across wrong, I was just pouting a little. I feel all should have a say, you were just answering a question, but I can see where conflicts may arise in some political posts.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #171
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I edited my last posting to eliminate some of the campaign rhetoric. My intention was to show that the major candidates, of both parties, are more concerned about other things and seem to be out of touch with one of the main issues. I was able to send a message to one through their contribution link but not to the other two.

So now here's my "I don't know questions" for the day. If both gas and diesel come from the same crude oil than why not increase diesel production and reduce gas production? It's much easier to car pool and use public transportaion saving the use of gas. That way more diesel would be available for the transporting of goods and help reduce transportation costs increases.

Second, and I know this will really open up a can of worms, why not go back to a mandatory 55mph speed limit? This time the states would have to be more pro active rather than the Feds alone. We all know that driving slower does save gas/fuel. Even with the rising cost of gas/fuel most people I see on the road are still exceeding the speed limits by 10mph. At least with a reduced speed limit they could still speed but go slower.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #172
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I am truly sorry if that sounded political Ozz because I did not intend political commentary. I know how I would feel if that was used against Canada. My comments were intended to get to the point of the low US dollar and I should have just left it there. I apologize to the group.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #173
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I am totally in favor of the 55 limit again. It will reduce fatalities as well as save fuel. What's a few more minutes to get there at such a savings.
All those people that waste fuel with jack rabbit starts should be ashamed of themselves. They make me look like a grandpa behind the wheel...heh.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #174
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Everyone should write their congress person, I have.
I was listneing to a auto repair talk show Sunday, it was mentioned diesel could be priced $1.00 per gallon cheaper if the oil companies would put better filters on their pumps. These filters would eliminate the need for ULSD. Seems we pay at the pump versus big oil installing better filters on their pumps.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #175
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ozzie, what kind of dog do you have?? It kind of looks like my Casey. I'd rather look and act like a "grandpa" behind the wheel now than look and act like I did in the 1960s. Of course if gas was only 25 cents a gallon now I probably would still pull a few hole shots just to smell the rubber. I wonder what diesel was back than????
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #176
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hey Dick...that would be Bailey, our English Springer. She's a real sweety and is getting up in her years now. Still has the heart, but she pays for it. Boy, doesn't that sound familiar...

I'd rather look like a grandpa behind the wheel too, when I see those people with their quick starts I figure they have money to burn. Thing is, some of it is ours...they are compounding the mess we are in by being wasteful and we end up paying for their driving habits anyways.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #177
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Well., about time for a cartoon !! LOL, How true it is...
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #178
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Our Casey is a border collie mix and I keep telling Louise he is mixed with an english springer. Now I know he is.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #179
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dick - it doesn't quite work that way. They can only get so much diesel out of a barrel of oil; the rest is either kerosene or gasoline, or other petroleum products. The only way to get more diesel is to refine more barrels of crude oil which gets you more of the others as well. From http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/wh...arrel_oil.html There is a table there that says we get:

Product ------ Percent of Total
Finished Motor Gasoline --- 51.4%
Distillate Fuel Oil (aka Diesel of various grades) --- 15.3%
Jet Fuel --- 12.6%
Still Gas --- 5.4%
Marketable Coke --- 5.0%
Residual Fuel Oil --- 3.3%
Liquefied Refinery Gas --- 2.8%
Asphalt and Road Oil --- 1.9%
Other Refined Products --- 1.5%
Lubricants --- 0.9%

Now, doing a little more research I did see a couple of articles that stated that refineries could, using further chemical methods, further refine (or break down) some of the diesel into gasoline. No matter how you cut it though, there is only so much diesel to be had from a barrel of crude oil.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #180
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Here is one instance where slowing down they think they can save fuel.
http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080310/0372596.html

This trucking company is turning back the governors to 62 from 65 and just 3 mph look at their savings.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote