Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Are you armed?

Thougt I'd ask a very touchy question - If you pack a firearm in your Montana as you see the sights around the country.

I started to pack a firearm after we were at a campsite in Texas where a neighboring camper was beating one of his children who happened to be retarded. I confronted the camper and told him if he needed someone to beat on then give me a try which scared my wife to death because that type of crowd could have easily produced a weapon and made my day a bad one, something I had not considered because I was concerned about the safety of that little boy.

Since then I have packed a 9MM Ruger P-89 in the RV. My DW works in the county District Attorney's office and was assured that- at least in Texas - an occupied RV is considered our home and we may keep a firearm in the vehicle.

Some stay overnight in Wal Mart parking lots in strange cities and who knows what bad people might be out there with the RV owner only protected by a flimsy door latch. Also, some campsites are lonely and empty on weekdays leaving the RV owner open to malevalent people.

I wonder how you all feel about keeping a gun in the RV.

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm not going to tell anyone. That's my business and any intruder that wants to find out.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
This has been discussed here at least once. There are a lot of people that agree with you Steve and carry a variety of weapons. Those that may not, were pretty well beat up on during that discussion.

I agree with Orv, in that I no longer care to make it anyone's business.

We all have to do what we are ok with, that ole comfort zone thing. Obey the law, know the consequences of you mess up, and be willing to pay the consequences too. If you don't know the laws, well, might I sweetly suggest you find out.

Commend you on sticking up for that poor child, I would have called the police instead. But, again, my comfort zone.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I own a Concealed carry permit that is good in 33 States. I believe that Texas as well as Arizona are "open carry" States. It is a issue that the individual needs to decided for themselves..Me..We choose not to be a victim...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
I usually have a weapon of some sort in the truck and 5er, my DW also has a weapon we stay where we please and don’t bother anyone. If the same situation arose that you had I would have intervened. People who are beating on little children are cowards. I would have also called the police in fear of what would happen to the child latter and blocked them so they could not leave till the police arrived. I can see a swat on the butt, but an attack like you describe needs an adult to step up good for you I hope the child was not retaliated against after you or they left? In hindsight I guess a camera to record the beating would have been a great help. I applaud you for your courage to stand up for the child I hope it was an isolated incident and won’t happen again.
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I think it is a good ideal,of course I'm just a redneck Texan so what else would you expect.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Armed?? Since I was very young, and until the end of my days.

Steve, what you did for that child was a selfless act of courage. You are a hero in my books. Discipline is good, but I will not stand by and watch the beating of women , children, or animals.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Orv and Carol here. We've discussed this before. Many of us enjoy skeet or practice target shooting so have the equipment to do so. It does not have to be considered a "weapon". Some take golf clubs (I had a friend that was killed with a golf club) and others take the equipment to enjoy their sport. Ed has this little head knocker thing he carries when walking. He could probably kill someone with it faster than a gun!
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I also carry. I have pepper spray, handgun, and a shotgun. Wife knows how to use all of them also. I refuse to be a victim. It's your choice. Your Monty is your domicile, you can have weapons there, but be careful carrying in a truck unless it's carried properly, you could be in trouble if searched. Although if there are bad people trying to harm you, it's better to be alive and have some explaining to do.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
When a person has to take care of a job, it's always nice to have the TOOLS to accomplish the task...
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
All I can say is "Go ahead, Make my day."
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
As a retired "grunt", and a member of the NRA I guess my position is pretty clear.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
As a retired federal law enforcement officer, I could be authorized to carry a concealed weapon regardless of state law, however, I have opted not to go with the federal permit due to redtape that goes with it and I retired to give up dealing with the scum of the earth on a daily basis. Having said that, I do not oppose others protecting family and home, I am a very hardcore person who believes in maximum ONLY punishment for people who fluent the law. As to whether I am armed or not, I have 30 years in the military and 15 in federal law enforcement, always being armed on and off duty, so your imagination can take a guess as to if I travel with a weapon...
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I believe in the right to protect myself and my own. I work with law enforcement so I hear all of the bad things happening everyday around the city. This is the reason I know it is my responsibility to not become a victim. There are some sick people out there and they are not going to get to my loved ones.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #16
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
No body but me knows.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don and I are both licensed to carry concealed. We are legal in 25 states.
Also in CO it is legal to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle wheather licensed or not. State law. But I wouldn't try that in city of Denver. They are having court cases about that now.

I have grown up around guns all my life and with a mother that owned guns, this was an easy choice for me.
We refuse to be a victims.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I have a permit in my home state. How do you get one covered in other states? I do a lot of competative shooting and will want to do this in other states as we travel so I am concerned about being able to carry firearms legally where ever I go. Actually the amount of shooting I do, our Montana is an armed camp.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Not that I'm planning a purchase , but are there any recommendations as to what to purchase for the DW and myself?

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

I have a permit in my home state. How do you get one covered in other states? I do a lot of competitive shooting and will want to do this in other states as we travel so I am concerned about being able to carry firearms legally where ever I go. Actually the amount of shooting I do, our Montana is an armed camp.
Go to www.packing.org and click on the license tool..that will give you a idea.The listing is fairly accurate. I have Ohio, PA and NH (because they were inexpensive and easy to get) which makes me good in 31 states. The list will also tell you which states are "open carry" states and the restrictions in each state. I too am a "sport shooter"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote