Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
MarDon7
Established Member

M.O.C. #24356
Question 2019 3811MS Window Shades

The day& night window shades have handle bars falling off. Anyone else experiencing this problem on their new (2019) Montana trailers?

MarDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Handle bars?

Not sure what you mean by "handle bars".
Look at the illustration below. I put letters A,B,C,D by certain locations on the blind. Which letter identifies where you are experiencing problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-25_11-33-32.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	5108  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Almost all of ours have come off at some point. We just try to grab them by the sides instead of the bottom. Not a fan of them. I want to get rid of the shades for mini blinds. Don't like the windows are either wide open or closed.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
MarDon7
Established Member

M.O.C. #24356
Item C. The tan shade pull down bar. We now have 5 shades where the bar has detached from the inner green retaining strap. Tried working with Keystone Customet service, but the rep only shared get with your servicing dealer, which we have done. But it looks to me there is a manufacturing flaw with the shade. I'd share photo if I knew how to upload them to the site.
MarDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Call Irvine shade

You should call Irvine shade and Door and see what they can do...or email Cheryl Reed (cheryl_isd@outlook.com) 574-522-1446 with pics documenting your problem. I am not saying they will send you truckloads of new blinds for free - but she sent me a box full of replacement parts free. I was willing to pay. They seem to be very accommodating.

I did try to fix the blind over the dinette (it would not stay down). I was unsuccessful and emailed Cheryl for help. I have yet tackled installation of the new guts she sent me. I did discover that the top aluminum rail is not very rigid. It seems to be a 2 person job. DW had to hold one end while I tried to reinsert the spring guts. Re-inserting the top rail into the valence clip is also a 2 person job.

The video on the Irvine shade website that shows the guy in the shop holding the top rail while he adjusts speed and stopping height - that may work on a little 18” wide blind like he has to demonstrate the concept - but on a long blind like the dinette and certainly on the big rear window above my couch - the top rail will bow like a weighted fishing rod. It is definitely a 2-person job! Two persons to get it down. Two to insert or adjust the spring guts. Two to clip it back up into the valence clips.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
JMGray
Established Member

M.O.C. #21499
Hello, MarDon7, I am having the same issue. We’re you able to get your shade fixed?
JMGray is offline   Reply With Quote