Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Oven pilot problem

Hey folks, need a little help here. The oven in our 2005 2955RL went weak at the start of our last camping trip, then a couple days ago, seems to have quit working altogether. It lights, is a good size (approx 1/2"), we held the pilot start on for at least 15 - 20 seconds, but as soon as we let it pilot start go, it goes out. According to themanual, there is no adjustments I can make. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the whole oven?

Washedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Possible the Thermo-couple has died. The pilot has to heat it up first before it will let the gas flow. Had the one in our previous Mobile Home die.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Sounds exactly like a defective therma-couple. I've replaced many on house ovens, water heaters, and furnaces but never one in the RV oven. It may not be too difficult besides having to stand on your head to do it. Removing the oven and working on it at eye level would be my choice.Short of changing it you can take a long lighter, light the pilot light holding the temp knob in, keeping the lighter on and against the pilot release and quickly rotate to a heat setting. It will light the burner. Use the oven and then return the temp knob to off not pilot. It'll get you by in a pinch.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If I had the oven out to replace the thermocouple I'd just go ahead and add a spark igniter while I had access to it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
We have had the same issue for a few years now. I have just been doing the yoga thing to get it lit when I use it. Are there any threads showing the thermo-couple replacement? I haven't been able to find any. Thanks

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnracin View Post
We have had the same issue for a few years now. I have just been doing the yoga thing to get it lit when I use it. Are there any threads showing the thermo-couple replacement? I haven't been able to find any. Thanks
I found these comments elsewhere.

This thermocouple is easy to install and got my old RV oven firing like new. The install is easy, but a bit tedious. It involves moving the oven and removing an access panel on the back, in order to thread the thermocouple through and set it in place. Other than that, it's a matter of tightening the nut that holds the thermocouple to the pilot assembly (nut not included - don't lose your old one!), screwing the ground wire in place, and plugging the blade connector in. I found the blade to be the most annoying part, as you pretty much have to plug it in by braille - it's hard to see in there.

All in all, a cheap and easy - if somewhat involved - repair that has my oven working better than ever!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnracin View Post
Chasnracin, as the previous responder said, it appears to be an easy fix. Finding the part can be an issue for RV stuff, don't even bother to look in the mfg manual, at least, not in mine. All it really says is "it's a stove, turn it on for hot, turn it off for cold." HOWEVER, mine is made by Maytag, and the manual DID have 1 tidbit of useful info. It told me to look under the top burner metal to find the model tag. Once I found that, it was easy to find parts. I just searched by "Maytag model ##########", and went to appliance parts.com. There you go, maybe not cheap, but parts are available. Once in Appliance parts, they give the mfg part number. You can search on that often and find it cheaper.
Washedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #8
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
many years ago my (S&B apartment) gas stove burners (one by one) quit working. A friend stuck a needle in the ports where the flame comes thru. Stuck the needle in & cleaned the debris out, old gas stove worked again. Something to try before removing the whole oven.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
Jim314

M.O.C. #21477
Maybe this will help.

Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
To me, removing the stove and accessing thru the back panel does NOT seem 'easy'. lol Just my opinion!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote