Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2024, 06:23 PM   #1
tyme2par4

M.O.C. #27911
Don't buy anything newer than 2020!

Do yourself a favor and don't ever buy a Keystone product. They tout their stamped steel cross members are "lighter and stronger" but in reality they are junk. They are just tack welded to the frame so the useable life of the frame is only about 15k miles before the entire thing is trash. And then they claim they can "fix" it by throwing a few hundred extra pounds of steel at it.
We've now gone through this twice. This time they are refusing to even give us market value for our rig as a refund. That's after we put $13k in upgrades into it. Add to that the fact that they consistently delay email responses until the end of the day, or better yet, the end of the day Friday so you are stuck on edge all weekend hoping for good news next week.
I'm so sick of their inconsiderate and ineffective customer service, and their complete lack of quality control.
This 2023 Montana High Country is the biggest piece of trash I have ever seen. It's had multiple MAJOR structural issues prior to this, plus more than one EXTREMELY DANGEROUS electrical issue that easily could have cost us our lives if I hadn't caught it.
They have no regard for customers time, money, or safety
Absolutely despicable way to treat customers. And no, we're not overweight, and have never abused either of our 5th wheels. Other than the major structural failures, they are in great shape.

tyme2par4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:24 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I'm not even sure where to start....Obviously you want to vent, which is ok. But if you're going to do so make sure you know your audience. The people you're venting to already own a Keystone Montana or have had several. We've all been in your position in some form or another...MAD at the dealer or Keystone. But we have found our way through the issue in some fashion. The one thing that jumped out at me is "We've now gone through this twice". If so then you're very familiar with the process. Obviously this go around isn't yielding the results you want but it's not a done deal until it is. A frame issue is a real problem that I can not believe can't be resolved. Lippert made the frame and typicality stands behind their product. Take a breath and give us more detail. I'm sure we can help you navigate. It would help if you told us the make an model.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:38 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Frame issues are one thing and Lippert should step up to the plate. Everything else ... well....

OK, it's not just everything after 2020. It, actually .... always been this way.

We have a 2019 High Country and it had over 80 different issues in the first year of ownership in 2019!!!! (Before 2020). Working with the dealership and Keystone was a real challenge, and this was our 4th Keystone product. We never had so many problems or difficulties with previous campers until this point in time.

After 3 different warranty fixes: Entry door replaced, bedroom door replaced, back entry door replaced, blown tire, broken shelves, a wheel break assembly broke resulting in 4 new hubs, brakes, pads, springs, everything, and more, I then started fixing things myself. After the first year, I had a good camper and invested quite a bit of money to strengthen and fix, patch and repair flows and weaknesses that are still holding strong, even today, 5 years later.

Bottom line is .... the poor craftsman ship has ALWAYS been around. The difficult exchange between dealerships and manufactures has ALWAYS been around. I'm not making an excuse for this, no, no, no.... It's just, as stated above, you're preaching to the choir.

Go out to your dealership's Facebook site or the Keystone Facebook site and state your disdain there. Trust me on this one .... if you put your displeasure on the dealership's Facebook site, you'll get a reaction! They do their best to accommodate you. That goes farther than anything else you can do.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don’t think 2020 had anything to do with it. I have been on here since 2006. There have always been problems of one type of another. But seems they slowly became more varied and numerous thru the 2010’s. My 2007 was about as troublefree as I could have ever hoped. Nothing major and very little minor. But that changed in later years as they began adding more bells and whistles and “convenience upgrades”.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:49 PM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
What state are you in? California has lemon laws, which include RV's. Here's a a portion of it that I highlighted: It might be worth looking into. I feel your pain that these things are slapped together, and after the handshake, as your exiting the dealership driveway, you're on your own.

As an RV owner, knowing your rights is crucial to protect your significant investment in the vehicle. The California Lemon Law applies to RVs that are still under warranty or have a defect that occurs within 18 months or 18,000 miles of purchase.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 03:05 PM   #6
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
I have to add my two cents. I agree with the Poster's decision to vent here and warn individuals that currently own Montana 5th Wheels, because many of the members of this Forum upgrade to new Montana 5th Wheels. I also agree that Post COVID RV's have many more problems; 1) The labor force changed and the level of experience resulted in lower quality. 2) Post COVID, due to Supply Chain issues, many substitutions were made, using inferior or untested materials. 3) Post COVID, many RV's were manufactured with many parts missing and then left on the lots, until those parts were back in inventory. Instead of a worker, who was an expert at the point in the Assembly Line, where these items were normally installed, installing them, a "Jack of all Trades", installed them in the field.
These are facts! My Son ownes a Mobile RV Repair business and constantly tells me to stay away from Post COVID units. Citing hundreds of calls, where his company had to fix these units, due to poor workmanship and substandard materials. I currently own a 2008 Montana, so I'm not dealing with these issues, but on numerous Factory Tours, where I spoke to Keystone Upper Management, about their Quality Control process, I was extremely disappointed! As a VP from Keystone once told me, "RV stands for RUINED VACATION"
The bottom line is, the amount of time that owners of new Keystone RV's, spend not being able to use their units, is totally unacceptable. For many of these individuals, at their stage in life, the last thing they deserve, it to be dealing with this sort of aggravation, and being grounded for months on end, due to poor Customer Service!
Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 05:22 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
One of the secrets to successful trailer ownership is doing your own customer service. The options on the new rigs are a lot nicer than the old ones but you can upgrade the older ones to be like new.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:33 PM   #8
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
If you have documented with pics and video some of the problems contact the Liz Amazing youtube channel. She has helped quite a few people with their issues not getting resolved by the dealer direclty.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:57 AM   #9
TexasBuckeyes

M.O.C. #27646
What was the electrical issue?
TexasBuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote