Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Brake Controller

Well after two trips with the 3160 RL LE behind my old 2000 Ford Super Duty I decided to upgrade my old Tekonsha Voyager with a new Tekonsha P3 brake controller. My old old Voyager was real hard to get the correct amount of force and duration. Especially annoying when going from highway speeds to in town speeds. I have had good luck with the old Voyager as I kept changing it from rig to rig and trailer to trailer. I am not sure why it is so touchy with my new trailer. I actually think I had it adjusted fairly well on my last return trip. But I went ahead and ordered the new one. The P3 is supposed to be very good. I hope it makes braking a little less annoying.

Tom Marty

Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I had my Tekonsha P3 for over 6 years with zero problems. I expect you will get the same service from yours. Good luck!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My new P3 arrived in the mail today and it looks like it will bolt right into the stainless bracket that I made for the Voyager. If it does that will be nice as the install should go quite quickly. My new 99/03 Ford SD wiring harness should be here tomorrow also. Maybe it will be a quick install on Sunday before it gets to hot. This weekend is supposed to be in the mid 90's here in the dessert part of Washington State. My old Voyager has worked great for years but I did start having some issues while towing my Custom Weld Jet Boat trailer and then also on my new Montana. It would work great and then the next time I hooked up the braking was erratic and would want to lock up my trailer tires.

Tom Marty
Old 06-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
So far on my first short drive with the new P3 I have to say it worked flawlessly. Longer trip starting Friday, I expect it to work great.

TomMarty
Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I purchased my P3 when they first came on the market, Love it, Love it, Love it. all the adjustments that are available to the user, voltage, Boost. a no brainer installation.
I've had Kelsey Hayes where a T in the Hydraulic line was necessary, and advanced from there in my years of RV usage, and the P-3 is the best I have used and installed so far.
You will love the way you can change the Boost while under way through towns and change it back for Highway with a touch of the button.

Have fun Travel safe.