Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
More Geek Help--- WiFi

Calling all geeks.. round 2. Round 1 was a success with the recommendation of Gas Cubby for keeping track of my fuel "economy"

Now, on to Wi-Fi. Some of the parks we have been staying in leave something (to a LOT) to be desired for Wi-Fi connections.

Is there such a thing as a signal booster that I can put in my RV to strengthen the signal from Tengonet for Barb and I ? If so.. recommendations?

If not... is there something similar for internet connections where you simply pay for the time you use it.. then shut down when not required. I probably didn't state this well.. but, we have had pretty good results with the Dish Tailgater for satellite TV viewing.. Sparked a question as to whether or not there is something similar for internet.. that does not require a kings ransom.. such as the Satellite Internet Ive seen on some RV's..

Cheers, Bill n Barb

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
There are definitely wi-fi AND cell phone signal boosters. I am researching the same thing for next seasons camping.

We use my Verizon's phone mobile broadband option to provide our wifi in parks that do not have it but for parks that do have it, like the one we are in now, I would love to have a booster. Mainly because right now I am at a 2 out of 5 signal strength. I know there are MANY VERY EXPERIENCED MOC Members who do this on a daily basis and can give you really good information but since the search function is not working right now I can't find their previous posts. I did find this article to get you started...until a MOC member has a chance to educate us. Hope it helps!

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/mobile-internet
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I also forgot to share this piece of information. We met this couple when their bus broke down. They are both in the software industry, or used to be and they have devoted pages of their blog to technology access while RVing. They are full-timers who know their stuff. In fact they are creating a whole website just for this information. Here is a link to their page:

http://www.technomadia.com/internet/
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Try the 3gstore.com They will answer your questions and have the equipment from a number of manufacturers. Don't let the name put you off. They've been around a long time and developed a reputation that makes it hard to change their name. They have plenty of 4g stuff.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
If you want to boost your WiFi signal from the park I would recommend the Alpha WiFi antenna. I have used one of these for years and it is not as powerful as the new ones. But it does a great job and easy to use. Link
If you want to boost your cell phone signal I would recommend the Wilson Sleek. The Sleek does a great job and simple to use. I would get the Home kit with it also so you can use it at home as well as the 12volt option it comes with. The Sleek also works with Jetpacks also.
Both of these options above require very little to set up. Check out Amazon.com for each of these.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Park wifi is so problematical that we quit depending on it and bought our own wifi (from Verizon). The only vendor I am aware of that allows you to start and stop is Millenicom. They are a month to month company with no long term contract. They use the Verizon network so connectivity is top notch. You do have to pay for a full month even if you only need it for a few days. They have a high data allowance (20Gb) compared to Verizon/AT&T's defaults of 5Gb but the price is higher ($79) than Verizon/AT&T.

You also have to buy and use their wifi device (a re-branded Verizon device) as a one time charge. Once the places where I camp have 4G I will shift to Millenicom. In the mean time, I have an old unlimited 3G contract I use as much as I can.

On Edit: corrected spelling of Millenicom

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
Carl n Susan - I love that you have painted your ladder the same colors as your RV. Off topic I know but just wanted to give you a thumbs up!
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Another source of WiFi is Internet-on-the-go www.internet-go.com/ through Walmart, not cheap but you buy 4 gigs at a time for $45.00 but it never expires. We use one provider at our sticks and bricks and use this when we find the Wi-fi at the park we are in isn't working well. We like the lack of a monthly fee and the fact that it doesn't expire.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We grew tired of relying on campground wifi and signed up with Millenicom. http://millenicom.com/
We did have to buy our own mifi hotspot but the Verizon coverage is good and you pay by the month and can turn it on and off
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
We use a Pep Wave to boost a wifi signal and it makes it secure. Google Pep Wave. It was on sale for $50 but I think it's around $99. We use Verizon
Prepaid Jetpack MiFi 5510L.. One week is $15 and one month is $60. You buy a prepaid mobile broadband card and keep adding money to it only when you need it, no monthly contract. Works great, you just have to monitor your usage.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A signal booster for park wifi will not do much for you. The problem is limited bandwidth the park has available. I have stayed at a number of parks where I had strong signal and could still do little more than read e-mail. And sometimes not even that.
I gave up carrying my laptop with me. Typically do what I can on my phone, as I am doing now. Even a mediocre cell signal and I can do better than many park wifi.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Most phones can now be used as a hotspot. If your's can do that trick you can still take the laptop.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Ditto on the pepwave. I use it. It is a little messy to set up, but if you stay in one spot for several days, it is worth it. It connects to the local wifi and gets a better strength signal than a laptop. Then it uses the same antenna to broadcast to you. My problem is I rarely stay longer than 2 or 3 days.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carole

We use a Pep Wave to boost a wifi signal and it makes it secure. Google Pep Wave. It was on sale for $50 but I think it's around $99. We use Verizon
Prepaid Jetpack MiFi 5510L.. One week is $15 and one month is $60. You buy a prepaid mobile broadband card and keep adding money to it only when you need it, no monthly contract. Works great, you just have to monitor your usage.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I agree, it's best just to bypass the sketchy signals altogether. We use the portable hotspot feature on our Iphone, and it works well. If you go over your plan minutes for wifi, it's $20.00/gig after that, so if you use it a lot it might be worthwhile to upgrade your plan.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #15
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Thanks all. We are currently at a revised KOA in Auburn, CA. Good signals.. Soooo, I guess the issue is as mentioned above. Lousy bandwidth. l Appreciate all the feedback. When I get a chance, I'll check on the Verizon plan that allows me to use the phone as a hotspot.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote