Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Ford Truck Purchasers Beware!

Interesting day to say the least.

Took the F250 in last week to have the brand new 5th wheel hitch removed to put in the new F350. Today I took the 350 in to have the hitch installed. Out comes the gentleman that owns the company and does awesome work. He says can't put your Curt hitch in this truck because it has the 5th wheel prep package and ONLY a Draw Tight hitch will fit now without removing the truck bed and all of the hitch prep work installed by Ford during manufacturing. What? We just paid about $1,300 for the new curt hitch!

Call the dealership and they had the attitude that it stunk to be us! They had never said ANYTHING about only one hitch fitting, and come to find out that it was because no one in the entire dealership knew this bit of info!

We drove to the dealership where we have bought many vehicles and sat down with the GM. He offered to pay half of a Ford ordered Draw Tight hitch which cost $1,200 according to him. No deal, we were livid! After about 30 minutes of arguing he finally caved and said if we gave him our new Curt hitch, he would spring for the Draw Tight.

Funny thing is at the hitch place a woman came in with the exact truck. She was getting Timerlans(sp?) installed as she used the gooseneck. She said the dealership where she bought her truck the day before told her all about only being able to use a specific hitch. I believe that may have turned the deal with our dealer, as when I mentioned the woman and the dealership she bought from, the GM got that "deer in the headlight" look.

I must say that I had read a post from the gentleman with the new 450, sorry but can't remember his exact name, and he said he had trouble getting a hitch as well. Never put that two and two together, and it was after I had purchased this truck at any rate.

Just wanted to share in hopes of saving someone from the day I had! Take care and safe travels!

Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
It seems all the new heavy duty trucks have problems with hitch installations
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
When I bought my Ford F250, I chose not to get the Hitch Prep Package which locks you in. My RV dealer indicated I could basically choose the hitch I wanted since the truck was not pre set up.. Still the way to go in my book for versatility and choice. My dealer recommended to not get the prep package for this very reason. Sorry it happened. Getting a new truck should be a fun and happy time.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They are not correct in saying that only the Draw Tite will fit. I have a 2012 F350 with the factory hitch prep. I have a Reese Elite 18k hitch installed. Fits the holes perfect, easy in/easy out. Unless the Draw Tite is the same hitch as the Reese there are at least two available. Don't know if there are others or not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Reese Elite fits the prep along with B&W making one. First I have heard that Draw Tite makes one. I also don't understand how the dealership didn't know Reese Elite was the hitch as that is what Ford has advertised since they came out with the hitch prep since 2011 models, along with them selling it.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2007dura

. I also don't understand how the dealership didn't know Reese Elite was the hitch as that is what Ford has advertised since they came out with the hitch prep since 2011 models, along with them selling it.
I don't either. I bought my Reese Elite from the dealer as part of the truck deal. The hitch came in the box with the Reese name and the Ford name and blue oval actually on it.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I believe Reese, Hidden Hitch, and Draw Tite are owned by the same company ... Cequent Group. Designs probably spill over.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dealer BS. When I bought my 2011 F350, the St Petersburg Ford dealer sent me to Hitchking in Clearwater Fl, and paid for Hitchking to remove the Reese from my old truck and have it reinstalled in the new truck. It was no big deal. Dealer offered the Ford hitch install, and showed me how the bed was set up for an easy install, but my Reese was only a year old and there was no reason to replace.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Well, all I can relate is my experience and what I am being told by MULTIPLE people and organizations. The hitch guy we go to is very reliable and was not trying to sell me anything else, as a matter of fact he is putting the new hitch in for free and didn't charge to take the old one out of the 250. Ford called everyone they could find to get out of the situation and were told Draw Tite was the ONLY hitch that would fit with the prep package. It is interesting to hear that many have had such different experiences.

I was putting this out so people interested in the truck would understand that their current hitch might not fit. I know that if I had been made aware I would have approached the situation differently! Just extremely sad that sales people don't know more about their product!

Thanks for all of your feedback!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Hi Jewels,

On the Ford website, where you can spec out a truck, the option of a 5th wheel hitch has a picture of a Reese Hitch in the bed of the truck. Not a Draw Tight. The fact that the Dealership did not know anything says.....................

This option has been around since 2011 so it is not something new. There are several hitches that will mount up to the pucks in the bed.

Might look here for several different brands plus they have a rail kit that locks into the pucks so you can use your old rail mount hitch. A $329 part so your old hitch will work on a new Ford.

http://tweetys.com/fifth-wheel-hitch...p-package.aspx

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I wish now I had known how many options there were. I really liked my previous Pullrite Super 5th hitch and I see on that Tweetys web site that Pullrite also has a hitch to fit the Ford factory prep package.
Interesting that they even have adapters to adapt other hitches to the Ford factory system.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
You all are definitely a wealth of information! How could it be that a Ford dealer could not figure this our, or already know it for that matter??? I am just dumbfounded!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

You all are definitely a wealth of information! How could it be that a Ford dealer could not figure this our, or already know it for that matter??? I am just dumbfounded!
Julia, most auto dealer folks are car folks. Most have never towed anything bigger than a bass boat. A good lessen learned. Do your own research and go in knowing what you need.

With the vehicle makers, Ford, GM, Ram eliminating positions, you end up with people that are clerks and just follow a script. Ford only has one hitch and they think that is all there is.

Glad you got it sorted out. Google is your friend.

http://bit.ly/1fQLK7b

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

Julia, most auto dealer folks are car folks. Most have never towed anything bigger than a bass boat. A good lessen learned. Do your own research and go in knowing what you need.

With the vehicle makers, Ford, GM, Ram eliminating positions, you end up with people that are clerks and just follow a script. Ford only has one hitch and they think that is all there is.

Glad you got it sorted out. Google is your friend.

http://bit.ly/1fQLK7b

Jim
Thanks for the advice Jim. Usually, I am a researcher of all things who wears Google out! Guess I dropped the ball on this on.......just never IMAGINED that Ford would climb into bed with one hitch manufacturer! My mistake and my lesson learned!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Purchased the factory prep with my truck and really like the flat bed when hitch is out. When we agreed on price my dealer also agreed to to take my 16K B&W Companion mounted in my trade truck along with the gooseneck ball for a new Reese 25K that includes a gooseneck ball.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
We purchased our new F-350 two months ago. It had the factory fifth wheel package that did not fit our Reese hitch. Dealer said..."No problem, we can remove the factory hitch system and install your hitch....$200.00." DONE! No issues.
Tell your Dealer to do his/her homework. It can be easily done.
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Had same problem. I contacted Curt. My tech's were able to make it work by cutting out the Reese support system and starting over. I love my Curt Q24 and refused to be forced into new hitch!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I don't want to sound like the bad guy here,but isn't that a question that should have been asked before either buying or ordering a new truck? I understand the frustration with the dealer,thats why you need to do your homework.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
To answer last post. Yes in hindsight "asking the question" would be good idea. In my case, even dealer was not aware of issue. My dealer assisted / helped with modifications needed for brand other than Reese. The 2014 order sheet at time my F450 was ordered did not stipulate the pre fifthwheel set up was "Exclusive". I believe Ford will be more clear in the future. Also many companies like Curt are developing work arounds. Frankly I like my "Curt" system and "hate" to be forced into buying something I already own! In my case it all worked out, with minimal out of pocket. Note: Ford has many "off" the order sheet options, not fully explained. If you see the picture of my truck it's clear. The Grill on mines has no paint, just chrome. You order King Ranch or Platinum models the Grill is painted. Going all chrome is available, you just have to special request it! I did not like the "painted" look.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
B&W Also has a Ford OEM hitch and it costs ~$900 on the Internet. http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=17754
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote