Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Military Campgrounds in Florida

Hoping to get out of the cold and go south for a few months in the winter. From what I have read online, majority of the campgrounds do not take reservations. It seems that you usually go into dry for a bit then move into a camp site with hookups.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on the military campgrounds in Florida?
Thanks,
Jim & Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Look here:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
illapah,
thanks for the website.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Just ran into someone were we were camping, says he was going to Kings Bay Sub Base, (St Marys, GA) 2-3 miles off I95. I didn't know they had a camp ground, but he said they did. I worked for Lockheed at Kings Bay Sub Base, from 1986 to 1997, It is a pretty location. Sub Base is on St Marys River, which separates GA and FL.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Hi John & Cindy,

Thanks for the info. I looked up the campground. It looks wonderful and has great reviews, I added it to a folder that I have for military campgrounds.
My husband Jim & I also worked for Lockheed for a few years at the Brunswick Naval Air Station in Maine, small world.
We just joined the Montana Owners Club a few weeks ago and I can't believe how great it is. Everyone is so helpful and friendly.

Thanks again,
Jim & Marge
Old 10-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Mayport is another good spot, NAS JAX I would pass on, the paved sites are terrible, when they were built they left as much as 20 inch drop from one end to the other. The unpaved sites are supposed to be upgraded to paved 50 amp. Hunter Army Air Field in Savannah has a brand new RV area. I have not seen it yet but will be there in the next three weeks and will make a report on the Military CG guide website. NAS Key West is the only military CG in the lower keys and is very popular to retired military. So much so that there is a FHU/boondock rotation. It is a great spot and we love it but since we have no genset or solar as yet we will stay north of KW until after Easter when the snow birds head back north. NAS Pensacola has two CGs in the area, Panama City has one, Eglin AFB has one or two CGs. Patrick has a very popular RV park. There many good military RV parks in Florida. The Military CG guide should have them all.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Patrick AFB, Melborne Florida was one of my best stops this summer. Enjoyed the fishing and swimming in the intercoastal and the AFB beaches. Great FAMCAMP.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have stayed at several in Florida, Eglin AFB in the panhandle near Ft Walton Beach. Nice CG with good sites and very close to water and BX/Commissary and walking distance to hospital...Mayport NAS in Jacksonville is right on the water and you can watch the ships come in and out. Pensacola is a little small but doable, near Gulf Shores....My MWR book shows about 18 CGs in Florida....Have a great time, we did. Destin Army is a very nice site, however we cancelled our stay because sites were small and in a parking lot. You should be able to find something to suit your needs in Florida.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
MacDill AFB, right in Tampa and on the Tampa Bay. It's busy so call ahead to get in.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks again for the recommendations and information about the campgrounds. It's great to get information from fellow MOC's who have stayed at some of the campgrounds. Still hoping to get out of Maine for part of the winter, but can't leave until middle of January. I'm concerned about driving into roads that might be snow covered and black ice but Jim of course isn't. After 500 miles we should be all set. The worrying is maybe a wife thing?????

Jim & Marge