Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Best Route? Florida to California

Okay guys I need some help. My daughter is leaving the West Coast of Florida on Sunday to drive here and then from here to Spokane. When they went to Florida 2 years ago they took I10 so I think they are wanting a different route. She plans on picking up I40 in Memphis and then taking I17 at Flagstaff down to the 10 which will put her close to Hemet. I'm afraid they may hit snow at Flagstaff. Any suggestions???? Please pray for a safe trip - they will be towing a small U-Haul with their little Mazada car.
Happy trails.........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sue:

Made the first part of that trip in August, the last part (in reverse) recently. Took I-10 to Pensacola, US98/US49 to Jackson MS, then I-20 to Dallas. I really don't like I-10 across MS and LA. I would then recommend staying on I-20 from Dallas to South Texas and hit I-10 there. Long, empty stretch, but good road. Then up through El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix. Stay on I-10 through Banning, then 79 from Beaumont to Hemet. Should keep them out of the snow country, except for the remote possibility of a late storm in W. Texas. Very unlikely this time of year.

I strung it out on Streets and Trips just now and it is 2582 miles from Melbourne, FL to Hemet via that route. 2614 if you cut up to I-40 out of Dallas to Amarillo and then across through Albuquerque and Flagstaff. Lots more chance of cr---y weather on that route.

Just my thoughts. Hope that is helpful...Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a quick "second" to patodonn's suggestions. I make that Pensacola, Mobile, Jackson, Shreveport, Texas route quite often. The worst stretch of I-20 is just East of Shreveport, but that doesn't last long. Sometimes I drive right through Shreveport on I-20, but there is also a bypass (I-220??) to the North over Cross Lake, and back into I-20.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
I cannot help on the part from FL to CA as my routes I take from Spokane to Nashville and Orlando are through the north. I am leaving Spokane on the 23rd of March heading to Sunnyvale, Ca for a week, will be returning on the 30th of March. The route I am taking is leaving Spokane I-90 west to Riztville, WA jumping 395-South to I-84 West into Portland Oregon, where I am taking I-5 South the rest of the way. I usually take I-97 south through Bend and central Oregon, but there tends to be some good snow around there during the months of March and April. I-5 is usually a much safer bet for this time of year.

What brings your daughter up to my neck of the woods in Spokane? I hope they travel well and arrive safe in Spokane.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
They are moving to Spokane. My daughter's partner's family live there and they have a chance to live on a ranch free in exchange for helping with the horses. My daughter has dreamed of this since a child so she is really excited. Besides having a degree in technical theater and archeology she is a certified wilderness recovery so she thinks Spokane will be exciting. They will probably move to Seattle someday for more theater opportunities. But also would like to hook up with some of the traveling shows -Shakespeare and Renaissance troops. We began camping (tent) when she was still in diapers so I guess I started all this. She was born in Upstate New York so she remembers snow and cold but of course it is different as an adult than it was as a child.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
There are some great places up here in Spokane. If she likes the outdoors I have a feeling your daughter will really enjoy it here. My sister lives in Seattle, after spending a weekend there I usually cant wait to get out of the craziness and back to a more calm way of life. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi--Just wanted to jump in here and ask why 'Patodonn'(or anyone else for that matter) doesn't like I-10 through LA & MS?? We are headed to Florida from Calif. via I-10, and then north and back on I-40.
I-10 is a direct route for us out there. WE would appreciate any input.
Thanks--Ronni
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
REAL bumpy.... did some minor damage to our Monty going E. from New Orleans in '04. Also, not sure of the adequacy of the road, services and facilities post-Katrina. Why go there if you don't have to? I-20 is a good road, much less "beat up" IMHO. The hwy(s) connecting I-20 to Florida's I-10, from Jackson, MS down to Pensacola, is fine.

There is another thread or two re I-10 here on the Forum...should be some good and current info in them. Try a Search.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I 10 is rough, you will be whooped at the end of a long travel day on it. I 20 around Shreveport is rough as well, again, not welcome riding after a long day of travel, wore us out. SIGH

Have asked this question of a few that have made the trek, how are the campgrounds, post Katrina, in LA and Mississippi?? Anyone want to add some comments on this. Are they still full of victims?? Can we even think of getting a campsite for a night or two on a run through there? Or, should we leave them to heal another year. Comments on I 10 and on I 20 availability are both welcome.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #10
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Hey Carol,

We only stayed in one place on the way west, a Jellystone Park. We stayed there because it is Passport. The park was OK but very dirty. They said it was impossible to get help because the government was paying people not to work. It also was not their season so I wouldn't be too hard on them. There were plenty of sites and I assume that access would not be an issue. There were some FEMA units in there but not many.

Coming east on I 20 Monday, I must have passed 50 FEMA units going west.

We did not stay in any parks on I 20 but we passed a lot that seemed to have plenty of room. I would defintely prefer 20 to 10 if I had the choice.

Best wishes to you both,

Safe travels

David

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks David for your observations on this issue!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote