Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
bogusrose
Established Member

M.O.C. #4646
toliet leak

Been in our new 2006 3000RK for three weeks now. Just love it! A couple of problems but so far nothing huge. Maybe you all can help us with this one. We have water leaking occasionally from our toliet. I've tightened the bolts on each side and back of the toliet but that didn't solve the problem. Can't figure out why it leaks once in awhile and doesn't leak all the time. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks

bogusrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
bogusrose
Welcome to the forum. Glad your enjoying your new unit. That 3000rk wasn't even available when we ordered our 3295rk. You didn't say where the toilet is leaking. Ours is leaking water from the toilet bowl and we tried cleaning the seal with no results. We are taking our unit in next week for service and are going to have the service tech replace the seal under warranty. Again enjoy your new unit and happy camping
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Does it leak only when one certain person uses it? We just attended a seminar where the speaker mentioned that the toilet in his rig leaked. He couldn't seem to find out where it leaked until he discovered that it leaked only when he sat on it. It seems that his weight (235 lbs) squeezed the gasket enough that it allowed water to run out around it. His solution was to retighten all the bolts again.

Since you've tightened all the bolts, I would suspect a possible leak at the valve. The valve should probably be replaced. We had a leak one time but it was a loose coupling in the water line and the water was just oozing out just enough to make a puddle over night.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
jdurhamsd

M.O.C. #4844
bogusrose,

Our '06 3400RL has the Dometic Traveler Lite 210. The 1st month, no leaks. The 2nd month, it leaked for me (275 lbs) but not my wife (115 lbs). The water came from behind the stainless steel compression band that secures the toilet bowl to the pedestal. (To get to the SS band, remove the pedestal cover. The SS band is several inches higher than the ball valve. This fix is described in the DTL-210 manual.) I tightened the SS band with a screw driver to the maximum possible by hand. The leaking did not stop for me, but I felt that more tightening might damage the unit. I switched to the campground toilet because I did not have the time to find a dealer to make the repair. My wife continued to use it. The 3rd month, I went to a Keystone dealer and made arrangements for the repair. But, I thought that I would verify the problem by using the toilet. It did not leak. My conclusion: Dometic probably delivered the toilet with the seal tightened for a "Lite" person. The leaking water probably caused the gasket to swell, and combined with my tightening of the SS band probably completed the seal. When I use the toilet, I am careful to apply my body weight uniformly downward on the seat and never onto one side.

If you buy a backup gasket kit for emergency field repair, be aware that the commonly used Dometic kit does not fit. Get the one that is specifically for the 210.
jdurhamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 AM   #5
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
When we first got our 2005 3475 the toilet bowl leaked water into the tank. I tried cleaning the gasket with no results. Next I got out the vaseline and coated the gasket. It has been fine since.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote