Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Best deal on the Internet

Most of you know we use surveillance cameras back home and on our Monty by some of the pics we've posted. Our stationary cameras are a system bought from Harbor Freight Tools and have been running strong for about 2 years now. Well today, while surfing their web site, I came across the best sale I've seen yet. $249.99 for the same system we use. Just thought I would give my friends here a heads up. And yes, we bought another system to replace ours if something happens and it quits. http://www.harborfreight.com/Surveil...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for the head's up!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Looks like a good price for that system. Is that the same one you have?
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Same but different,
Got this in my inbox this morning,
mail order Tiger Direct. Some of these are after a rebate.

I don't own one but the price is cheaper $220
Night Owl LTE-44500 4 Channel LTE Full D1 DVR - 500GB Hard Drive, 4 Cameras, Motion Activated, H.264 Compression, 120 fps, Mulitple Languages, PC & Mac Compatible

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=N247-2080

OR

Refurbished for $189
Night Owl 4BL-45GB-R-RB Video Security System - 4 Cameras, 4-Channel H.264 DVR, 500GB, D1 Recording, Night Vision Up to 45 Feet (Refurbished)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ey=N247-1200RB

There is also an 8 camera one for $299 after rebate.
Night Owl LTE-88500 8 Channel DVR Security System - 500GB HD, 8 Cameras, Indoor and Outdoor, 30' ft Night Vision, Motion Activated Recording, Email Alerts, PC and MAC Compatible Item#: N247-2084

Just another source Geeks.com also has them. This was just what was in my email this morning.
Their 4 channel below is only $179 but does not include a hard drive
http://www.geeks.com/search.asp?quer...tems&FIELD=ALL
Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Not sure where my other post went to, but yes that is the system we have. We now own 3 of them.

As for the Night Owl systems, I have 8 cameras and one DVR right now and don't like anything about them. The software is a joke, IMHO. They are not as clear as the HFT cameras. Yes they are cheaper in every aspect. Remember this is just My Humble Opinion.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Yup I have heard via web postings about their horrible software.

Don't forget ya get what ya pay for (sometimes) unless you have extremely over payed for the exact same item.

Thanks for the review and tip.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Not sure where my other post went to, but yes that is the system we have. We now own 3 of them.

As for the Night Owl systems, I have 8 cameras and one DVR right now and don't like anything about them. The software is a joke, IMHO. They are not as clear as the HFT cameras. Yes they are cheaper in every aspect. Remember this is just My Humble Opinion.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Timely post, thank you. My recorder is on it's last leg and I need a new one. color is gone, it freezes up and it is noisy down in the safe room. It is only 3 yrs old. (Which may be the life of one) it does run 24-7 365.
I just need the recorder. I have a Nuvico system
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
The Harbor Freight cams software is so smooth, I can even change system setting from 1100 miles away over the Internet from my Smart Phone or Laptop.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Timely post, thank you. My recorder is on it's last leg and I need a new one. color is gone, it freezes up and it is noisy down in the safe room. It is only 3 yrs old. (Which may be the life of one) it does run 24-7 365.
I just need the recorder. I have a Nuvico system
Ozz, you're a little late to the party, but there is still a way to get this system pretty cheap. The price is now $279.99, but if you'll go buy a Field and Stream magazine, they are in other mags also, HFT will have an add in it with a 20% off coupon which you can use on the $279.

Hey I just had a thought, if you don't mind crappy software, I've got a almost new 4 cam DVR I'd let you have for a good price. The on screen software is not bad, but the computer software is a joke. It works good, I just got spoiled with the HFT software. If you can wait until the 23rd, I'll even deliver it in person as Carol has taken a Travel Nurse assignment in Lees Summit for the summer. PM me if your interested.

On edit, OMG, I just did the math and the cost before tax come out to $223.20. I'm going to HFT right now to see if this works, which it has in the past, I may have a whole storage locker full of these things before it's over.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! life is so complicated. I will look foreword to coffee with you, email me when you get settled in.
Where will you stay?
Sue just told me it was a 2 day nightmare for her to set up the software for the Nuvi, she is not interested in any more complications.
I just emailed my computer guy and asked him if he could squirt some 30 weight on the drive on the recorder and make it work better...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Since we have a house on Pomme De Terre lake 60 miles north of Springfield, we will stay home and pull the Monty up to Lees Summit when she works. I have no idea where we will park the Monty at this moment, but as close to St Luke's on Hwy 50, Lees Summit, as we can get. Some hospitals out west have a part of the parking lot set up for RVs. We're kind of hoping with St Luke's being as big a system as they are that they do this. With our solar, we could boondock, but we would sure miss our air conditioner and I don't know how the hospital would feel about us running a generator for the front air.

As for your DVR. Most of them have a replaceable hard drive that you can order from Tiger Direct. They use a hard drive similar to a desktop computer. Just make sure in hooks up SCSI. I may have those letters a little wrong, but someone will surly correct me on here.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
BTW, if you know of a reasonably priced RV park or campground close to there we might just leave the RV there and drive her car back and forth.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is amazing how few RV parks there are in this big city. I have no idea about that area, we are way up north by the airport.
On edit:
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions..._s_Summit.html
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Shame she didn't take the Leavenworth assignment. We could have stayed in your back yard.

That seems to be the best page we found also. We were shocked at how few RV parks there are up there too.

BTW, look what I found. http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-c...aff-17547.html You might be money ahead to just go ahead and replace your DVR with the one in this system and keep the cameras as spares.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Shame she didn't take the Leavenworth assignment. We could have stayed in your back yard.

That seems to be the best page we found also. We were shocked at how few RV parks there are up there too.

BTW, look what I found. http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-c...aff-17547.html You might be money ahead to just go ahead and replace your DVR with the one in this system and keep the cameras as spares.
I have 8 cameras with mine. I like the idea of replacing the hard drive.
What unit does Bingo have? Bingo?