Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Finished our first ever winterizing of rig

We got home wed and finished unloading and winterizing rig this afternoon. For those of you that have yet to winterize here is a special notice: CLOSE THE LOW POINT DRAINS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO SUCK UP THE PINK!!! Betsy hollered at me "there is nothing coming out of the faucets! At which time I looked down and saw the end of the first gallon of pink running onto the ground. And of course I didnt go to the local discount store to buy the pink either so I got stabbed at the local BP to the tune of 31 dollars for three gallons. I found out later that the local discount store normally sells it for 4 bucks and this weekend was selling it for 2.99 with instant rebate. Anyway it is all winterized and parked out back. Now all we have to do is stow all the stuff we brought in the house. But we have all winter to do that. And it IS WINTER! There was snow on the deck this morning and the last three nights it has been in the mid 20s. Just lovely...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Did I read it right Dave $31 for 3 gals. Was the clerk wearing a mask? I just hate it when I do something like this and trust me I have done it.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Not wearing a mask just a stupid look when I asked about it. It was actually 31.85. And it was a BP so I guess they are trying to recoup the losses on the spill by having their way with us on other than fuel prices.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Yup, you really got ripped a good one on that $31 for 3 bottles of pink stuff. Should have let me now and I'd have given you some of my $1.97 stuff I got last year at Menards! Oh well, it's all done and Monte is warm and cozy with the pink stuff flowing through it's veins! Well hopefully not flowing but in it's veins anyway!

We haven't got the white stuff yet but the temps have been in the low 30's to mid 20's at night already! Sure glad we're not in the Northeast with all of that snow and all of the leaves on the trees. We went through that four years ago or so and we spent the rest of the fall and most of the winter trying to clean up the branches that broke! What a mess! Took seven people and three chainsaws running constant for three days just to clear the area so we could get down the street and into the property! Hope you don't run into that problem!

Stay warm and think about the coming spring!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Dave - did you get to use the snow removal equipment attached to the rear of your Montana?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Nope, not enough snow.It is staying on the back of the rig where it belongs. I forgot to add that my favorite 100 foot white pine is now a grand total of 26 feet tall and a terrible sight. So the rig should be safe from falling timber for the winter and I was looking forward to getting a new BigSky after the insurance settled.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Now after Ozz reported an earlier crime this week we have a total of two reported crimes on the MOC this week. Maybe we should start a catagory called crime scene!!
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
The only thing we can say is, if it's that cold there and you where short of time, that $31.85 could have saved you hundreds and headache if it froze, so if you look at it that way it will make you feel better!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And just why are you staying where it is going to get cold?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Sorry to hear you got gouged. I don't know if you have an air compressor, but by using the air method you spend less money on RV antifreeze and don't have to flush out anything when you want to return your RV to service. If you want to save even more money, you can use cold weather windshield washer fluid to pour into your P traps which is less expensive than the pink stuff. Just a alternate way to winterize. The important thing is that you were able to get it done.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I did the same one year left the outside shower on Pink all over the Driveway
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave, your always welcome at the View, but I'm glad I now know someone who can give me advice on winterizing the 5er. I have never winterized a RV yet .. I must tell you we are still using the A/C here in Florida and haven't used the heat yet. We actually came dow about a month to early but Sunshine everyday, and no SNOW. I'm sure your looking forward to spring...... Happy Trails....

P.S. Oh I almost forgot, we in America are being gouged everyday its just a American thing....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote