Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
LP Problems

Once again I call upon your expertise!

Background: Had propane company install a large propane tank next to the Monty. Unhooked driver side tank and connected large tank to that. They also installed a splitter to lead to our BBQ which we disconnected (see problem below).

Problem: Stove burners do not flame high enough, furnace does not heat hot enough and burner turns off if stove is being used.

Done so far: Switched water heater to electric only. Had propane tank people remove their regulator. Disconnected the BBQ line from the BBQ, left hose in place on the big tank. Checked to be sure valves are fully opened. Problem still continues.

We suspect regulator problem on the Monty?????

Does anyone have any suggestions??????

Thank you for any advice you may have!

Sue Churchill

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There is a history of early Monty's with an 18# Regulator on the Road side, members changed it out in favor of a 30# Reg, newer Monty's now come with the 30# Reg. I think the problems you have are a result of low pressure, so check for that reg.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm guessing the onboard tanks are not needed or used with this large tank in place. If you have a dual regulator, the switch should be exclusively set in the direction to the large tank, therefore it does not seem that the second tank in the Monty with the 18/30 psi regulator is even used.

Is there a regulator on the tank before it attaches to the regulator on the rig? If so, what is that tank's regulator set to? I would guess it should be a higher PSI to guarantee that the Monty's regulator gets enough propane to regulator itself. It does sound like something is not providing enough pressure and these would be the only two places I would suspect unless the tank is bad. You might try substituting the dual regulator for an appropriate single regulator to the rig and eliminate any possibility that the rig's dual regulator or the remote 18/20 psi regulator have any impact.

I'm surprised the tank people haven't tried to debug what's going on. I would think if you can't get their tank working with your Monty, that you might want to try another company and their equipment and that should help these first propane tank suppliers help you or risk losing business.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Art: They are coming out this afternoon to check it out. They started out with a regulator on the big tank and removed it yesterday thinking that was the problem. We have the curb side valve pointing to the large tank. We have had to replace the road side regulator in the past (couple of years ago) as it was leaking. I have a feeling they opened the tank valve too fast and blew that regulator. I'm going to ask them to replace it with a 30# regulator. Hopefully they don't refer me to an RV repair person. Winters can be pretty cold up here and want this resolved!

You are right, threatening to lose our business might help. So far they have been very nice and appear to want to help.

On the bright side, I located the electric switch for the water heater! Now we don't have to use up propane to heat water unless we need a boost! )

Thank you for your replies!
Sue

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
In May, I began camp hosting. A gas company put in a large propane tank and (as part of the hook-up) did a leak and pressure check. The leak test was good. The pressure was low. So, he adjusted the existing regulator until the water column in his gauge was "correct". He told me that often RV manufacturers will take the stock regulator, install it and never adjust it to the correct pressure for the appliances they install. I have no idea what that pressure was but....

No problems at all since the adjustment.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

There is a history of early Monty's with an 18# Regulator on the Road side, members changed it out in favor of a 30# Reg, newer Monty's now come with the 30# Reg. I think the problems you have are a result of low pressure, so check for that reg.
Agree, but on my rig the weak red regulator was on the curb side, street side was okay. Don't recall the name of the regulator, but if you call them they can give you all the information you need...think it was Marshall.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The pressure should be 11 inches of water column, if I remember right, at the stove. Since a 30 pound tank is no different than a 100 gallon tank, I wouldn't put a regulator in between; I would just plumb to the existing on-board regulator.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
x2 what snfexpress said...only one regulator should be used, two in series is going to have issue due to not attaining significant pressure as well as reduce total flow.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
As an update, the propane guy hooked the tank up to the 2 stage regulator side (curb side). It seems to be working now, we are able the stove and furnace will now work at the same time! The propane guy suspects the red regulator on the street side is bad. We will have to be sure and replace that when we move to another site, but no plans of that for a couple more years! Thank you all for your suggestions, as always a lot of good information!