Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Is the wiring for the bedroom air already there?

I only have a vent there now. I've heard it's already there.

Thanks...

Gary

Guvner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Generally, if there is a white junction box cover labeled A/C prep in your ceiling by the vent, then you are prewired. Check your build sheet from the factory.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
That's not good... I don't have the box. I was hoping if you pulled the the vent apart is would be laying in there...

Thanks.. Gary
Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That's one thing I would let a dealer install so they would be responsible for the installation and it would be under the warranty.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Being an actual air conditioner repairman/installer it would be hard for me to be worried enough about doing it to consult a dealer. I would just have to figure out a way to get the wiring up there. Already been thinking about it since the first answer. I would sure be able to see where the chaseways were once that vent assembly was out of the way. Already installed a hdtv on the top of the wall where you come into the door into my kitchen/living room. (entire install is around here somewhere.

Thanks... Gary
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In my rig the prep was an outlet cover next to the vent. Look for a blank outlet plate - remove it and you should see some wires in there that go to the distribution panel. The panel has a 20 amp breaker set aside for a second A/C unit. That's the extent of the "2nd A/C Prep" in my rig. Behind that plate were a set of power wires for providing the power to the unit and nothing else. The Vent itself was just a hole in the roof without any way to connect any control wires to the Temperature control or any provision for connecting this new unit to the existing ducting.

I would be able to install a stand-alone second A/C unit and that's it and the unit itself would need its own controls and would duct into the immediate area. With a lot of extra work I could probably connect it to the existing duct work and run some wires to the control unit, but I don't have any desire to work that hard. A separate second unit works fine by itself to supplement the existing unit.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
I looked for that outlet cover once before and didn't see it. Not sure why it wouldn't have power for at least a Fantastic Fan. Hmmmm...

Thanks.. Gary
Old 05-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Fantastic fan is DC, which will not help with an Air conditioner hookup.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Ours has a white cover plate where the wires would/should be for the second AC unit.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
I looked pretty hard but didn't see anything approaching even something breaking up the ceiling. All looked nice and smooth to me with no access covers of any kind anywhere near that vent you'd be using for the air conditioner. Kind of surprised, but the wiring might be there. Just a lazy installer who never got around to cutting out an access box hole I hope. I presume the power to the air conditioner is in the center AC panel in the little table between the rocker chairs. Hopefully it will have an empty breaker slot or breaker labeled 2nd AC.

Thanks... Gary
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I see from your other post you have a 2000 3150 it may not have been prewired in the 2000 models so maybe someone with that year can tell you. When asking questions about the units it is always good to state the year and model as there are always changes year to year.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I have a 06 and it was not prewired even though the dealer said it was. I helped a friend install one on his 2010 mountaineer it had the white cover next to the vent and the power wire was there no T-Stat wire.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If you only have a 30 AMP breaker panel as indicated in your other post, you are not pre wired for a 2ND A/C unit. 30 AMPS is not enough to run two A/C units.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
I have two panels though and it is hooked with a 50 amp connector. I run a washer and dryer also. There is a breaker box in the middle in the little table/drawers between the two factory chairs. Is that where the AC power would be?

Thanks... Gary

Ps. Wish I had the trailer up here with me. I'll be bringing the meters on my next visit along with a bunch of things in case I just want to run a separate box. If I find there is power up there for the missing AC I'll heat pump it to take away the need for the extra heater on cool mornings.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #15
REPO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11385
Yours sounds like mine. I have a 2001 and the second panel box has an empty spot that says 2nd AC. No breaker in place, and no extra wires behind the box. I also have no junction box in the roof, so I think its pretty safe to say that neither of us have it pre-wired.
REPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #16
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Ours has the outlet plate, but we ordered it with the wiring in place. I don't think it's standard from the factory.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
AH.... there you have it. The 2nd A/C prep was an option on some rigs but I thought that option started in mid-2000s and consisted of Keystone putting in the 20 amp circuit breaker into the panel, the 110v wiring to a junction box next to the vent in the event an owner wanted to add a second unit in the future. Doing it in the factory would be easier than afterwards like what you will have to do. The price we paid for our rig indicates to me we paid for that option along with a bunch of other weirdball options like the "winter kit".

It appears REPO answered the question for both your rigs, that with the age of your rigs, you may find there is a slot in the power distribution panel for the breaker, but the actual circuit breaker and none of the wiring was run. The answer is you don't have the "Prep for 2nd A/C" option. You can still get a second A/C, but it will have to include the extra labor and materials to get it wired.

Beyond 2006, I don't know if the 2nd A/C option includes that ducting and thermostat control wiring. With my rig the bedroom unit will be standalone unless I wanted to incur extra labor to get it ducted and connected to the existing control panel.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote