Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Adding 2 6 Volt Batteries to existing 12 Volt

I had this posted somewhere else, but thought it might get more interest or replies under it's own topic.

Would there be a problem with having 2 6v batteries installed in addition to the 12v that came with the RV?

We are considering doing that.

Thanks

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

I had this posted somewhere else, but thought it might get more interest or replies under it's own topic.

Would there be a problem with having 2 6v batteries installed in addition to the 12v that came with the RV?

We are considering doing that.

Thanks
There are many who say you shouldn't mix battery types. Why not just change out your 12-volt battery for two 6-volt batteries connected in series; then connect two more 6-volt batteries in series with each other and in parallel with the first set? To me, if I was interested in using 6-volt batteries, that's what I'd do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Battery makers recommend against mixing. They also recommend using batteries with similar lifes if connecting in any way. If going to 6 volts get two new ones to start with.
If going to 12 volt batteries, get two new ones to start with.
Mixing new and old batteries will work together but the older battery will draw the new one down to its level.
IMHO technically you can mix the batteries but for optimal performance go with the makers recommendations.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I also think mixing 6/12 V batteries may be bad. The voltage will be whatever the lowest battery (combo) is. i.e. if the 12V is reading 12.4, then it will draw down the 2 6V to match.
In my case, I have 2 6V and a my original 12V, but installed a switch to use one set, the other set, or parellel. This also allows me to just flip the switch to off when in storage.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
As I posted on the other thread, in theroy it will work and work fine, but I still think the problem will come when you're trying to charge the mixed set of batteries. I too would go with either one setup or the other, unless as Tom does you isolate them via a switch set up so each bank could be charged independently.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I also did what Twindman did. We do not have any 6v batteries, but I do have a wet cell and an AGM battery installed at the same time. The switch allows me to isolate either side or as was stated turn everything off to prevent drawdown of charge by hidden electrical drains in the newer models (remote panel among one). When charging, due to the nature of the differences, it is advisable to charge one, then the other, unless you can remain hooked up for charging throughout the charging life of both batteries (The AGM will pull the charge first and will fully charge before the wet cell will, and I would assume your configuration would act in a similar manner). At least that is my understanding of how they work together on a charger at the same time.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I wish I could find the articles, but I've read several times it is not good to mix voltages and battery types for concurrent use. Electrically speaking the voltages are not the issue. The issues start with the characteristics of the batteries in that they often have different discharge and charging rates and this is where the problems start. For example, do not mix, gel with water, maintenance-free with maintenance type, dual 6 volt with 12 volt. This can cause a faster discharging water-filled battery to draw down a slower discharging gel-filled. I believe the advantage to 6V batteries is that they discharge slow and recharge quicker than most 12v, therefore having a 12v in the concurrent circuit would negatively impact the 6v batteries.

Some above have mentioned that they have both type inline but they are isolated, so this satisfies the principal of keeping them separate.

I experienced the "different attributes" battery issue first hand when I had TWO water-filled batteries and they were the same brand and model, but when one battery was failing (after 5 years of ownership) it caused the other one to seem it was failing too (I could never read higher than 13.2v even when charging). When I finally got smart enough to isolate each battery from each other, and found that the failing battery no longer recharged (remained around 11v) then the other battery perked up to over 14 volts when recharging and about 13v when operating and the single batter kept the trailer operating correctly. You can imagine how much worse it could have been even with good batteries, the one that has worse characteristics can cause the better battery(ies) to have degraded performance.

I wouldn't connect dual 6v with 12v because I think this would be the biggest difference between 12v systems when it comes to different characteristics. But to answer your question having two switchable separate systems like what was mentioned above would work, but then one system is dead weight while the other is doing its job. But maybe when the one starts to discharge too much and you switch to the other provides redundancy.

Let us know what you do. Many owners have some very creative setups.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I also did what Twindman did. We do not have any 6v batteries, but I do have a wet cell and an AGM battery installed at the same time. The switch allows me to isolate either side or as was stated turn everything off to prevent drawdown of charge by hidden electrical drains in the newer models (remote panel among one). When charging, due to the nature of the differences, it is advisable to charge one, then the other, unless you can remain hooked up for charging throughout the charging life of both batteries (The AGM will pull the charge first and will fully charge before the wet cell will, and I would assume your configuration would act in a similar manner). At least that is my understanding of how they work together on a charger at the same time.
Bingo
Bingo,
Have you had this type of setup for any length of time? I've had a lot of experience with wet cell batteries and presently use two 12-volt Lifeline D8 (AGM) batteries connected in parallel. They've been in use for a little over eight years now and still going strong. The fact that the AGM battery charges faster than the wet cell battery would deter me from hooking the two different types of batteries to my system.

One of the main reasons I went away from the OEM wet cell batteries is because I mounted my inverter in the battery compartment and that's a no-no according to Xantrex. Plus, I don't have to add water!!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have only had the system since last Spring. I agree completely with you Orv. The only reason I still have the wet cell is that it came with the rig. When it dies (even if it is an abbreviated life because of the way I am using it) I will add another AGM at that time. That is also one of the reasons that I installed the isolator switch as per other previous posts. It allows one battery to discharge and then I can switch to the other to start the onboard generator and charge the discharged battery. Good information from all.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks to all for the information and recommendations. Do definitely learn a lot from the MOC.

Originally I thought why get rid of a brand new 12V battery, I could add the 2 6V batteries too and when the 12V goes, replace it then, why be wasteful. It seems that's not the way to go.

We will be replacing the 12V with the 2 6V for now.

Again thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!!
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Excellent choice on going with the 6 volts. I had read somewhere that when you charge them,charge them like you use them. I put 4-6volts in my 09, 2955 when I purchased. Set up to be 1 large 12v pac. Always plenty of power. Also added a solar panel to recharge during the day. To me the 6v have a longer life than the 12v.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote