Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Questions about the Dish Tailgator

Does anyone have any experience with the Dish Tailgator. It is about $200 less than the Wingard portable and sounds like a really good deal, but you know what they say about good deals.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I don't know how good a deal it is, or how well it works, but if you're not a Dish customer and want to buy one, these folks are selling the antenna and receiver for $199 (not including service).
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Don,
I was looking at that yesterday. Nice thing about the Dish Tailgater is that it doesn't need a power supply, power comes from the receiver through the coax. The Wingard requires a separate power supply. Both will have a delay when changing stations if on a different satellite as they are not triple LNB units, a slight inconvenience.

It requires a VIP211k receiver which I already have. (You can attach an external hard disk that serves as a DVR.) The online reviews look positive. I'll be interested if anyone has on hand experience.

Pat,
That deal requires 2 year service commitment. You can purchase the tailgater for $355, receiver for $123 with no service commitment (Amazon). Existing Dish customers can add the receiver for $7/mo or "pay as you go" (a monthly RV plan).
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
sue531
Established Member

M.O.C. #11214
We use the Tailgater and it has worked quite well. Dish has put together a pretty nice package, it is so much easier than pointing the dish looking for signal. We use the app Dishpointer to get an idea of a clear path to the sats and from there it works as advertised. It will only feed one receiver so we have the bedroom TV with the same programming as the lower level.
sue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
We have had ours for 2 months now. As mentioned it only works with the 211K receiver and only serves one receiver. We have not had any problems at all and are very happy with it. We have moved several times and the unit finds the sats pretty quickly when we set up in the new spot. I do use a cheapo compass to make sure we have a clear view and the helps me determine where to sit the antenna. We do have the DVR function via an external hard drive. One drawback on the DVR is I cannot record one show while watching another.
The unit does receive HD channels and we paid one lump sum price for "HD for life" that DISH offers.

Since we only hook up the rear (living area) TV to the dish and our 3400 only has one sat/cable in connection I went ahead and installed a seperate plug in mounted through the wall of the entertainment center slide. This way I can leave all the existing cables untouched for when we use a parks cable or using the roof antenna.

Phil

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Wingerphil, I am interested in how you did the other hook up you talked about. photos or give me an email, donkidd@sunset.net. thanks
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
We have the Tailgater also. We bought it last year so I could watch the football games while camping and disney channel for my 4 year old. We love it. It is very simple to hook up. It really is sort of plug and play as it requires no other power source. I am going to build a ladder bracket for mine to get it higher. We also went with the RV month to month package with dish and have been very satisfied.
tyler_bustos is offline   Reply With Quote