Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Air Winterizing

OK, I posted on the other thread about getting the Monte ready for winter. This year I used the "Air method" which I have never done before. I have a question however........... When we got done with pushing the air through the veins of the Monte and getting all the water out of the veins (I hope!)via the faucets and outlets on the unit, I crawled under its belly and opened the low point drains for a second time. One of the lines popped slightly with pressurized air when I took the cap off. I got a small amount of water out of it and also out of the other line but no air on the second one! Is this normal or do I have a problem here and need to redo it by pumping the pink stuff through it's veins now? As I said, this is the first time I've winterized using the "air method" because we hope to head South after Christmas and I didn't want to have the pink stuff in the lines while we head South and have to flush it out before using the water system on our way down. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There is a backflow preventer in the winterization ftg ... if you had all the faucets turned off before you removed the air line, that might account for the slight pressurization when opening the low point drain. The down side of winterizing with air is you never get absolutely all the water out ... depending on how the plumbing is routed ... a small amount of water can still pool in any low point after you remove the air source. That said ... I doubt if there will be enough water left in the system to matter provided you let the air blow for several minutes.
PS: Be sure you do pour the pink stuff down all the drains to protect the traps.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Rondo,

I do the air each year also. I do this so I am sure the pink stuff is full strength. I always do the pink since it only takes about 2 to 3 gallons and at $5 or less a gallon I would rather be sure than sorry. I figure there are a lot of things that can freeze that will cost more than the antifreeze.
We only do it to hold until January 2nd as we leave for the south then and I just won't take the chance. Just my opinion though.
Good luck on yours.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Rondo, over the years I have seen many have problems with air winterizing. If you are able to maintain elect. you might just want to bite the bullet and set the heat to come on at 40 and spend the money on propane. This is what I do as Monty is in the backyard and easily supervised and I like to use it in winter. Most days when weather is going to be above freezing, I just turn heat off until I expect it to drop again. Last year it was very cold here and it cost me about $150.00, including travel usage. Just for thought. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We do the air thing too. Start up and head to AZ. G
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
We have used both methods over the years but we have gone with both over the last 15 or so. One is to be sure the pink stuff is at full strength ( as stated in other posts) and we think it helps keep all the rubber gaskets a little lubricated. The first night on our way south in January we give it a good flush and away we go.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I always used the air method with my TT mainly because it didn't have a good connection to pump the pink stuff in with. One year I forgot to tell Joyce to flush the toilet and got to learn how to change a flush valve first thing in the spring. Used the pink stuff on the new Monty. When we head south in February. Since we're going mostly west first we may have to leave the pink stuff in for the first night and rough it depending on what weather systems are in place at the time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I agree with Awaywego for the price and time to install the pink stuff it is worth it water may lay in a faucet and crack the plastic happened to me many years ago using the air method
Since then I use both

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Rondo,

I do the air each year also. I do this so I am sure the pink stuff is full strength. I always do the pink since it only takes about 2 to 3 gallons and at $5 or less a gallon I would rather be sure than sorry. I figure there are a lot of things that can freeze that will cost more than the antifreeze.
We only do it to hold until January 2nd as we leave for the south then and I just won't take the chance. Just my opinion though.
Good luck on yours.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I also use both. Blow it out and then add the pink. On our first stop going south I flush it out. My feeling is, better safe than sorry. It would sure put a damper on our trip to start it off repairing freeze damage.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I have gone to using only the air system as I installed water filters behind the wall in the basement and the pump suction bypasses that part of the system so you end up with water left in the housing. Not to mention that you don't want to push pink stuff through the filter anyway. I still add pink stuff to the traps, toilet bowl, and tanks to take care of the small amount of water that remains in the tanks.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Rondo:
I use the pick stuff method but I am in a little colder weather than you are in Omaha. I put quick close valves on my low points and my fresh water tank drains. What I have done in the past, is fill milk jugs of fresh water or a 5 gallon water container and put it in the shower compartment using that as out fresh water until the lines get flushed out from use.... Works for me...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote