Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Gas flow from 1 tank only

On our 2011 Mountaineer 324RLQ we can only get flow to the regulator from the tank near the regulator. Can not get the indicator on the regulator to switch to green from on the bottle on the entrance side of camper. Yes I did switch the regulator valve to draw from other tank but could not get green indicator. Switched tank to other side nearest the regulator and green indicator came right up.

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Smack it with a screwdriver handle, might have moisture in it that froze, or corroded.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I take your statement "Switched tank to other side nearest the regulator and green indicator came right up" to mean you physically moved the curb side tank to the street side compartment, thus eliminating the tank itself as the problem. Since you know you have propane in both tanks, the only thing left then is the regulator itself.

One other possibility, have you closed the tank valve on the street side (change over regulator will stay green a few moments) switched to curb side and opened the curb side tank valve then tried the stove to see if it burns the fuel accumulated in the line letting the curb side tank produce gas flow.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Could be a number of things. If your dealer is near by take it to them.
If out of warranty or they are not close, some things to try. If that side has never worked it could be the connector hose on that side or the second regulator, on that side. The hose has a safety restrictor in it. I've had both replaced to fix mine.

I hope the screw driver works first.
Good luck with it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Yes I have done as Nosticks said and still no flow from curb side tank, just got back from getting the tank refilled and replaced the just filled tank on curb side, opened the valve then went to street side and switched valve to curb side tank and as soon as I lit the burners they went out and indicator went to red.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Do I understand your post correctly....your auto switch over regulator is on the street side? If so, that's a new one for me; all the Montana fivers I have seen have the auto regulator on the curb side. Of course, I haven't seen them all. Just sayin'.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
My regulator ,and switch is also on the street side, and has the same problem when switched to the curb side no gas flow. Seems like a common problem.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Same exact problem here also. Simple fix, regulator has gone bad, http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/l...over-valve.htm I also purchased the empty tank indicator so now we never run out of gas in the middle of the night on the coldest night of the season. BTW, our regulator is on the street/drivers side also.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Ok which regulator? Have two, one is the switch over (street side) one small red regulator (curb side)?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jliveit

Ok which regulator? Have two, one is the switch over (street side) one small red regulator (curb side)?
The older red regulators were known for going bad....ours was full of pipe thread compound. Not sure if the new ones are better or not.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Got it working, did as the manual said step by step and it worked. With the switch over valve pointed toward the closest tank then go to the farthest tank and cracked the valve until just here gas flow wait one minute the close valve and then slowly open all the way and it worked!!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
I had the same problem, what they found was that the 18 psi. preasure regulator on door side was bad. What hapen is when you opem tank on door side the flow is to fast and the safety valve on tank shuts down the flow. To check this out open the tank valve very slowly and should work OK. Once I replaced the 18 Psi. regulator every thing is OK

Tom
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Do I understand your post correctly....your auto switch over regulator is on the street side? If so, that's a new one for me; all the Montana fivers I have seen have the auto regulator on the curb side. Of course, I haven't seen them all. Just sayin'.
My '06 3400 switchover valve is on the street side also. I have the red regulator on the curb side and all works well and has for the last 4 years.....I must also say I only have one tank on at a time and this keeps me from running out in both at the same time. I'm just saying.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Phil
Since all you can ever pull from is one tank at at time are you saying that you leave the "full" tank valve off until the one you are pulling from runs empty? This, of course, requires that you manually go out and switch over when the tank runs out - 'course you know exactly when this happens (+) but this could be in the middle of a cold night (-).
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
i went thru the same thing, finally replaced the selection valve and they both work fine. This was after checking every conceivable source of problems , it was the less than a year old selection valve. Now both tanks will work . It wasn't the door side regulator, but the selector valve.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
paphog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9574
Had same problem also did as the manual said step by step and it worked this time. Good luck they say it has something to do with leak control that are in the new tanks now that will shut them down
paphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I went through this same thing a while back. I was opening the valve on the tank to fast. I was not used to the safety feature on the tanks. Haven't had a problem after the lesson.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote