Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 04:17 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Lost the Thread

A while back there was a thread where one of the members hooked up their 5r from the tow vehicle using larger wire to keep the house batteries charged while traveling with the residential reefer running. I've searched my bookmarks, notes, user cp and on the MOC but seem to be unable to locate that thread. Any help would be appreciated since I've got a couple of question on his install. Like

1) I'll need to run a power wire into the cab to install a switch for the relay since I have no upfitter switches. How much current will the relay pull? What size fuse?

2) What gets done with the original charge wire in the trailer hookup connector? I suspect simply leave it alone.

3) Are the large fuses he purchased used at each end of the heavy positive wire?

4) What type of conduit was used to protect the large pair of wires running between each battery bank?

I'm planning on doing his project this Spring and have begun collecting the hardware. I may want to run the reefer on long trips this next Summer and not arrive with dead house batteries.

And one more general question. How much more amp hours can I get out of a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries that will fit in my existing battery box? There is about 6" of additional space over the top of the existing 12 volt pair of group 27 now.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
I don't know where the thread is, but I installed a Warn winch quick connect power cable from the engine bay to the rear bumper. I put the connector plug next to the 7-way trailer connector. I use it for my dump trailer power boosting during multiple lifts. I tied it an upfitter switch and also wired into the high idle circuit so it would boost output while stopped. I also have a set of jumper cables with the quick connect plug on one end.

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-32966-Qu...MFGE539S5E4GQ0

on edit: I used split wire loom to protect it along the frame. The large fuses should be close to the truck's and trailer batteries to protect both ends of the system.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
How much battery do you need on arrival and will you be hooking to AC power? Our power went out last summer in 90 degree temps and our Samsung ran like a champ for 13 hours and would have run longer and I only have 2 Group 27 wet cells.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
When I ran a test in 60 degree ambient temps, the reefer ran over 30 hours before the inverter dropped out as the battery reached the 10.5 vdc threshold. Not really good for my group 27 wet cells but I wanted to test them and the inverter. I would most likely never drive over 10 hours in hot weather. But I would hate to get to a campground late in the dark due to some unforeseen emergency and not have battery power to setup camp. My plan it to investigate the 6 volt wet cell format. I just have not discovered if they will really provide more juice in the space I have available. Hence the reason to also investigate a better way to keep them charged when on the road. Better batteries or better charging???