Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #21
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
I agree with rohrmann. I run my G614s at 110 psi. I get great wear and good fuel economy, considering the load. Any one who has upgraded from LR E tires to LR G tires should ignore the manufacturer's sticker on the RV. It will say 80 psi when it needs to be higher.
The sticker (federal certification label) has the minimum PSI setting for the Original Equipment tires. The minimum requirement for replacement tires is a PSI setting that will provide the load capacity the OE tires provided at vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation PSI. All inflation pressures above that recommendation, up to and including tire sidewall MAX, are optional.

CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #22
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I started with OEM E-rated tires and the inflation pressure on the sticker was 80psi. After installing a TPMS and several blowouts and complete tire changes, I finally wised up and got G-rated tires which on the sidewall called for 80-95psi. I knew I needed to use a higher cold inflation pressure but I was not sure how high to go. I decided on 90psi.

When you are rolling the tire pressures quickly rise by 5-10lbs, especially in warm temps. On a trip we would routinely be at 105psi, so I decided that these 5lbs weren't all that critical because the pressures rise anyway.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
I started with OEM E-rated tires and the inflation pressure on the sticker was 80psi. After installing a TPMS and several blowouts and complete tire changes, I finally wised up and got G-rated tires which on the sidewall called for 80-95psi. I knew I needed to use a higher cold inflation pressure but I was not sure how high to go. I decided on 90psi.

When you are rolling the tire pressures quickly rise by 5-10lbs, especially in warm temps. On a trip we would routinely be at 105psi, so I decided that these 5lbs weren't all that critical because the pressures rise anyway.

I have to ask, what G rated tire did you buy that had 80-95 marked on the sidewall.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #24
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
Gladiators. It also says they were made in China! They've been on the trailer for 3+ years and 29,440 miles. And they are showing very little signs of wear.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
Gladiators. It also says they were made in China! They've been on the trailer for 3+ years and 29,440 miles. And they are showing very little signs of wear.
Gladiators, have heard of them ,just not that range of air pressure on G rated tires . Sounds like you are happy with them. Thanks
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #26
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
So to follow up on this, has anyone figured out some sort of graph indicating a pressure temperature relation? So I get up to leave a campground and check all my tire pressures @80 degrees. Shows 100psi. When leaving the next campground the ambient temperature is 28 degrees. Should I now air up my tires to the sticker on the tire and tag on 5r? I know that my TV has a large swing of pressure during large swings in temperature. My tires usually run about 8-10 degrees over the ambient when driving based on my TPMS.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #27
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
masterdrago,

Thanks for your comment.

Moving forward, I do not have a temp/psi graph but let’s make this even harder. One side of the RV is in the shade, one side is in the sun. The tires are covered, or not. One side of the RV has a slide that covers the tires.

Overthinking this whole process.

The morning of departure, regardless of any load or weather, I air my all RV tires to 105psi.

Again, firm believer in k.i.s.s.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
masterdrago,

Thanks for your comment.

Moving forward, I do not have a temp/psi graph but let’s make this even harder. One side of the RV is in the shade, one side is in the sun. The tires are covered, or not. One side of the RV has a slide that covers the tires.

Overthinking this whole process.

The morning of departure, regardless of any load or weather, I air my all RV tires to 105psi.

Again, firm believer in k.i.s.s.
Okay. So it's 57 here now all tire pressures are from 85-90psi. TPMS has to be quenched due to squealing that they are low. If I air to 105 now, how over-pressured will they be when the tire temp is 105. A good guess might be 109 if we read all the info on the newt correctly. I've found real life numbers much higher. As much as 128psi rolling in 95+ weather.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #29
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
All taken into account by the tire manufacturer when they determine the tire’s max psi.

You’ll make yourself crazy thinking about all the what if’s.

Still, and always will believe in k.i.s.s.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #30
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
As was previously stated, tire manufacturers take normal operating conditions into account when designing a tire and specifying the max inflation pressure. Some sources say that for every 10 degrees in temperature variation, you will see a 1-2 psi change in tire pressure. Altitude also affects tire pressure to the tune of about 2-3 psi per 5,000 feet elevation change. Sun on the road and the color of the pavement will also effect tire pressure. On a bright sunny day, a white/gray concrete road will not absorb as much heat as a blacktop road. The tires will pick up some of that heat from the roadway. I carry an infrared thermometer and during rest stops I check road temperature and tire temperatures. I also hub temperatures and disc/drum temperatures. It only takes a couple minutes to check all 8 wheels. Tires on the sunny side of the rig will be warmer than those on the shady side. Proper tire inflation will ensure that the tire is running as cool as it can under the prevailing driving conditions. A cooler tire has less temperature rise. I have started towing days on a valley floor of 1,000 feet at 55 degrees. During the day I would experience temperatures up to 100 degrees and I would have elevation changes of up to 7,500 feet. My TPMS has never screamed at me for tires being over temperature or over pressure and I it set to be more sensitive than the default settings. I stick with 110 psi and I've had good luck for over 80,000 miles.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #31
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
All I know is that the Max Inflation Pressure on the Sidewall is taken at 70 degrees F