Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
How to manage lights and heat if In Command is down?

I don't have this situation (now) but it occurred to me that during the walk thru the guy told me there are ways to override the In Command and I don't recall how to do it?
Any tips?

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Override

...two-thirds vote in the senate?...oops - wrong thread. Sorry.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Fortunately we do not have this feature, which would make me concerned also how to make a down system work. I found a Youtube video that may have the answer:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...b&action=click
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If the In Command goes down you are basically dead in the water regard8ng controlling lights and such..

Also your level up system and slides will have to be manually over ridden to retract or extend

The manual control switches located on the BCM for the slide outs are only applicable to electric slides... hydraulic slides will have to be closed or opened using the manual method of running hyd pump with drill and opening solenoid valve for slide outs on the hyd manifold block
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Very glad we stayed with the old standby manual switches. When ordering the Dealer was really pushing the Digital Pad system, but we declined.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
mr68gts
Established Member

M.O.C. #24185
The In command has a main panel in the basement. From there you should be able to control most of the pertinent things you would need to operate. As far as lights go I am not sure. But all your slides should be able to be brought in as it bypasses the in command panel in the trailer. Not sure if the app on the phone works in the event that the inside panel go out. I would guess it does not.
mr68gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Very glad we stayed with the old standby manual switches. When ordering the Dealer was really pushing the Digital Pad system, but we declined.
I'm with you, I want no parts of the NOT in command system. Ill keep my old school unit.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If you have basic electronic skill sets and can follow this pin out of the BCM it would be real easy to simply pick up DC power from pin 80 on BCM and using a jumper wire with clip on remove output wire from BCM source Device you want to run and provide power to it.

This would be an emergency use only if you were away from any cell service and internet and local help

If your slides are hydraulic the manual over ride buttons on BCM will do NOTHING for your slides or hyd levelers. You will need cordless drill with 1/4 inch Allen stock and 1/8 inch Allen wrench to manually operate hyd pump and open solenoid valves ... period

HVAC and furnace will be dead since you have no way to easily communicate across the CANBUS to provide data to control module for Zone 1 or Zone 2 as well as no furnace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F19996F-CD97-4279-9994-38A1B210ABE3.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	5104  
Old 11-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
The diagram appears to be a 1st generation layout for the 2015-2017 era. The next generation has only two toggle switches and is hardwired with two additional wires for the Monitor. At the MOC rally this year I was having frequent issues with the In-Command, like 4 out of 7 days on the road and got ASA to update the system to the 2nd generation BCM, through Keystone. The battery voltage is critical to this unit and the hydraulics. If your voltage drop is around or under 11.0 DC volts, then the system won't connect or the hydraulics will have a chatter sound from up front. Being connected to shore power or generator is not a direct source for setting up at campgrounds. The battery is on the converter and doesn't rebound quick enough. My short term solution was to use the truck and jumper both batteries, in the case where I depleted my batteries in using the LCI Levels and left my refrigerator on while travelling. Also my 3 year old batteries will be less than reliable come this season.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Latest In Command Global connect NCSP35 series .... principle is the same... if the DC is dead and you can’t use your In Command you could... In an emergency locate 12 VDC coming to BCM and attach a lead to it and disconnect from BCM the + side of the circuit you want to use...such as lights, water pump, etc... HVAC and furnace functions will not work if DC..display commander is down...

If I had this system I’d have me a couple of short jumper wires with SPST toggle switches pre wired and store them so I’d have in case of emergency if In command system failed...

Otherwise you are dead in the water... so to speak

Pic from Jensen ASA website manual for latest In command Global Connect system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9FE7921E-E1A7-4886-9CDB-EEC351875697.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	5109  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
One of the weak links in the latest system is the lousy RJ11 connections used on telephone cable that routes hard wired signal to and from BCM to DC and up to roof to the Zone 1 and Zone 2 air conditioner control modules ...

This is the gateway for ALL HVAC commands including furnace ... with road vibrations and such many folks with this system on many makes of fifth wheels are experiencing intermittent In Command control issues with HVAC and furnace..

The RJ11 connections are cheap and vibrate just enough to loose continuity across the CANBUS hierarchy and the system won’t function properly.

A good preventative check is to remove roof AC covers and reseat these connections and apply a small amount of clear silicone RTV to hold connections in place.