Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #21
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Here's a link to a company that sells a 12 volt DC kit to retrofit a compressor based system into your existing rv refrigerator. No cabinet modifications or inverter required.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/
Just noticed this now, ill take a look thanks

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
Tomzspot
Established Member

M.O.C. #14478
need help fast

Our norcold 1210 finally bit the dust. Service tech, who i trust, said blockage in the system. Needs new cooling system or replace with res fridge. We're leaning toward the res fridge.

We have a 2014 3402RL. Does anybody have any suggestions as to brand that you have good experience with?

Thanks folks!
Tomzspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #23
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzspot View Post
Our norcold 1210 finally bit the dust. Service tech, who i trust, said blockage in the system. Needs new cooling system or replace with res fridge. We're leaning toward the res fridge.

We have a 2014 3402RL. Does anybody have any suggestions as to brand that you have good experience with?

Thanks folks!
I believe there is a kit to replace current RV Fridges cooling unit with a DC compressor. Not sure if I saw it here or on YouTube. I have a residential frig, (from factory), but you will need major upgrades to you battery system if you want to boondock. I have 1,200 watts of solar and 800 AH of Lithium batteries, and on cloudy days, I still have to run the generator for 1-2 hours.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #24
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The samsung rf18 series weights the same as the norcold 1200 series rv fridge. The samsung fits in the same cabinet width as the norcold, but you need to do work to the cabinet space to get needed height for the residential. If not boondocking, then life can be as simple as doing cabinet work, installing fridge, and driving down the road as the samsung will recover it's set temperature for fidget and freezer very quickly without stuff inside getting very warm. Yes, air temp rises, but cold items stay close in temp as when running.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #25
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
X2, no inverter, don’t boondock. On the road ice cream stayed frozen for 9 1/2 hours.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If your not boondocking a LOT then its hard to beat the Residential.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The cooling unit has failed on our Norcold but we have the ESP plan that covered it. We are long timers and we do fine with out double door Norcold
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #28
Tomzspot
Established Member

M.O.C. #14478
Norcold to Samsung install

For those of you that have switched from RV crap (norcold 1210 has to be replaced after only 4 years) to a residential what brand/model and how did you get it into your rig? My door on the 3402 is only 28". The samsung french door FR18 is 28 3/16 w/o the doors on.
Tomzspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #29
zwma6@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #23559
Hello my MONTANA brother...…..I have GREAT news. Yes indeed the stock fridge super-sucks...….everything about it. I put in MAGIC CHEF has a spec / fit 10.1 cubis foot fridge that HUGE inside. Un hook gas valve from outside first......cap it with Teflon wrap. The new fridge fits AWESOME with a tiny space on ALL sides.....BOOM ! Home depot had it 400bucks.....but I saw it later for 369!
zwma6@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #30
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
RF18HFENBSR-2 Samsung has a depth of 24.25 wo doors. 28.14 w doors less handles, 30.6 w handles. We love our Samsung.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #31
zwma6@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #23559
OMG ! I put a MAGIC CHEF 10.1 cubic foot residential fridge in my 2009 MONTANA 5th wheel. SUPER huge inside and works FANTASTIC. Beat up Home Depot on the price. I got wacked 400bucks plus tax but I saw it later on sale $350. SUPER quiet.....amazing fit....like a glove
zwma6@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:30 AM   #32
hixzee

M.O.C. #26625
I want to replace our unit to a residential as well. What brand did you guy use to replace
hixzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:34 AM   #33
hixzee

M.O.C. #26625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinstax View Post
We had the Norcold 2118 in our 2017 Montana 3820FK, and from day one we had nothing but trouble with it. We lost more "RV" enjoyment time from it, DW finally said enough. Had RV fridge pulled out by Modern Trailer Sales in Anderson, IN (still have it if anyone interested in parts), and bought a four door residential fridge that I installed. Problem solved.
Hardest part was securing to cabinet, but rigged tie down on floor of cabinet.
Should have ordered residential from beginning.

What refrigerator did you replace it with?
hixzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:30 PM   #34
Rickatom

M.O.C. #33092
Replace norcold with residential

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Has anyone replace their RV style fridge with a residential style?
My Norcold 2118 uses so much electricity, to the point that at my seasonal site its an extra 50-60 a month just from the fridge, that I am considering removing it from my RV, selling it, and installing a residential style fridge that is much more efficient.
Any one done it before? Is it pretty straight forward, out with the old in with the new? Cap the propane line and be done with it?

thanks
Well I tackled beast this weekend, and I have a story to tell. It is not all that cut and dry, but can be done.

First of all, finding a residential refrigderator that is in stock, at the store, is your first challenge. Best Buy had a nice unit, but had to ne ordered sevetal days out, Home Depot has no inventory and must be ordered. We lucked out with Lowes.
Second challenge was the right unit. The Norcold is 2 door, but not very deep. Our camper. Where the unit sits, is right behind our sink island. I wasnt about to remove that. So I only had 27 inches to get a nrw refridgerator in without the doors.
I, with help from fellow camper, removed the norcold from its spot, and woth a rug under, slid to the door.
Another challenge. Norcold would not fit through the door. I could not make the turn. The fins and the piping in the back would not go, it was too wide. So....
Resort to Youtube....disassemble the norcold. Lots of random screws, unless you have time, dont expect to reassemble the unit. Anyway, finally removed the cabinet in two pieces, along with doors and trays.
Next challenge, reinsulating the empty spot. I used foil sided foam sheets. I cut to fit 3 sides and top. Removed glass insulation. Sprayed adhesive to walls and stuck foam to it. Went to outside removeable vents top znd bottom, cut a second foam board to fill the gap and then used can great stuff to fill in any holes or voids. Tucked away any wiring from 12v system, and plugged gas line. Cleaned the pladyic vdnt covers and foil taped the vents so mo wasps/bugs would get in and nest. Do this on both vents.
Next challenge, is installing new residential refridge you just bought.
We did not go with the small Magic chef unit. It would have bern easier, but smaller and alot more space to fill the void. We chose from Lowes. Fridgidaire model LFTR1835VF....SERIAL. BA32517459..
With the doors removed, and fert removed, it fit through the camper door, but not without a fit. We had to make an immediate left turn alonh a short hallway to get into kitchen. Pushed and tugged it finally went in. On a rug, we slid around the island. With the cabinet handles removed, we lifted the fridge onto the ledge of the slidout. Slid it over about a foot then into place.
I needed to make doors open to left, so swapped hindges. My bottom refridge door will not open completely due to the island. Make sure all shelving is in place before installing doors. Once reassembled, slide unti into the hole. The front feet overhang the slideout frame as well as the doors but not past the slide floor. I am going to build a platform and reface the surrounding cabinet around the fridge to close the gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230813_164223.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	15197   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230813_163614.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	15198  
Rickatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 06:07 AM   #35
Rickatom

M.O.C. #33092
I commented to your post. I need to find it again.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:04 PM   #36
Rickatom

M.O.C. #33092
Thumbs up Replace norcold 2118 with residential

Well I tackled the beast this weekend, and I have a story to tell. It is not all that cut and dry, but can be done.

First of all, finding a residential refrigderator that is in stock, at the store, is your first challenge. Best Buy had a nice unit, but had to ne ordered sevetal days out, Home Depot has no inventory and must be ordered. We lucked out with Lowes.
Second challenge was the right unit. The Norcold is 2 door, but not very deep. Our camper. Where the unit sits, is right behind our sink island. I wasnt about to remove that. So I only had 27 inches to get a nrw refridgerator in without the doors.
I, with help from fellow camper, removed the norcold from its spot, and woth a rug under, slid to the door.
Another challenge. Norcold would not fit through the door. I could not make the turn. The fins and the piping in the back would not go, it was too wide. So....
Resort to Youtube....disassemble the norcold. Lots of random screws, unless you have time, dont expect to reassemble the unit. Anyway, finally removed the cabinet in two pieces, along with doors and trays.
Next challenge, reinsulating the empty spot. I used foil sided foam sheets. I cut to fit 3 sides and top. Removed glass insulation. Sprayed adhesive to walls and stuck foam to it. Went to outside removeable vents top znd bottom, cut a second foam board to fill the gap and then used can great stuff to fill in any holes or voids. Tucked away any wiring from 12v system, and plugged gas line. Cleaned the pladyic vdnt covers and foil taped the vents so mo wasps/bugs would get in and nest. Do this on both vents.
Next challenge, is installing new residential refridge you just bought.
We did not go with the small Magic chef unit. It would have bern easier, but smaller and alot more space to fill the void. We chose from Lowes. Fridgidaire model LFTR1835VF....SERIAL. BA32517459..
With the doors removed, and fert removed, it fit through the camper door, but not without a fit. We had to make an immediate left turn alonh a short hallway to get into kitchen. Pushed and tugged it finally went in. On a rug, we slid around the island. With the cabinet handles removed, we lifted the fridge onto the ledge of the slidout. Slid it over about a foot then into place.
I needed to make doors open to left, so swapped hindges. My bottom refridge door will not open completely due to the island. Make sure all shelving is in place before installing doors. Once reassembled, slide unti into the hole. The front feet overhang the slideout frame as well as the doors but not past the slide floor. I am going to build a platform and reface the surrounding cabinet around the fridge to close the gap.