Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
They said "no towing" on my 2007. Not that I was even thinking of it, But I believe that frames before 2007, at least, (and w/ 6K axles) are definitely not recommended for towing anything. I probably wouldn't try it with mine...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Our 2012 Montana manual stated the factory installed hitch was good for a maximum of 200 lbs. In my opinion it was not even good for that amount and I beefed mine up simply to carry two bikes.

There is no problem with a 2" receiver being capable of handling 3000 lbs, what they don't show in the information is the method of attachment to the existing frame. That is where the problems occur and what in the past has supposedly voided your warranty.

I would be interested in the method of attachment to their frame, seeing the rest of the hitch would have given us some idea about that.

Not legal to triple tow where I live so it really is redundant but nonetheless of great interest with respect to the frame.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Most posts seem mostly concerned with the legality of the issue. I would never have double towed our 07 3400RL with the cheap/weak frame it had. I'd have been more concerned with something breaking or coming loose than getting stopped by a LEO. Don't have that problem now, the MH has 15,000# tow rating.
Glad you like your MH, but it time to quit knocking our cheap/ weak Montanas. Some of us really like them.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #24
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Most posts seem mostly concerned with the legality of the issue. I would never have double towed our 07 3400RL with the cheap/weak frame it had. I'd have been more concerned with something breaking or coming loose than getting stopped by a LEO. Don't have that problem now, the MH has 15,000# tow rating.
Glad you like your MH, but it time to quit knocking our cheap/ weak Montanas. Some of us really like them.
I'm not knocking the Montanas...we loved ours. If we were to return to a 5th wheel, it would be another Montana. Towing capability between a MH and a 5th wheel pulled by a P/U is an apples to oranges comparison...that's the reason for the smiley face.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #25
bennettommyd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12931
Used to tow my 19' Ranger bass boat behind a SOB with a 2005 2500HD Chevy in CA, yep it's legal up to 65' (75' in certain situations) and have to have a class A with a doubles endorsement and air brake restriction , unless you're a trucker. Never had any kind of problems and even got pulled over by CHP and checked on the first trip, just over 62'.

I would never attempt with my Monty, too long and heavy.
bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote