Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
tfly5er

M.O.C. #7238
Send a message via Yahoo to tfly5er
Slides retract part way and stop

We have a 2007 Montana, 34RL. Over the past year the slides start coming in and stop. You hear a click and then start the retraction again and the slide will continue retracting. But the same thing happens on all the slides. We have replaced the breakers and lubed the slides but the problem persists. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Tfly5er

tfly5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
This one has been discussed quite a bit over time. Do a search and you should find a number of threads. What size is the breaker? It should be mounted somewhere on the front wall near the battery. A number of folks have installed a second breaker in parallel with the first one, I believe these were 30 amp breakers. I was having the problem and my breaker was a 40 amp breaker. I apparently was lucky, as I replaced the breaker and I have been good now for the last 2 or 3 years.

Good luck!
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Tom,

bw2 is very close with the explanation and here's what I did.

When I had this problem another member sent me information to add a second autoresetting circuit breaker as a fix. There is a second solution to replace the existing breaker with a larger one (80 to 100 amps) but you will find that the larger breaker is not only hard to locate it is very expensive.

I chose the cheaper solution of the parallel 40 amp breakers. In fact, this was so less expensive I replaced the single 40 amp autoresettable circuit breakers with two brand new ones so they would be of the same age. It required building a couple of "shunts" to connect between the CBs, and making room for the second CB, but it's not really that difficult if you have all the right tools, parts and information.

Here's a link to a picture of my implementation:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/u...855-shrunk.jpg

Email me or PM me if you are interested. I can then provide all the information to you if you think this is your remedy.

I have been very happy with this fix.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Tfly5er,
I sent you an e-mail. When you reply I will send you a document detailing the fix the Lippert recommends for this problem.
Jack
Old 04-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
waltmacq

M.O.C. #11346
I am still having a problem with my slides. A dealer replaced the breakers with 2 50 amps and they still stall. I have a 2008 Big Sky with 4 slides and it happens with the third and fourth slides. It takes about 4 stops to get them in. Someone suggested 2 80 amps. I don't know if the ones installed are auto reset or not. Does that make a difference?
waltmacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You definitely DO NOT want 2 80 amps (160 amps total). According to Lippert, never exceed 100 amps total. They should be autoreset. But if you weren't using autoreset, you would not be able to continue with any slide movement so I think they are automatically resetting.

Other problem causes for slideout operations are reservoir not full (must be 1/2" from the top when the slides are in), weak battery, too much movement when the slides are in operation (make sure the RV is leveled and stabilizers are down, or slides are out of adjustment or need maintenance. Check the user manual about these problems.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I had the same thing on our slides and Montana told me to put an 80 amp breaker on them (after they talked to Lippert). I had a dealer order it from Montana and installed it and no more problems.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote