Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
Overnight near Benson, Az.

I need to make an overnight stop near Benson Az. on the way to Texas. Any ideas? I saw Texas Canyon rest stop on I-10. Anyone know if overnight is O.K?

craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I don't think the Texas Canyon rest area allows any overnight setups. It's not that big and there are a lot of trucks that pass through there daily-- day and night. We stay in Benson at Valley Vista RV Park and I'm sure they have room for you to set up for a night. There are a lot of RV parks in the Benson area and also a Walmart that as of last winter that allow overnight stays. You can't set up for full camping such as slides out and etc but it do allow overnighters. Just go inside the store and ask permission to do it. It's best if you also purchase something there as a thank you for letting you stay.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kartchner Caverns State Park is a good spot. While the TX Canyon rest stop is fairly small, I don't believe anyone would chase you out.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I checked allstays and Walmart has signs but don’t enforce the issue. It’s a city thing but they don’t check. Easy on and off I10. Said to park by garden center out towards the road. Unless you get to the rest stop early the trucks start piling in and use the ramps also. We found that if you don’t run your slides all the way out your basically not camping, just resting.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Where the thing is just past Benson AZ lets you park in there area for free up to 10 hours. Only problem you have to share with trucks in for the night and running engines all night long
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
b.o.plenty
Established Member

M.O.C. #17854
I wouldn't park anywhere near that Walmart in Benson. Between there and the truckstop west of town they're the area hub for bums and panhandlers. Nasty place, never liked going near there even in the daytime. The whole I-10 corridor along there is overpopulated with bums looking for a hand out. It's the weather that must attract them. Go to one of the many RV parks in the area for your own safety. The more you spend the nicer they are. Spent 3 Winters there so I know what I speak of.
b.o.plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Coming east out of Tucson, Lazy Days RV dealer has a beautiful rv park.
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
b.o.plenty
Established Member

M.O.C. #17854
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILAELKHUNTER View Post
Coming east out of Tucson, Lazy Days RV dealer has a beautiful rv park.
Yes they do. It's only 40 miles west of Benson.
b.o.plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We're in Benson right now.unless you're committed to staying on the cheap, About any RV Park in town has spaces due to the coronavirus.the rest area you speak of just east of Benson is going to be pretty darn noisy with all the traffic on I-10.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.o.plenty View Post
I wouldn't park anywhere near that Walmart in Benson. Between there and the truckstop west of town they're the area hub for bums and panhandlers. Nasty place, never liked going near there even in the daytime. The whole I-10 corridor along there is overpopulated with bums looking for a hand out. It's the weather that must attract them. Go to one of the many RV parks in the area for your own safety. The more you spend the nicer they are. Spent 3 Winters there so I know what I speak of.

I guess I have been lucky, I have stayed in the truck stops and roadside rest stop there in Benson area and have not been bothered with anyone. I know that the truck stop (Loves) has security there all night long. But I do know what your saying about the people in that area. Boarder towns and south AZ have a problems for a long time down there.
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #11
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
overnite in texas rest areas

Sept of last year we went to the Texas State Fair. Looking for overnite stops we found that Texas has made some of their rest areas "Safe overnite stops"and even had free coffee in the A.M. and all nite security patrols. Louisiana and Mississippi had the same. We stayed in one in Texas on I-20 and one in Louisiana on I-10or the I -? that bypasses New Orleans on the trip back eastbound.. I think I got the info from the state DOT sites or State Tourism sites.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
walmart is fine.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We’ve stayed overnight a number of times at the Benson I-10 RV Park.
It’s not fancy but is at an easy on and off the interstate and far enough away from the highway that it’s quiet.
840 N Ocotillo St
Benson AZ 85602
(800) 599-0081
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know this is way past when the OP started this thread, but 2 weeks ago there was only one RV Park in Benson taking overnighters do the coronavirus. That park was Valley Vista. Things may be the same or things might have changed since then.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We are still at Valley Vista RV Park and won't be leaving until this Virus thing settles down some. We have been the only park in the area open for overnight and etc stays for the past couple of weeks and effective tomorrow, Tuesday, April 7th, the park will be closed to ALL NEW RESERVATIONS AND INCOMING UNITS . The Office has been manned and the workers are here BUT the pool and clubhouse has been closed for the past week or more. The only access to the clubhouse is the mailroom, laundry and restrooms. Sorry!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Rondo ... we were there for a week the week of the 16th of March. They told us they were expecting to have to turn away new arrivals soon when we left. Were you in the group of 4 or so Montanas set up on the south west corner? We were on the north side of the wash west end. We are back in KS now, but had no trouble staying 2 nights each at Deming, Alamogordo, and Tucumcari on our way back. Might have been just luck.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
See this if you need to move about the country.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=80776