Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Norcold Seal is Not Closing

I know I've seen others with this issue but I cannot find the thread. The flap on the left door on my Norcold 2118 is hanging on the bottom of the frig and doesn't automatically flip closed. I've been manually doing it but I thought I saw a fix for adding a washer (shim) to the bottom hinge. I'm looking for guidance on how to do that. When I pick up the door the flap swings clear.
Any ideas?

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Look Here:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...etic+door+flap
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ight=door+flap

Do a Search on "door flap" to find even more references.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
I found this on an RV forum. It works for us. We have to adjust it a couple of times a year. Only takes a minute, easy to do and doesn't cost money.

"If the flap in your fridge is not closing completely, you need to raise the left door with the adjustment screw that is mounted in the center of the bottom hinges (on both fridge doors). Lay down on the floor and while applying upward pressure to the bottom of the left door, adjust the set screw counter-clockwise. Rotate it a couple of turns. Then check the flap for free movement. Continue raising the door with the set screw until the flap swings freely."
Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
I found this on an RV forum. It works for us. We have to adjust it a couple of times a year. Only takes a minute, easy to do and doesn't cost money.

"If the flap in your fridge is not closing completely, you need to raise the left door with the adjustment screw that is mounted in the center of the bottom hinges (on both fridge doors). Lay down on the floor and while applying upward pressure to the bottom of the left door, adjust the set screw counter-clockwise. Rotate it a couple of turns. Then check the flap for free movement. Continue raising the door with the set screw until the flap swings freely."
Thanks. There is no set screw on mine. I'll have to add a washer to raise the door.

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Some years ago, when we had to have a cooling unit replaced, the mobile tech removed the doors to make it easier to remove the fridge. After the replacement and he was re-installing the doors, he took an adjustable wrench and on the lower left hinge bracket he bent it up slightly. He said, on the four door fridges, ours is the 12 cu ft model, the weight of the door and the movement while traveling causes the hinge to bend down a bit and this causes the door flap and the door to drag. The door worked much better after bending the hinge bracket.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I recently noticed both our fridge doors were scraping on the bottom of the fridge cabinet causing the doors to not close at the bottom all the way. I propped up the doors and removed the bottom hinges and slipped on 3 stainless washers over the hinge pins. They open and close great now.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I recently noticed both our fridge doors were scraping on the bottom of the fridge cabinet causing the doors to not close at the bottom all the way. I propped up the doors and removed the bottom hinges and slipped on 3 stainless washers over the hinge pins. They open and close great now.
I will be doing that too. I have already put a nylon "C" washer in the left door. Time for more intervention.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I think my messing with it made me realize why the fridge ceiling was sometimes like a rain forest dripping water all over the fridge. It was not sealing, letting it all the humidity.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote