Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
MxBound
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23272
Adding a remote to my fridge fans ?

Would a 12v, 30 amp, work okay ?
Instead of waiting for the heat to build, I could just hit the remote, and get em going.

MxBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mark, You might want to look into the ARP system for RV refrigerators. They monitor the temp of the unit and shut it down when the heat builds up on the evap tube.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
You don't need a 30 amp fuse - the fans are no more then a bit heavier duty computer case cooling fans, 90mm IIRC. You probably don't need a fuse at all.

You can add a pair of secondary fans either blowing in at the bottom vent or blowing out at the top, actuated by a thermo snap switch. I added 120mm, 52 cfm each outlet vent fans started by an adjustable snap switch set at about 130 degrees. The fridge runs one setting lower and is colder at that lower setting

You can also disconnect the existing snap switch and install a lower setting version.

I would probably not just bypass the existing snap switch, adding just a toggle switch. CRS is a terrible affliction which all of us suffer at some point. If you are out touring or at an event, miles away and that "Aw $#&%" expression come to mind, your day might be ruined.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
MxBound
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23272
There are 4 fans mounted at the top of the fridge, just below the top vent.
They are kinda loud, so forgetting about them wouldn't be a problem.
I'm just thinking of a manual over ride before the heat builds up to 90 to 130 degrees.
We are planning on traveling Baja for a year.
Instead of waiting for the heat to build, vent it early.
MxBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Your definitely thinking on the right track but make it easy on yourself and install a fully automatic thermal snap switch as stated above. My problem would be remembering to turn the fans on with the remote. As you mentioned, its too late after you hear the existing four fans. They don't kick on until 130 degrees. The snap switches are also available with an adjustable on/off range for your preferred temps.

I installed two extra fans blowing up from the bottom through a 90 degree ON rated snap switch. They are much quieter, blow more air and use less amperage than the existing fans. I've only heard the existing four fans kick on when dry camping in very hot temps with refrig on propane. Along with some baffle work to route the air directly out the top vent, our refrig is working excellent even on the hottest of days in direct sunlight. I've actually had to turn it down to keep from freezing things.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
two extra fans

I had to replace the cooling unit in my Dometic refrigerator so i upgraded it with a heavy duty unit. The original unit had 4 fans but I had to remove one of the fans due to heavier duty/ more tubing. What I ended up doing was getting a set of water and dust proof dual fans. I mounted them on the top vent pulling air out of the top of the unit. I wired them into the relay that controls the other fans. The nice thing about them is that they are very very quiet. it really helps to draw out the hot air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CruzinMooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
Your definitely thinking on the right track but make it easy on yourself and install a fully automatic thermal snap switch as stated above. My problem would be remembering to turn the fans on with the remote. As you mentioned, its too late after you hear the existing four fans. They don't kick on until 130 degrees. The snap switches are also available with an adjustable on/off range for your preferred temps.

I installed two extra fans blowing up from the bottom through a 90 degree ON rated snap switch. They are much quieter, blow more air and use less amperage than the existing fans. I've only heard the existing four fans kick on when dry camping in very hot temps with refrig on propane. Along with some baffle work to route the air directly out the top vent, our refrig is working excellent even on the hottest of days in direct sunlight. I've actually had to turn it down to keep from freezing things.

Maybe you could share a picture or 2 of your setup. Would like to see what you have done.
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote